Pulling mask down to chin can be dangerous: Public Health Ministry

webfact

Pulling mask down to chin can be dangerous: Public Health Ministry

By THE NATION

800_902a6b4ec24142d.jpg?v=1595403369

In a Facebook post on Tuesday (July 21), the Public Health Ministry issued a warning against pulling the face mask down to the chin, even temporarily, as the mask could collect germs from the unprotected neck area and transfer them via the nose and mouth when the mask is pulled back up.

Instead, users should store the mask in a sealable bag when removing it to eat or drink.

The ministry also said people should pay heed to following steps:

1. Always wash hands before putting on a mask;

2. Only hold the mask from its ear loops, and hold both loops when putting on the mask;

3. Make sure the wire frame sits on your nose before putting the loops around your ears;

4. Press down on the wire frame to ensure it fits snugly;

5. Make sure the mask covers both nose and mouth, while the bottom of the ask sits just below the lower lip but above the chin;

6. Do not remove mask when talking to others;

3(1).JPG

7. Change the mask when it gets dirty or moist. It is recommended that people keep a spare of two to three masks a day;

8. Remove the mask by grabbing ear loops and carefully pulling them away from your face;

9. Fabric masks can be reused after washing, but sanitary face masks are not reusable;

10. Used face masks should be put in a plastic bag before being disposed in a covered bin. Hands must be thoroughly washed after disposal.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391753

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-22

• Sad 1

I've been banging on more months about the idiocy of pulling below chin rather than off for whatever reason. The 'germs" (why not say virus?) spread is more like can of spray paint rather than some pin point smart bomb that only goes for nose or eyes.

Not as bad but still plenty stupid is pulling mask below nose.

I'd say in my area the foreigners and Thais are about neck and neck in the appearing to do something but really not.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Ideally the mask should cover the eyes as well as the eyes are also a source of contamination entry, now that would be an interesting shopping experience.

Yes we were told the eyes are a source of infection

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I see the anti maskers also exist on this forum, please leave Asia and go where you

are not so alone.  Thanks in advance, to the Thais and Asians, thanks for wearing your

masks, whether for pollution or for helping against spreading the virus to others.

That is something the dead head anti maskers will never understand. The mask is good

for keeping your germs off other people, and also for keeping your bad breath to 

yourself.

Geezer

Well "Geezer" I'm seeing a lot of "anti-maskers" in Laos and Cambodia and these people are Asian too. In these two countries virtually NO ONE has worn a mask throughout this crisis, because the only time they are needed is to board flights and to enter a very limited handful of businesses. But never at markets or when out on the streets. Not even to enter most shops.

I suggest you go on YouTube to watch some videos made by an Aussie guy called "NowInLao" shot recently. NO ONE wearing masks.

Vietnam must have a lot of "anti-maskers" too, because since May hardly anyone is wearing a mask there either.

Sounds like someone is living in fear.

Edited by drbeach
  • Like 1

The masks are the new amulets. Magic protection from covid, regardless of complete lack of care using them: touching the outsides, re-using, taking away at first chance, etc. As long as the faith is there, eh. Hand washing seems to be a thing of the past already.

At least they serve as a reminder this ain't over yet.