Pattaya: Mayor Sontaya expects tourists to come in droves for long weekend

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"Our guard has not fallen".

The magic words that will 'lure' people by the tens of millions. By the way...did they ever get that marching band idea off the ground?

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, johng said:

Ha Ha .

I think the last long weekend at least half of Bangkok  turned up to drive around Pattaya, Jomtien and Sattahip.

And that is exactly what they do.

They may spend a little time walking around a Shopping Mall to get some Air Con, and then an inexpensive food stop.

I wonder how much money they actually part with on their " Long Week ends "

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thequietman said:

This is an aerial shot of tourists setting off towards Pattaya only today. The mayor is right! Wow.

Massive Traffic Jam.jpg

Nonsense thats the free  all u can eat Chinese  buffet queue, personally  I dont like the taste  of  Chinese

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It can't be, there are no wrecked pick ups and hordes of dead people along the side of the road. 

Thats because they are  all wearing  masks...............but  not seatbelts

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bodga said:

Nonsense thats the free  all u can eat Chinese  buffet queue, personally  I dont like the taste  of  Chinese

Maybe try a Chinese dish called Cream of Someyungboy. It supposed to be OK, but a little salty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep! Go Mayor Go!

First it´s HORDES of Chinese for medical tourism.

Then it´s DROVES of tourists to Pattaya.

It´s only one HUGE problem with this, and that´s the third thing.

As a third there is MASSIVE brain damage in all the people speaking about this.

Edited by Matzzon

19 hours ago, JoePai said:

So it's either get out of Pattaya Friday or stay indoors for the 4 days - hmmm some choice

I'm going in the opposite direction to Bangkok where none of the ten hotels I tried want my money.  Six were closed; four offering deals that were not economic even in London.  Airbnb is my new refuge.

• Like 1

They will come again,  same as the last 4-day extra long weekend on July 4, 2020.   

May be even more crowd in this 4-day weekend again due to the government 40% payment for the hotel.   Most will stay 3D-2N  or 2D-1N,  rather than all 4D.  By Monday afternoon,  some will start going home and the parking spots are easing a bit.  

They prefer Jomtien Beach than Pattaya Bay.   Will be very crowded in Jomtien Beach from end to end. 

BTW,  they have not shown up yet on Friday morning/afternoon,  so the bumper-to-bumper on highway photo on Thursday is not about coming to Pattaya.   All BS for the fools. 

I swam in Jomtien at noon time on Friday ( just 3 hours ) and there was no crowd at all.    

24 minutes ago, sscc said:

BTW,  they have not shown up yet on Friday morning/afternoon,  so the bumper-to-bumper on highway photo on Thursday is not about coming to Pattaya.   All BS for the fools. 

I swam in Jomtien at noon time on Friday ( just 3 hours ) and there was no crowd at all. 

Of course they haven't

it was raining from 11 am to 3 pm

so i can imagine it wasn't the crowd on the beach under the deluge

and it should be the same tomorrow

Edited by kingofthemountain

Well I hope it's a bumper weekend for the vendors andsmall independent businesses because this is the last extended weekend for a while and we can all see how completely devoid of customers the place is since the last holiday. I can't August or September offering much and I do wonder whether this weekend will be as busy, coming as it does at the end of the month before payday. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Well I hope it's a bumper weekend for the vendors andsmall independent businesses because this is the last extended weekend for a while and we can all see how completely devoid of customers the place is since the last holiday. I can't August or September offering much and I do wonder whether this weekend will be as busy, coming as it does at the end of the month before payday. 

The whole town is slowly sinking

unfortunately for all the people working here

i don't see any change coming before at best the end of this year

more than half of the business will be gone 

• Like 2

I have seen numerous versions of these wishful thinking announcements in Phuket, Pattaya and Samui. Many Thai seem to think they can will tourists to return by dusting off their tables and chairs and 'getting ready' for massive influxes that don't exist at this time. It's a sad and desperate time and I agree with other posters that many businesses will not survive if they haven't closed already. However I do believe the pandemic will end within a few years and hopefully a better tourist experience will emerge, but I know hope is not worth much and I doubt it. Even though my sole purpose here in Thailand is to spend my money a lot of Thai's still treat me like a dirty farang so I don't think any lessons will be learned.

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

They are going to show up in Jomtien on Saturday and Sunday.   

No matter the weather,  the Thai will still crowd the beach most of the time in this weekend.  

Certain types of business will have patrons, particularly some diners and take-out food services, lounger rentals,  banana boat out there as well as hotels and house rentals.    But some such as massage are not going to benefit.     

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Of course they haven't

it was raining from 11 am to 3 pm

so i can imagine it wasn't the crowd on the beach under the deluge

and it should be the same tomorrow

11 am, noon  today I was swimming in Jomtien. 

Can tell you are not a beach guy, never mind. 

My note is the crowd show up on Saturday and Sunday, not on Friday.  That is the pattern for the Thai enjoying the 4-day holidays.  Never mind again. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sscc said:

11 am, noon  today I was swimming in Jomtien. 

Can tell you are not a beach guy, never mind. 

My note is the crowd show up on Saturday and Sunday, not on Friday.  That is the pattern for the Thai enjoying the 4-day holidays.  Never mind again. 

No problem

it was probably raining today only in my head

and not in Pattaya, maybe a little bit later than 11 am

but still the beach was deserted all the afternoon because of the rain

i am sure someone else like me living here could confirm this fact

7 hours ago, wasabi said:

I have seen numerous versions of these wishful thinking announcements in Phuket, Pattaya and Samui.

The mayor merely said he expects "many" tourists during this long weekend. That's a perfectly reasonable, justified expectation, and it's relative to the new normal. He's speaking of domestic tourists, too, which TAT: TVF refuse to recognize.

"Droves" is a typical TVF exaggeration for obvious purposes. It worked well as usual. 

Many Thai seem to think they can will tourists to return by dusting off their tables and chairs and 'getting ready' for massive influxes that don't exist at this time.

Condescending straw man argument. None expects any "massive influxes" at this time. If you're open in the hope of drawing a few customers, as you may on some days even in the best of times, then you routinely dust off the tables and chairs.

Even though my sole purpose here in Thailand is to spend my money a lot of Thai's still treat me like a dirty farang so I don't think any lessons will be learned.

What inexcusable ingratitude for Thailand to ignore all this selfless, benevolent, and very substantial contribution to the GDP. But no Thais have ever treated me like a dirty farang, so I don't see the need for any lessons there. Perhaps the lesson is merely that you should find some way to overcome the need to feel you're being victimized. Oh, and perhaps work on your personal hygiene.

Edited by BigStar

15 hours ago, sscc said:

BTW,  they have not shown up yet on Friday morning/afternoon,  so the bumper-to-bumper on highway photo on Thursday is not about coming to Pattaya.   

Did nothing but rain Friday afternoon and it kept me from riding my bike into town.... I have been told by bar owners Friday business usually  picks up  late. I hate it when the Bangkok traffic is in town, due to their aggressive City driving style, they can take the skin off a motorcyclists elbows!

• Thanks 1