Empty Condo

aussiexpat

I have spare keys at reception but am reluctant to ask them to go in and check on it when all my stuff is there (I know I shouldn't be). I can also ask them to clean which is 700 baht but not doing for same reason.

Can also have Elec turned off at meter outside but then fridge would be off with door closed which I understand kills your fridge? Being 60 baht per month for elec is not too bad to leave it running

• Like 2

I leave for 2 weeks minimum sometimes a month.

Always cleanout fridge and unplug, breakers down water turned off.

Don't know where you get 18-24 months but I just had a friend pay

6 months of condo fees. At what point do you just walk away?

My guess is next year there will be a whole new set of rules

for non Asians (no way to visit Thailand without a 14 day quarantine or strict group tour).

Retirement or living in Thailand by marriage might not be possible, covid-19  just the thin edge of the wedge.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

18-24 months based on 8 months already. Australia just released a new budget that included international flights re-opening 1st January next year so hopefully not that long.

When do you walk away? Condo cost 6 million baht so won't be doing that ever lol

I was very surprised to hear Australia will not let people leave, after urging all to return home. Sounds like  ex-Soviet Union not democracy. I have never been anywhere but Cairns but I have friends, active pilots at other airlines who are flying to SYD. Total lockdown in room for duration of layover and guards in hallway. Who is being allowed on this flights between US and SYD?  By the way my fridge never had a problem leaving it unpowered. Just be sure it is completely dry if you want to close the door.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

fridge would be off with door closed which I understand kills your fridge?

How so? What is the effect? Do you just mean from rotten food or a direct effect on the fridge working?

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

My guess is next year there will be a whole new set of rules

for non Asians (no way to visit Thailand without a 14 day quarantine or strict group tour).

Retirement or living in Thailand by marriage might not be possible, covid-19  just the thin edge of the wedge.

Yes I think things are going to be a lot more chaperoned and I think you are right, they may stop processing new retirement conversions if on;y by default in that you will be expected to leave within your tourist visa period.

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If the fridge is left un-powered with the door closed and had any contents you may just find a cure for covid-19 living in there when you get back. Otherwise it will just stink and it will be very difficult to get rid of the pong.

Otherwise all should be well.

Of course nothing left inside fridge. Not a major side by side just one of the medium

SHARP that can be had anywhere for 10-15000 baht. I chose it because it matches my decor

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can't see that, just scaremongering. Covid has highlighted how much they need foreigners

The trend has been to make it easier for ST tourists and harder for LT stayers - every visa I used to stay here for 10+ years between working and retiring has been closed off. Some/someone's mindset has been behind that - the same mindset might use this as an opportunity to further restrict LT stayers without putting off ST stayers. One thing is clear to me, local expats cannot keep any of the tourist places open and by extension, they are not as important to the economy as was thought.

REPEAT: local expats cannot keep any of the tourist places open and by extension, they are not as important to the economy as was thought.

You say scaremongering, I say watching the trend for 25 years. Our saving grace is the reliance on condo rental income by the Thai-Chinese.

Edited by mokwit

53 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

If fridge is turned off with door closed I heard it will have a stale smell and this can never be got rid of?

can confirm - kinda a stale plasticky smell - like the plasticiser has seeped out of the plastic.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can't see that, just scaremongering. Covid has highlighted how much they need foreigners

And perhaps how much some really don't want them! I agree on your other point, I don't expect a major change in extensions and the like, simply an extended restriction period at the borders that will eventually ease.

Other concern is that at some point amnesty will end, and it will be an opportunity for a clean out or financial clean up...meaning make a killing!

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Still possible, but you won't be able to leave unless it's forever.

No trips home, no holidays in neighbouring countries.

But on the plus side, for those of us remaining, the gogo girls are suddenly very eager to please.

There's plenty of them to go round, and none of this, "I only go with younger men" any more.

They've gone home mate !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nice reminder to leave spare keys with friends or the office. I guess you can wait and see if a problem happens or ask a friend to coordinate breaking the lock and turn things off and check every month or so. After 2 years may be full of cockroaches

And if there's even a small water leak or  dripping tap the bill will be suBstantial over a longer period. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Oldie said:

You don't have a person you can trust here? If you have send a key by mail.

Yeah I do and spare key is at reception so can let them know to expect them. I guess I was in denial that I'd be back soon so didn't want to do the obvious ????

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I should have turned off my fridge and hot water I guess.

Why you have hot water on? We always turn off after shower. Same if use aircon , after use i take power switch off. If condo have same kind sht water heat machine in shower wall? Why heat the water if not use, its so fast to work.

Edited by 2 is 1

1 hour ago, KC 71 said:

They've gone home mate !

Off topic,

Yep, the one I met yesterday has returned home to Chiang Mai ..... where I live.

Would have been way more than I was prepared to pay in Pattaya/Bangkok/Phuket.

It's like they've rolled back time to early 2000s, when the ladies were really eager to please.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Why you have hot water on? We always turn off after shower. Same if use aircon , after use i take power switch off. If condo have same kind sht water heat machine in shower wall? Why heat the water if not use, its so fast to work.

My heaters are hard wired in so no turn off switches so too lazy to flip CB I guess. It's only 60 baht a month to run fridge and heaters so never bothered for my 1-2 months away. Just seems pointless now to keep running though.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

condo have same kind sht water heat machine in shower wall? Why heat the water if not use, its so fast to work.

The usual electric showers don't work without a water flow anyhow....not the container type.

They usually have a ELCB test button that can be used as an extra off switch.

We left at the beginning of December for planned three months that is now eight. Fortunately emptied fridge, switched it off and left with the door open. Electric and water turned off and pay monthly PEA standing charge online. The tiny water bill for a couple of days in December I settled with the Juristic Office a couple of months ago. Unfortunately still paying AIS and TMN for cable tv. Main concerns are washing machine on the balcony, cockroaches and my vehicles, the covers of which  will have disintegrated by now. 

• Sad 1

A few mentions of cockroaches. In 10 years of owning my condo I have never seen one. Also wouldn't the condo need to have some food in it for them to be there? No idea but can't imagine they would stay in an empty condo?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

A few mentions of cockroaches. In 10 years of owning my condo I have never seen one. Also wouldn't the condo need to have some food in it for them to be there? No idea but can't imagine they would stay in an empty condo?

I've recently looked at 10+ condos and the rooms have been closed for sometime and the toilets often had loads of cockroaches in them. Usually they come from the drains outside so depends on your condo and height

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

When I bought my condo it hasn't been used for about a year. It was a paradise for roaches, termites and geckoes. 

• Like 1