Thai immigration clarifies situation for tourists and long term visa holders during amnesty period

1 hour ago, jacob29 said:

What plausible reason would you have to care about whether people on tourist visa's stay or go? How does it affect you?

Most tourists don't need a visa. That is only imposed on, how to put this politely, people from countries whose citizens might prefer to live in Thailand for longer than the rules allow.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My annual extension (retirement) is due early November. 

When am supposed to do it? 

Prior to Sept 26? 

No. I do not think so. It appears to be a mistake. One of thousands. You have a valid visa. As do I and many others. Period. End of story. I do not want to deal with this fools any earlier than I need to. 

44 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As for the tourists who have been spending their enforced time in the country by putting money into the economy every day, they have been given a pretty stark warning that they are no longer wanted in the country. Okay, many might have been able to leave before, but still. I wonder how many countries like to discourage tourists. They like the country, believe all the faff from TAT, come and spend and then are told that, actually, you've spent enough time and have to get out. We don't want you here anymore.

I honestly don't think that there is any official policy to discourage foreigners from visiting, or living here. There is some occasional "loose mouthed xenophobic talk" but it does not represent any sort of policy. In fact I don't think there is a policy on the matter really.

Rather, it is the familiar problem ( with Thai governance) of the left hand not knowing (or bothering) what the right hand is doing. The problem is compounded because like the Hindu Goddess ( Kali is it?) there are half a dozen or more arms waving around!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Prior to Sept 26? 

So you have a valid visa until early November.

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

all makes perfect sense to me

if ur on an extension do everything as you have always done before, (yearly extension, 90 day)  

If you haven't done a 90 day since march 26th you have between August 1-31st to do so.

If ur on a VISA  get everything in line by sept 26th or be prepared to leave asap

If you need change to a Non B or...get ur paper work in order before Sept 26th

If you are on a Non-B and immigration doesn't extend it (what happened to me), change to a Non-O.

9 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

wow. it's looking like the party is over for those on multiple entry visas.

extend or leave, under the current circumstances, is harsh

i hope borders reopen soon i don't want to see families broken up

wow. it's looking like the party is over for those on multiple entry visas.
Because of what ?

9 hours ago, Wendynacchan said:

What abt those with long term visa that expired (non b, extension stay) and will like to apply for another new long term visa, such as Ed visa or thailand elite?  

If you are older than 50 you can apply for a Non-O Retirement.
My Non-B expired mid of April and I got the amnesty bcoz they didn't extend my visa. Now I changed to Non-O.

Whatever they say will change tomorrow. They have yet to come up with consistent policies pre-pandemic so the CCP Wuhan Virus will not change that. I have used the same visa service for several years and have NEVER had a problem. The price is reasonable and everything is handled professionally. I they do all 90 day reporting, extensions, etc. 

I would suggest that if you can't afford a good visa service perhaps you need to look for a less confusing country to live in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, innosiem said:

what party ?
i am on ME 
get a 60 day til end November and a 1 year if i must, it is no biggie

many on ME just have not had the need to get a 1 year extension until now
as many like myself simply do not usually stay here 90 days at a time 
(yes i can meet all requirements)

what is it on TVF with the descending attitude towards those on ME visas ?

Yep. My situation is similar to yours. Will do the 60 day in September, taking me to late November. If borders still aren't open by then, I get a 1-year extension.

I agree that no one is breaking up families - just need to meet the financial requirements and all is good.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

Whatever they say will change tomorrow. They have yet to come up with consistent policies pre-pandemic so the CCP Wuhan Virus will not change that. I have used the same visa service for several years and have NEVER had a problem. The price is reasonable and everything is handled professionally. I they do all 90 day reporting, extensions, etc. 

I would suggest that if you can't afford a good visa service perhaps you need to look for a less confusing country to live in.

Visa services can really be a godsend especially during these uncertain times.

But I don't expect anything about this amnesty to change. It's very clear to me, and has been since the first announcement was made in the media about 10 days ago.

2 hours ago, marvin1950 said:

Ok Khunjeff

What does #5 say?

Apparently you read some Thai.

It says exactly what has been reported in the press. Inside a series of long lists of applicable laws, it says that people who were previously extended to July 31 are now extended to September 26, and that the 90 day reporting hiatus is similarly extended from July 31 to September 26 (which makes me wonder why the Immigration graphic says reporting should be done by the end of August). As usual, it's short on practical details and long on legalistic mumbo-jumbo. 

Unlike the previous announcement, this one doesn't address nationals of neighboring countries on border passes, presumably because they were allowed to stay until one week after borders reopen, rather than until a specific calendar date.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oobar said:

Does it really matter?  When my wife and I go in for an ''extension," the officer at our immigration office always erroneously refers to it as a ''visa," the same as so many others on TV, and it makes no difference.  We get the extension all the same.

Yep.

You can call a goose a big chicken but it's not.

The point at the moment is the difference in how you have to proceed under the amnesty.

When someone posts  My visa expires in one month what should I do. The answer comes back you need to tell us what kind of visa.

Then the next post from them is   do I need to do 90 day reports?

The answer then is   you dont do 90 day reports if you have a visa 

Eventually it gets to I have extended my visa every year for 5 years.

Ah you are on an extension not a visa.

No my visa from 5 years ago is still valid.

That's the point where I give up.

????????????????

Edited by overherebc

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Prior to Sept 26? 

Surely it would be "as per usual" if  you have a valid extension?! The only exemption  you would have is the  90 day report which  would also resume  as a requirement as of same date of  renewal of  extension in November given that would be less  than 90 days from the expiration of the "amnesty". ?

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Prior to Sept 26? 

For those all stay same way as usual , as the reading is a bit confused as they target hose who would like to change from "non o " ( those whiteout having the  1 year ext.) to become the 1 year Ret. extension in that line  

For you a confusion in reading , for me not as I have anyway my normal renew date between last week August and before third week September .

For us business as usual

what party ?
i am on ME 
get a 60 day til end November and a 1 year if i must, it is no biggie

many on ME just have not had the need to get a 1 year extension until now
as many like myself simply do not usually stay here 90 days at a time 
(yes i can meet all requirements)

what is it on TVF with the descending attitude towards those on ME visas ?

Many on ME don't meet the requirements for 1 year extensions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

just did my 90 day as normal , next january do my marriage visa ,easiest ,then there are no comebacks ,you know how it is ,every office different rules.

"every office different rules"

Not true, some offices have different rules, and those are mentioned quite often here. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Immigration: have to prepare for departing the Kingdom within September 26, 2020.

Me: I prepare myself for another amnesty. 

That would be foolish reply 

Obtain extension or go home.

we all know what the requirements are and the few that used up their 60 day extensions, obviously need to apply for 1 year extension
really not that difficult to work out

for those who cannot meet the requirements.............????‍♂️
nothing i can say to them, they should have known this day may come even without C19
for myself it is not a concern
and what offices will and will not do is office by office
again anyone that cannot meet requirements should have been prepared
those who can meet requirements and have used 60 day already
just need to pay an agent as they must use a corrupt IO
there is no surprise here, and i will doubt you will hear many complaints from those in this situation

it seems people on retirement visa's complain more about these situations
than the few people that are in actually on ME marriage visa's and in the said situations ????

"and the few that used up their 60 days extensions, obviously need to apply for 1 year extension
really not that difficult to work out"

It seems like you think everyone with a ME meet the requirements for 1 year extensions. They don't. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

Most of the ones who get all mouthy about it in my experience are those on retirement extensions, bought through agents because they don't have the income or lump sum in the bank. 99% don't know the difference between a visa or an extension anyway. Some just get P'd off because they are stuck where they are and can't afford to do any travelling and enjoy a decent retirement.

They have to take it out on someone.

Imo, there are more expats on retirement extensions having money than people on ME's. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, marvin1950 said:

If  you now have to do a 90 report by August 31, can you do it online?

That depends on the due date. You can do it online from the due date and 15 days earlier. That's the only window.