Thai immigration clarifies situation for tourists and long term visa holders during amnesty period

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

There is no fee to complete the 90 day report.

With some visa yes there is. I was on an ED visa for a while and every 90days you ar required to pay 1,900baht while reporting 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit harsh. If I was married,  100% would have an ME marriage. 

I exit (before covid times) every month and that's often to Saigon where they have Thai consulate that issues ME marriage. Good consulate.

Excellent option. 

Assumptions about the reason is money is far from true. I have 800+ in fixed deposit retirement extension. Money for many people is not the issue. 

I'm not knocking people for doing it, I think it's very sad that any family gets broken up over this for this reason...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They are just misreading the immigration announcement.

No extension is needed unless you will be staying after September 26th.

The cabinet approved another extension of the original ministerial order approved on April 7th. No changes to it in anyway.

My next extension for non imm O based on retirement is due in January 2021 so when do I reaply is it before September 26 or still January 2021

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

This is just wrong information.

Might this be a case of inaccurate reporting by Phuket News? Or, alternatively, accurate reporting of a rogue requirement being planned by the local immigration office?

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My annual extension (retirement) is due early November. 

When am supposed to do it? 

Prior to Sept 26? 

I understand why you asked this... when I first read the OP I misunderstood it to mean everyone needs to go get their extensions. But that is not correct, my permission to stay is still valid and has some months to run. You can of course do yours a month early if you wish, for peace of mind,... but risk being in a very much overrun office. You are not obliged to until just before your Permission to stay expires.

29 minutes ago, padthaininja said:

Do tourists have to do 90 day reporting??

Normally tourists cannot stay in the country for more that 90 days without getting a extension that is equal to doing one.

Under the "automatic extension" it is possible for them to of stayed over 90 days but the ministerial notice states they are not required and it has been extended to September 26th.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, padthaininja said:

Do tourists have to do 90 day reporting??

No.

Tourists can't stay longer then 90 days.

First 60 days on a TV (Tourist Visa) and that can be extended with another 30 days.

(Only in special cases, where another 30 days is required which needs a letter from embassy yes then in principle tourist had to report but then you have a extension based on specific reason, medical or anything, so not tourist anymore)

Now with the amnesty, tourists don't need to register the 90 day reporting.

4 hours ago, marvin1950 said:

I still have not seen an "official announcement" from the Thai Cabinet published in Thai and translated to English published anywhere.

News coming from Immigration is not official.

Immigration just implements and enforces what the Thai Cabinet approves and is signed off by the Prime Minister.

Anyone have or seen such document?

The announcement of the Cabinet decision was published immediately after the meeting - see #5 in the link below.

The information hasn't yet been published in the Royal Gazette, which is what will make it official, but that's essentially a rubber stamp formality - what ends up in the Gazette will be word for word the same as what was in the Cabinet resolution.

https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/33560

i'm all for the little guy, but at this point i don't see what else can be done unless land border opening even border open you will have dfficult time returning, there's nothing much to be confuse about, you only make yourself confused.

there's been talk for people with ED and teacher, i hope they give those people a break.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My annual extension (retirement) is due early November. 

When am supposed to do it? 

Prior to Sept 26? 

No ,do as you Normally do up to 45 days before the extension expires .

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

So the YouTubers and general tourists have until 26th September to leave, seems pretty clear.

No, we are all just getting Ed or volunteer visas.  They are very easy to get now without leaving the country.

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

No ,do as you Normally do up to 45 days before the extension expires .

Yes I realized soon after my post that it was the guys that did not bother doing their extension during amnesty that now need to attend obtain their extension retirement/marriage etc. Almost everyone was saying that you needed to do it as per normal. I think it was BritTim that was swimming against the rip stating that you could attend to your extension later. Seems he was correct.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

as usual , every office will interpret all this their own way, sometimes it seems, simply because they cannot understand it

Looks crystal clear to me... why the sarcasm?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I thought it was supposed to be published in the Royal Gazette in the wake of the Cabinet decision, but I haven't seen any report of that thus far...

Because it hasn't been published yet... that's why.

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

99% don't know the difference between a visa or an extension anyway.

Does it really matter?  When my wife and I go in for an ''extension," the officer at our immigration office always erroneously refers to it as a ''visa," the same as so many others on TV, and it makes no difference.  We get the extension all the same.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phka said:

My next extension for non imm O based on retirement is due in January 2021 so when do I reaply is it before September 26 or still January 2021

You would still do your renewal in January 2021. The only thing you have to do between now and then is your 90 day reporting.

Edited by dsj

A government spokeswoman, Traisuree Taisaranakul, says that the automatic visa extension will now be in force until September 26.  Mandatory 90 day reporting for resident foreigners with ongoing visas will also be suspended until September 26.