Thai immigration clarifies situation for tourists and long term visa holders during amnesty period

On 7/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, jimn said:

I feel sorry a bit for those on single or multi Non O who do a border run to stay long term in Thailand. This option however was always a bit on the edge of breaking the rules.

What rule was it "on the edge" of breaking?  We didn't write these rules, and they could amend them, w/o our input, at any time.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, jimn said:

Forcing them down the extension of stay route is the right way to go. I am pleased this happening.

Why are you pleased?  How does breaking up our families or netting extortion-money for corrupt IOs improve your, or anyone else's, situation? 

The only ones who benefit, are those getting a piece of the 35K Baht or more in agent-money pocketed, when IOs block legit-applications, for the reasons I cited above.

On 7/26/2020 at 5:54 AM, jimn said:

Because its an open internet forum which I contribute too and it is something I have an opinion about. Much like that you have an opinion about my post, thats why. You dont have to like it but thats the way it is.

The question was not if you can state your opinion - rather WHY you have that opinion, which amounts to being "pleased" our lives are being wrecked by corrupt-immigration practices which block legit-extensions, to spite our qualifying for Visas through the honest MFA application-process (including showing financials at Penang).  This question remains unanswered. 

If you think about it, you could understand why we find your being "pleased" an odd reaction - given it harms us, and doesn't affect you.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cheddarburger said:

Can I go to any office in Thailand?  I thought have to go to office near where I live.  What are best offices?

"Where you live," is the key - as in, you might need to move to a less-corrupt immigration-office area - depending on your circumstances and what you are willing to do / pay, for an extension.  Whether you stay there post-extension is up to you.

In many cases, CW Bangkok is the most straightforward (no landlord-docs runarounds), though if using income, you could still be blocked by "source of" issues.  In that case, one of the "more corrupt" offices like Jomtien, may have more affordable agent-service.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:09 PM, clorox said:

there's been talk for people with ED and teacher, i hope they give those people a break.

And those with Thai family Non-Os, or on Non-B multis, or those on TR entries with new employment or wishing to enroll in a school - ALL blocked by immigration-corruption - "pay us off through an agent or no go," because we cannot cross a border and deal with the honest MFA for a visa. 

There is no legal reason immigration cannot change extension-reasons for those with Non-Imm entries, or issue "change of visa" 90-day visas for those on TR entries, to support ED and B cases.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:56 PM, Phillip9 said:

No, we are all just getting Ed or volunteer visas.  They are very easy to get now without leaving the country.

I have seen no announcement that immigration will process "agent-bribe-free" 90-day "change of visa type" applications for Non-B, Non-ED, or Non-O-volunteer - but would be good news if true. 

Same goes for those already on Non-Immigrant type entries - cannot get new "extensions of stay" for a different type than what was used to enter the country (switch between Non-O, Non-B, or Non-ED).

Please link to any new info on this (sorry if I missed the thread).

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

What rule was it "on the edge" of breaking?  We didn't write these rules, and they could amend them, w/o our input, at any time.

Why are you pleased?  How does breaking up our families or netting extortion-money for corrupt IOs improve your, or anyone else's, situation? 

The only ones who benefit, are those getting a piece of the 35K Baht or more in agent-money pocketed, when IOs block legit-applications, for the reasons I cited above.

The question was not if you can state your opinion - rather WHY you have that opinion, which amounts to being "pleased" our lives are being wrecked by corrupt-immigration practices which block legit-extensions, to spite our qualifying for Visas through the honest MFA application-process (including showing financials at Penang).  This question remains unanswered. 

If you think about it, you could understand why we find your being "pleased" an odd reaction - given it harms us, and doesn't affect you.

If you put as much effort into obtaining an extension of stay (retirement or marriage) that you put into constructing your reply to me then you would be fine. Getting a single or multi Non O and then extending or leaving the country to get another 90 days, is in my opinion playing the system. An extension of stay or a Non OA visa is the correct visa for a long stay in Thailand along with the OX and the Elite  anything else is a work around that I wouldnt be suprised gets closed in the future.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JackThompson said:

How does breaking up our families or netting extortion-money for corrupt IOs improve your, or anyone else's, situation? 

If they decide to split from  their families when a long term extension is available to them I do not see why it is anybody else's fault. Not being a pedant, simply wondering why obtaining a 12 month extension to keep the family together has to involve agents, bribes and extortion?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jimn said:

If you put as much effort into obtaining an extension of stay (retirement or marriage) that you put into constructing your reply to me then you would be fine. Getting a single or multi Non O and then extending or leaving the country to get another 90 days, is in my opinion playing the system. An extension of stay or a Non OA visa is the correct visa for a long stay in Thailand along with the OX and the Elite  anything else is a work around that I wouldnt be suprised gets closed in the future.

Some people cant afford to show the funds, either 400k or 40k, some people leave thailand quite often and go for breaks in neighbouring countries with their wives, some people work offshore and require this visa, There is nothing wrong with having a multiple entry.

Alot of people just dont want a year extension of stay. I dont see why its playing the system. It isnt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmjam said:

Some people cant afford to show the funds, either 400k or 40k, some people leave thailand quite often and go for breaks in neighbouring countries with their wives, some people work offshore and require this visa, There is nothing wrong with having a multiple entry.

Alot of people just dont want a year extension of stay. I dont see why its playing the system. It isnt.

unfortunately immigration doesn't agree with us. they are saying that in order to stay long term in thailand we need to extend. maybe this is because they do not have the power to issue new visas or its because they only value extensions as a legitimate (in their eyes) way of staying long term in Thailand.

either way, short of a major campaign by the likes of someone like Richard Barrow, i don't think they are going to change their tune. maybe things might change as we get nearer to the deadline and they realise very few were willing or able to comply and haven't got air tickets, maybe not.

hopefully the borders are open by then

7 hours ago, jimmjam said:

I get an extension of stay with a

re entry permit even though I only stsy in Thailand 7 months a year. No excuse, sorry. Even an agent in Pattaya only charges 13k. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1