UK to review potentially faulty England COVID-19 death data

snoop1130

UK to review potentially faulty England COVID-19 death data

By Andrew MacAskill

2020-07-17T105459Z_1_LYNXNPEG6G0P3_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

A sign advising people to refrain from entering if experiencing the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) symptoms is pictured at a job centre in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Britain July 16, 2020. REUTERS/Carl Recine

LONDON (Reuters) - Health Minister Matt Hancock ordered a review into how England reports coronavirus deaths, after academics said the daily figures may include people who have died of other causes.    The way Public Health England, a government agency responsible for managing infectious disease outbreaks, calculates the figures means they might look worse there than in other parts of the United Kingdom, according to two academics.

Britain has been the European country worst hit by the virus, with an official death toll of more 45,000. But the government has said international comparisons are misleading because countries record coronavirus deaths differently.

Yoon Loke, from the University of East Anglia, and Carl Heneghan, from the University of Oxford, said Public Health England cross-checks the latest notifications of deaths against a database of positive test results – so anyone who has tested positive can be recorded as dying from the virus.

"Matt Hancock is going to be doing a review of those statistics with Public Health England," Prime Minister Boris Johnson told a media conference on Friday.

In a blog called "Why no-one can recover from COVID-19 in England", the academics said that patients who tested positive for coronavirus, but are successfully treated, will still be counted as dying from the virus "even if they had a heart attack or were run over by a bus three months later".

The academics said this was the reason why England's death figures vary substantially from day to day.

The same approach is not used in other parts of the United Kingdom. In Scotland, there is a 28-day cut-off, after which a patient who has tested positive is not automatically considered to have died from the virus.

Office for National Statistics figures on excess deaths in Britain show more than 64,000 people have died than usual during the coronavirus pandemic. Many health experts focus on those rather than the official COVID-19 toll.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-17

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Office for National Statistics figures on excess deaths in Britain show more than 64,000 people have died than usual during the coronavirus pandemic.

The OP doesn't state where the "usual" number of deaths is taken from, or over what period of time. Annual/monthly deaths stats can vary a lot.

However, looking at the stats from 2000 to 2018, it's pretty obvious that an extra 64,000 deaths (even over a period of 6 months) is a hefty increase.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281488/number-of-deaths-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this appears to be in line with the levels of competence shown so far,ferguson etc and the other govt experts told us massive nos,they have a lot on the line.credibility,perhaps jail certainly future employment so we see padded figures.not a surprise we have consistently seen this type of behaviour at govt,local govt and police level.it needs a public enquiry into this pattern of behaviour.it appears a corrupt pattern to pad a political agenda,IE paedophilia as well as covid.the heath ,cliff richard cases showed collusion with media and police and then the mass rapes by asian gangs showed collusion with police and local govt,this is another bigger and again disturbing aspect of govt UK.look at the embassy here.incompetence ,self interest, arrogance etc and we are paying for all of the above,there needs to be accountability or it is massively corrupt.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, superal said:

The UK hospitals receive a payment from the government when a patient dies with or from the covid 19 virus 

Really ?  I though they where funded  by the NHS on a set budget.

I heard the claim that American hospitals are getting paid more for WuFlu patients.

46 minutes ago, johng said:

Really ?  I though they where funded  by the NHS on a set budget.

I heard the claim that American hospitals are getting paid more for WuFlu patients.

58 minutes ago, superal said:

The UK hospitals receive a payment from the government when a patient dies with or from the covid 19 virus 

As was told to me by a friend whose auntie was in the ICU and the message given by the duty doctor

15 minutes ago, superal said:

The UK hospitals receive a payment from the government when a patient dies with or from the covid 19 virus 

As was told to me by a friend whose auntie was in the ICU and the message given by the duty doctor

See here for US, https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/21/facebook-posts/Fact-check-Hospitals-COVID-19-payments/ not true, and here for UK, https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-death-certificate/false-claim-uk-doctors-get-75-for-signing-death-certificates-120-if-patient-had-covid-19-idUSKBN22X2LD, not true.

Something like this would be all over the net if true.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, superal said:

I suspect your aunt was delirious.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

1/ Not my aunt  2/ Statement made by duty doctor 3/ Please read post slowly so as you can understand and give a decent reply

8 minutes ago, superal said:

1/ Not my aunt  2/ Statement made by duty doctor 3/ Please read post slowly so as you can understand and give a decent reply

Maybe post more clearly? Now it is not possible to deduct who the doctor made the statement to, your friend or his aunt.

Reply has been given already btw, no extra payments for covid deaths.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2020 at 8:26 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Clutching at straws.

No they're not. Deaths have been to easily recorded as due to this virus.

Unlike some other countries who started re-writing their procedures to make their figures look suddenly a lot better.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:34 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

At least his, or is it his friend's aunt. isn't constantly confused by seemingly simple straight forward posts on Thai Visa forum. Unlike some ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

No they're not. Deaths have been to easily recorded as due to this virus.

Unlike some other countries who started re-writing their procedures to make their figures look suddenly a lot better.

Far to many people are not tested and die, and often death not recorded as Covid. As has been said many times, the most reliable statistic is excess deaths (deaths above the 5 year average for that month). That stands at 64,000. With no other known cause for this, it is the most reliable indicator of probable Covid mortality. End of debate.

To put it in a different context, compared to the first world war, on average 15,000 British soldiers died each month, while in the first half of this year, on average over 10,000 people died of Covid each month in the UK (assuming deaths began in January).