Depression patient stranded in UK to be flown back soon

snoop1130

Depression patient stranded in UK to be flown back soon

By The Nation

800_9d1ca654004e597.jpg

No effort is being spared to help bring back a Thai depression patient home as soon as possible, especially since she has been without medication for three months and her condition is worsening. The authorities also have to ensure that 49 other cases requiring urgent treatment also board the same flight in Amsterdam.

Dr Eakaphum Chumnanrabiamkit, who represents Thais in the United Kingdom, said on Wednesday (July 8 ) that Thai officials were coordinating with an airline details about bringing Thai patients back home. He said he has also been in touch with other stranded Thai travellers via the Line application.

“I have been contacted about the case of the patient with severe depression. The date of the flight will be confirmed soon. Another 49 cases also require urgent treatment and it is being discussed in detail via Line,” the doctor said.

Recently, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesperson for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said at least 600 Thais stranded in the United Kingdom have contacted the committee. The returnees will have to either take a chartered flight or travel on an airplane that is fully equipped to prevent Covid-19 infections.

The CCSA is currently coordinating with the Foreign Affair Ministry to provide flights at other airports as well.

Currently, arrangements are being made for Thai patients to board a flight at Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport, while the ministry is working on procuring more flights and should announce them soon.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390954

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-08

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's good that efforts are being made to repatriate as many stranded people as possible. 

However, this issue also highlights how little has been done to repatriate Thai’s and those others wishing to return home to Thailand.

Additionally, there is no reason that a person (foreign or otherwise) will be without medication while in the UK. 

If this poor person is suffering from depression and requires ongoing medication after being stranded in the UK they can register with a local GP as a temporary resident and be seen by a GP (after an initial phone consultation) - their medical insurance will cover the cost of the visit and medication if necessary. 

Your probably right but people who are depressed are not always making the right decisions. I have known cases that totally go of the rails and its hard to get them back on meds ore thinking straight.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats some chip in your shoulder, perhaps weighing you down so heavily because the UK is certainly no mongers paradise !!!!

The weather in the UK has been astonishing since April (although it is wet this week).

In this time while stuck in the UK (unable to get back to Thailand) I’ve enjoyed more BBQ’s and spent more time in the sun and enjoyed being outdoors than I do in Thailand. 

I put the UK on par with my home country.. depressing. Not an insult at all.. just how i think about it. Not about girls but weather and just how things are. For me the sun in Thailand makes life a lot more fun. Now that its rainy season i notice it on my mood at times. Give me sun and my mood is great.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, faraday said:

A particularly daft comment, which not only contributes nothing of worth, but highlights a complete lack of experience.

I disagree, for me a week in overcast dark and wet conditions (stuff hat happens a lot in the UK and Netherlands) and I am a lot less happy then a week of Thai sunshine. Sunlight is something that works on depression and mood. I always really hated winter and autumn especially when it was rainy and overcast. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/benefits-sunlight#:~:text=Sunlight and darkness trigger the,person feel calm and focused.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I disagree, for me a week in overcast dark and wet conditions (stuff hat happens a lot in the UK and Netherlands) and I am a lot less happy then a week of Thai sunshine. Sunlight is something that works on depression and mood. I always really hated winter and autumn especially when it was rainy and overcast. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/benefits-sunlight#:~:text=Sunlight and darkness trigger the,person feel calm and focused.

Never spent much time in the UK or Netherlands but once spent a month in Saarbrucken in November. Never saw the sun once, all businesses seemed to close by 5pm and the diet was kartofel this and kartofel that breakfast, lunch and dinner.

After the second day started marking the days left in the wretched place on a calendar. And I was the happiest person on the flight back to Michigan winter.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats some chip in your shoulder, perhaps weighing you down so heavily because the UK is certainly no mongers paradise !!!!

The weather in the UK has been astonishing since April (although it is wet this week).

In this time while stuck in the UK (unable to get back to Thailand) I’ve enjoyed more BBQ’s and spent more time in the sun and enjoyed being outdoors than I do in Thailand. 

He's missing his little tattooed, ignorant, som tum scoffing bar girl

Can anyone elaborate here on what's going on in the U.K. regarding the Thai Nationals unable to board a repatriation flight?

As per the article the patient will have to board a flight originating in Amsterdam.

Why not in the U.K.?

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree. The on his shoulder indicates character defects that may have gone long untreated.

11 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Why is that airplane in the photo flying at such an angle that close to the airport?

And who took the photo?  Was it on a fast drone following the plane??  (Sorry, totally off-topic...)

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

And who took the photo?  Was it on a fast drone following the plane??  (Sorry, totally off-topic...)

That looks like a superimposed picture of a plane, after all, what flight path would take a passenger jet across the centre of a an airport, between runways, at that altitude!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, johnray said:

She was fine before she came to the UK.  The world's most depressing place.  A week in that overcast soggy sh*thole will give anyone depression.

Nonsense. It's been spring and summer , the s***hole is the junta controlled place she's returning to

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's good that efforts are being made to repatriate as many stranded people as possible. 

However, this issue also highlights how little has been done to repatriate Thai’s and those others wishing to return home to Thailand.

Additionally, there is no reason that a person (foreign or otherwise) will be without medication while in the UK. 

If this poor person is suffering from depression and requires ongoing medication after being stranded in the UK they can register with a local GP as a temporary resident and be seen by a GP (after an initial phone consultation) - their medical insurance will cover the cost of the visit and medication if necessary. 

Yes i was surprised at no medication.uk is very good at treating ppl for free.i should know when my sister was in hospital many foreigners ad no insurance and the nurses just say what can we do we have to treat then

1 hour ago, Trillian said:

That looks like a superimposed picture of a plane, after all, what flight path would take a passenger jet across the centre of a an airport, between runways, at that altitude!

And ex-Russian fighter pilot having another relapse at the controls.  

14 hours ago, robblok said:

Your probably right but people who are depressed are not always making the right decisions. I have known cases that totally go of the rails and its hard to get them back on meds ore thinking straight.

Hopefully this person his not by themselves then in uk .last thing to worry about there is free medical 

16 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Why is that airplane in the photo flying at such an angle that close to the airport?

Sorry, there was no room to squeeze in the caption which reads

'A resident of a condominium captured this image on his phone seconds before impact'

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In all honesty, I come from a fairly non immigrant Southern part of the UK - though now growing slowly. I am currently having to stay in Blackpool as I cannot get back to Thailand. Every day I walk along the seafront - and it's like the ganges here or Islamabadpool. Literally Asians outnumber whites by 2 or 3 to one. Families of 20 or 30 blocking all the paths. It does not feel like the UK I know or loved here. I feel far more British in Thailand than I do in Britain. I'm depressed as a UK resident  and it's my country !!! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed. I'm stuck in N. Wales and apart from this week there's been almost constant horizon to horizon blue sky and sun. Would still like to go home one day though. ????

20 hours ago, johnray said:

She was fine before she came to the UK.  The world's most depressing place.  A week in that overcast soggy sh*thole will give anyone depression.

Nah, not even close to most depressing. Try Finland in November. You'll be looking for something to cut your wrists with within 15mins.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:06 PM, robblok said:

I put the UK on par with my home country.. depressing. Not an insult at all.. just how i think about it. Not about girls but weather and just how things are. For me the sun in Thailand makes life a lot more fun. Now that its rainy season i notice it on my mood at times. Give me sun and my mood is great.

The trick is to enjoy the green hills and clean air during spring and summer and vacate for a winter long break to Thailand ASAP before the dark winter nights set in. Although I also don't mind the cold either  - its the dark and the fact no one else wants to do anything in cold months because its too cold for anyone to peak outside their front door -- that gets old quick.

As for the article it is written as if the Thai lady is unable to access medical treatment in the UK which is complete nonsense.

Edited by NightSky

4 minutes ago, NightSky said:

The trick is to enjoy the green hills and clean air during spring and summer and vacate for a winter long break to Thailand ASAP before the dark winter nights set in. Although I also don't mind the cold either  - its the dark and the fact no one else wants to do anything in cold months because its too cold for anyone to peak outside their front door -- that gets old quick.

As for the article it is written as if the Thai lady is unable to access medical treatment in the UK which is complete nonsense.

My experience in the Netherlands was that you could not predict the weather in spring - summer. It could change so easy that it was hard to do anything. Easier of course if you were retired but while working you could not say lets take Friday off it will be good weather as you never knew. They predicted one thing but it could change so easy. 

So I moved to Thailand permanently.. its always warm in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

My experience in the Netherlands was that you could not predict the weather in spring - summer. It could change so easy that it was hard to do anything. Easier of course if you were retired but while working you could not say lets take Friday off it will be good weather as you never knew. They predicted one thing but it could change so easy. 

So I moved to Thailand permanently.. its always warm in Thailand.

Don’t you think the same could be said of Thailand for much of the year.

What will the weather be doing next Friday? Is it going to be torrential rain? or dry all day?

It is always warm and humid, so at least we don’t have the cold to deal with. 

In the UK its not cold for 5 months of the year - its quite a comfortable temperature. 

The issue is whether or not its going to ‘drizzle’ which I agree can be depressing, as can the coldness and darkness of winter. But that is offset by comfortable summer with nights that don’t get dark until nearly 10pm. 

Each to their own, but I find the Spring, Summer and Autumn weather in England better than the Weather in Thailand. 

I find the 3-5 months of cold and wet Winter Weather in England worse than the weather in Thailand. 

• Like 1