SURVEY: Do you think Thailand is becoming less tolerant of foreigners?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you think Thailand is becoming less tolerant of foreigners?   

592 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can't really answer as poll does not distinguish between tourist foreigners and resident foreigners.

For tourist foreigners I'd say they'll be less tolerated than before once they start arriving. And the tolerance level will be vastly different between westerners and Chinese with the Chinese probably receiving the least tolerance. 

For resident, PR, retired, family etc. foreigners I'd say about the same or more. For myself I've found more acceptance being Thai speaking and having helped out during the crisis. Even had one young child refer to me as santa claus ???? when I gave her one of my food packages. 

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

I think it all depends on where you are talking about 

Ie Pattaya they put up with the tourist as it's all about money

Outside of the tourist areas I find most Thais are okay smiling and friendly 

When you speak with them a smile counts for a lot 

Having lived up here for five years there has been no change on a personal level from those that who know that I am a local, but those that do not seem to be less acceptable. Since the Covid the family are more suspicious of all other foreigners, especially the Chinese even though they do not know any.

• Like 2

These are unprecedented times & the Thais are scared of the future from the bottom to midde class 

(if I may use that expression) who are saddled maybe with a mortgage & HP for the car & not sure if they are going to be able to pay.

Their conception is that overseas people are riddled with Covid (not far wrong at present)

& so anyhing that further threatens their existence is obviously viewed as a problem..

I cannot blame them for that.

Personally I have found the Thais in the big smoke to be very helpful & cncerned as a long time 

resident that I stay safe

• Like 1

Do you think Thailand is becoming less tolerant of foreigners?

IMO Thai people as individuals haven't changed much but  they on the top  have worked hard with it since 2001 with the introduction of "mister sale/be number one only count minister" at the helm. ????

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Ditto, last year I had been in a shop,pulled the keys out of my pocket

and my driving licence an Makro card must have fallen out too,i did

not know till i got home,so quickly returned to Makro,nobody had handed

in there,next shop,greeted by smiling guard,with cards in his hand

thanked him profusely ,they could have been replaced,but the drivers

licence would have been a headache

regards worgeordie

Same, same but different ... left my hat from home at an Amazon Cafe the other day. Almost home and ... damn! Went back and there is was where it was left. No one Had touched it. oK, OK ... maybe less chance of someone touching an article of clothing belonging to someone else right now.

I noticed right around the 2010 time period there was a change in Thai people's attitudes towards foreigners, and by 2016 or so it had come to all out exhaustion with foreigners. I don't see much change it attitudes toward foreigners. In the education field I work in its been the same since 2009. Foreigners aren't particularly liked, just furniture in the office, and a robot in the classroom.

• Like 1

I live mostly in Singburi and I rarely ever see another Farang.   I have nothing but good things to say about all the Thais I encounter.  I smile and do my best to communicate.  I wish I spoke better Thai for I am always meeting interesting folks that could be friends.

The thai people haven’t changed much however this government over the years only made it more complicated to stay for long term staying foreigners. So many of these “expats” have left and wont return anymore. This negative trend also made short term holiday makers looking for other destinations for their holidays favoring Vietnam and Phillipines for example.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm....Xenophobic comes to mind. To describe foreigners in your legislation as “aliens” sums it up really. Your money is welcome but you are not.

Your last sentence would apply to the government, not the ordinary Thai people.

15 hours ago, Scott said:

In your opinion, is Thailand becoming less friendly and open to foreigners?   Chose the option that best fits your thoughts on the situation.  

There is no suitable option.

The Thai government is becoming less tolerant of white foreigners.

The Thai government loves Chinese foreigners.

I don't think the Thai people have changed, they probably prefer Westerners to Chinese.

• Like 2

i feel less welcome than i did 25 yrs ago when i first visited this part of the world.the cultures definately xenophobic it follows in many ways the chinese confucian model.govt endeavours to make things more difficult and in tourist areas we are regarded as milk cows barely human by many people.a total lack of respect in regards the blatent racist pricing scams ,some govt backed.in areas away from mass tourism its easier but your always the farang in local parlance and so accorded fewer rights or understanding.they will usually take the locals part in any accident or dispute with out regard to facts or even listening to the other side of the story.it isnt always true of course but a trend for sure,many other countries have these problems but have moved forward in regards to tackling them,thats not the case here and the present govt accentuates the negative in regards to foreigners and uses it to cement itself further.many individuals are fine but the country is less appealing than it was 2 or 3 decades ago.i have to stay here but i hope soon i will be free of obligations and can get out,move on.covid is not a help in such a situation,others may feel differently and we all have different perspectives and experiences but this certainly isnt the only game in town,in the region we have a lot of options and further afield more still.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

What I have seen is since the coup it is the officials who do not want us here. Which rightly or wrongly, I attribute to a completely xenophobic racist government "Elite" being in charge. They want the money but not the people. I have seen no real change in the attitude of the everyday Thai that I interact with, both in the town and the village.

Same where I live up country, has never changed since I've been here. But, even years back, the odd time I went down south, I noticed it wasn't as friendly as where I lived...

I always thought perhaps down south they were dealing with farang odd-balls on a daily basis and it took its toll....????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Well, 30 years ago you didnt see the rubbish Ferangs you see now, so its more tolerant imo

If you are still in thailand wouldnt you then be one of the rubbish farangs they see now?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Personally, I assume that the majority of people who voted for option 1 either don't live here or are bar mongers who have missed their beer and girls too much.

Fact is - see the polls- Thai people are AFRAID of the virus, they see and read about what happens in China, Europe, USA and they don't want people possibly bringing in the virus to come here

I completely agree with that sentiment 

Apart from your first sentence, I intend to agree with you.

Ditto, last year I had been in a shop,pulled the keys out of my pocket

and my driving licence an Makro card must have fallen out too,i did

not know till i got home,so quickly returned to Makro,nobody had handed

in there,next shop,greeted by smiling guard,with cards in his hand

thanked him profusely ,they could have been replaced,but the drivers

licence would have been a headache

regards worgeordie

I guess you had to tip him generously. Hahahahahaha

Without going into too much detail... as it would be dangerous.

The wife went to school with a girl, the girl is today married (second wife) to lets say a influential 'individual' in Thailand, in 2016 this discussion came up over evening-party-dinner, looking at the country at that point, i admittedly just blurted out the question, the response was very telling, and understand this was not out of 'his mouth', but out of his wives mouth.

• Thailand wants wealthy expats/foreigners 
    • If they become expats, they'd prefer periods to be shortened long-term (6 months in a year).
  • Thailand does not want the 'on your bones' expats/foreigners
  • Thailand does not want expats/foreigners voicing opinions or enticing Thai's to think independently, and would prefer the continuation of the current policy (namely because these individuals, and like individuals have obtained immense riches).

Now as much as people think, the local expat (generalising) adds to the economy, or that they themselves feel they bring to Thailand, in 99% of cases their expenditure is insignificant, and if anything Corona has shown their pay-packets are hand to mouth based around tourism.

I resided in the Bahamas, I'd prefer Thailand to take on a similarity style of expats long-term as there, opposed to say Panama... which is where Thailand is currently, that means taking a hit on some selections (i believe), but ultimately the removal of the mass of 'on the bones of their <deleted>' expats longterm, is underway and I won't lie, I agree with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Did it ever occur to you that the English translation for Thai's would appear normal, whereas to us the word Alien or Farang might be offensive, personally I don't think it is meant to be translated in an offensive way, let's face it English to Thais is not something that is taught well at school and if it is, it is usually by some teacher who doesn't know the language well.

My wife's two teenage son's talk to me in English, I encourage it in the house, and some of the words they come up with are so ancient I haven't heard of them since I was a kid, go figure.

As for a particular government minister (A-Nut-in), well yes we can say he is Xenophobic as he has let his tongue slip in public, only later to say it was all a misunderstanding so as not to lose face.

Anutin is a nasty piece of work and needs to be pulled into line. The <deleted> hes said in public and on TV .. he needs a good flogging.

• Like 1

I think there is a big difference in Thai attitudes from Thai's in the cities and tourist area's and Thai's in Isaan.

If you live in a village and have lots of relatives around, it is most accepting.

• Like 1