Do all Non-O ME border bouncers need to switch to yearly extensions?

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't understand why ME marriage guys don't just obtain their 60 day extension and switch to non o marriage and obtain 12 month extension.

Seasoned 400k in a Thai Bank account?

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Seasoned 400k in a Thai Bank account?

i beg to differ about borders not being closed,unless im mistaken 8ft high steel gates block access would say to closed,as in Mae Sott on friday 24th,a visit to imm, to make my Tm30 report,where as an interest i was offered a 1 year extension,i might add i refused being one who would fail the requirements,hope this is helpful,by the by Mae Sott DEAD

unfortunatly we do not all have the funds to have 400k stuck in a bank or the 40k income, Also while the health insurance issue may well be our undoing as most of us on lower income cannot afford the 100k or we do not qualify with most companies because we are too old .

7 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

But obviously you didn't read the context of my post.

I was referring to the IO's response when they new the applicant was trying to abuse the two month option.

I'll try and spell it out for you!!!

Under normal process circumstances the IO's would happily accept dates that varied in different months without a problem... BUT ...if they suspected the applicant was trying to abuse the process by, for example, making one transfer on the last day of one month and doing the next transfer on the first day of the next month, meaning two transfers in two days, that could throw up abuse of the system. An isolated instance might be overlooked but, if a pattern was fairly obvious, Immigration told me they might use a backup of the transfers being erratic and not appearing to be pension transfers. In this instance Immigration would also request proof of where the transfers originated.

The reason was to obtain proof of the source of those funds, which was more important than varying dates of a transfer.

I read and understood the context of your post, unfortunately what happens at Jomtien stays in Jomtien and is not necessarily the same at other Immigration offices, which you fail to appreciate.

I do a number of extensions on behalf of disabled expats and some of their monthly transfers were all over the place, 3 weeks or less between some and over 7 weeks between others. These were regarded as irregular and not monthly transfers and made it difficult for the IO's to locate the transfers amongst all the other entries in a Savings account Passbook.

This caused extra work having to revisit the bank for a clearer statement of overseas transfers.

Not easy when the expat your assisting thinks every day is September 24th.

I managed to regulate their monthly transfer to approximately the same time each month, for which the IO's are grateful and a lot less stress and work for myself.

I use the funds in the bank method, so it doesn't affect me, but it's clearly evident some IO's do not like the monthly income method when having to produce Thai bank statements/passbooks and try to make life difficult.

The other issue I had to overcome was Passbooks with overseas transfers coded as 'SMT' (domestic).

I managed to get a couple to change accounts to Bangkok Bank to get the FTT code, rather than obtain the Credit Advice receipts required when banking with Kasikorn.

20 minutes ago, beavenlen said:

i beg to differ about borders not being closed,unless im mistaken 8ft high steel gates block access would say to closed,as in Mae Sott on friday 24th,a visit to imm, to make my Tm30 report,where as an interest i was offered a 1 year extension,i might add i refused being one who would fail the requirements,hope this is helpful,by the by Mae Sott DEAD

The reference to borders wasn't particular meant to mean local borders.

Other borders are open to foreigners was the point being made.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The announcement certainly does not mean you have to apply for a one year extension of stay. Although that might be the best thing to do if you can qualify for one.

It simply states if you cannot leave and re-enter the country you can apply for a special 30 day extension with a letter from embassy. That is under the assumption that most people will be able to leave the country prior to September 26th. If border crossings are still closed and there still very few flights leaving the country they might extend it again.

If people, and from reading this site there are quite a few, who have already applied for and received for a 60-day extension, then they are not allowed another and the only route for them is a year extension or to get out of the country, isn't it? Both could be quite expensive for the wonderful privilege of visiting their wife.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If people, and from reading this site there are quite a few, who have already applied for and received for a 60-day extension, then they are not allowed another and the only route for them is a year extension or to get out of the country, isn't it?

They do mention a special 30 day extension with a letter from a person's embassy.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Both could be quite expensive for the wonderful privilege of visiting their wife.

No sure that the extension would be that expensive. The one year extension would mean having 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht of income. 

Nobody knows what the situation will be in 2 months as far as leaving the country. There might be some border crossings open with few restriction for re-entry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

One thing I just don't get is why would one prefer a border run every 90 days over yearly extensions. So what am I missing? I am on marriage extensions and I spend maybe a full day a year, possibly two, on visa formalities. Four border runs would represent 4 or 5 times more no? 

Work used to take me out of the country every two to three weeks when on fly-in fly-out contracts. Now semi-retired I'm still (or would without the virus) out of the country five or six times a year to visit projects. Besides that I rather like a change of scene with a week or weekend somewhere outside Thailand. So the multi-entry option worked for me very well. However, given the current situation I've switched to a 1 year extension.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They do mention a special 30 day extension with a letter from a person's embassy.

No sure that the extension would be that expensive. The one year extension would mean having 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht of income. 

Nobody knows what the situation will be in 2 months as far as leaving the country. There might be some border crossings open with few restriction for re-entry.

I would consider having to tie up 400,000 for a couple of months, money I couldn't use other than to please the government, quite expensive. But that's just me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The way I interpreted that notice from immigration is the 30 day special extension if for short term visas only and people will have to show proof in a form of a letter from their embassy explaining such as illness, no flight to their home country. Its very clear that they are telling everyone on long term visas to extend it by September 26. I for one is not taking a chance as I highly dought any land boarders will be open in my case by November.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to have 400k in my bank so I will have to see if my local IO accepts the 40k income option and to start to arrange 40k transfers from abroad to my Thai account as that's the only sign of hope I have.

Edited by time2093
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, time2093 said:

The way I interpreted that notice from immigration is the 30 day special extension if for short term visas only and people will have to show proof in a form of a letter from their embassy explaining such as illness, no flight to their home country. Its very clear that they are telling everyone on long term visas to extend it by September 26. I for one is not taking a chance as I highly dought any land boarders will be open in my case by November.

Most people that are on longstay extensions would of already gotten their extensions.

We were discussing those on 90 day entries from a non-o visa and a 60 day extension that are not considered as long stay. They would qualify for the special 30 day extension with a letter from their embassy.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Most people that are on longstay extensions would of already gotten their extensions.

We were discussing those on 90 day entries from a non-o visa and a 60 day extension that are not considered as long stay. They would qualify for the special 30 day extension with a letter from their embassy.

Thanks for clearing that up. My 90 day permission of stay expired already and I havent yet used my 60 day extension. Once I use my 60 day extension which I will do September 25, I will be good till November 24. As my Non O visa will expire by that time and if the land boarders are not open by then, will I qualify for the special 30 day extension?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, time2093 said:

It's not up to immigration to make these decisions, their 'sign' is BS, they have no say in this matter.

Any extensions of the amnesty (or not) are the domain of the Thai government.

I think they'll extend again, so you should wait until the last minute before jumping.

I've transferred 400k into my bank account.

My Non-O is valid until April 2021.

I'm not buying an extension until the government tells me I have to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beavenlen said:

unfortunatly we do not all have the funds to have 400k stuck in a bank or the 40k income, Also while the health insurance issue may well be our undoing as most of us on lower income cannot afford the 100k or we do not qualify with most companies because we are too old .

People with Non-O do not require health insurance.

This thread is about people with Non-O.

Edited by BritManToo

27 minutes ago, CFCjeff said:

Exactly, i dont want to have 400k tied up in a Thai Bank or transfer money from the UK with exchange rates being so low, admittely the passport gets filled up quickly but i enjoy a little jaunt to Laos every 90 days, however its possible that in this current climate we may have no choice but to get an extension, i hope not.

Nothing to stop you transferring back at the same exchange rate.

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There is a reason now. 

Borders closed and requirements for reentry may be very difficult. 

They may even suspend visa exempt entries. Obtain non o (marriage) 

They have already suspended visa exempt entries. Whether they will re-instate them eventually, remains to be seen. However, I don't see why they wouldn't. Even if future entry requirements hinged upon showing a covid certificate visa exempt entry wouldn't present an obstacle. You would simply show such a certificate to get on a flight.

13 hours ago, sandyf said:

"Assuming land and air crossing remain closed".

People should refrain from posting false statements. The borders are not closed, they are restricted. Just because people find the restrictions difficult it is no excuse for misrepresentation.

Highlights the hypocrisy in this forum, accurate terminology one minute and careless descriptions the next.

Borders by land are closed for foreigners, not just restricted. 

13 hours ago, CFCjeff said:

Why dont offices issue o visa themselves if we have all the neccessary documentation ?

They will issue you a one-year extension of your permission to stay if you meet all the requirements for a one-year multiple entry Non O visa from the Penang consulate, plus some photos. I think what you are asking is why does immigration not provide a one-year extension of stay based on the same very liberal requirements for a Non O at the Savannakhet consulate, There is no good answer to that other than to say those applying in Savannakhet in the past were very lucky.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drbeach said:

They have already suspended visa exempt entries.

There is not such suspension other than for 2 countries they did months ago. Of course you cannot use them to enter the country at this time since the only way do that is on a repatriation flight if you qualify for a certificate of entry.

They did suspend visas on arrival for those from the 21 countries that qualify for them until September 30th.

See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

On 7/25/2020 at 7:22 AM, STD Warehouse said:

@steve187 Im not worried as I can probably scrap together the 400k to do the yearly extension method.

If you have the finances to do that why don't you do it, it would make perfect sense, then you can do your 90 address checks online or at the office without having to border bounce, and for the next 12 months not have to wonder what's going on !

11 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Borders by land are closed for foreigners, not just restricted. 

Wrong, I suppose you think vehicles are changing drivers in no mans land.

Read the ED, foreigners do not come into it, "exempted persons" or "non Thai nationals".

16 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Wrong, I suppose you think vehicles are changing drivers in no mans land.

Read the ED, foreigners do not come into it, "exempted persons" or "non Thai nationals".

I think he meant foreigners that are not Thai or from one of the neighboring countries.

You cannot just walk up to a border and cross it either way now. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CFCjeff said:

Exactly, i dont want to have 400k tied up in a Thai Bank or transfer money from the UK with exchange rates being so low, admittely the passport gets filled up quickly but i enjoy a little jaunt to Laos every 90 days, however its possible that in this current climate we may have no choice but to get an extension, i hope not.

I don't know how long you've been staying here, but not so long ago the exchange rates wasn't that bad. Just look at the rates pre-brexit talks (before 2016), or even before that. Expats who transferred money those days and still keeping them in a Thai bank aren't that disappointed. If Boris Johnson keeps his hard line against the EU, I promise you that the GBP will get even weaker than today. 

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

They will issue you a one-year extension of your permission to stay if you meet all the requirements for a one-year multiple entry Non O visa from the Penang consulate, plus some photos.

Nope. Inaccurate. I've gotten my one-year multiple entry Non O visa from the Penang consulate the last 2 years running. But I'm not entitled to an extension as my Thai child does not live at the same address with me. The same requirements are not always applied to Non-O and extension, as I unfortunately know all too well. 

I can thankfully meet the financial requirements without trouble, and if needs be I'll acquire an Elite visa to stay near my son. But the point I'm making is that there are some edge-cases which fall between the cracks when borders are as near to closed as makes no difference from "restricted".   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1