Thai immigration clarifies situation for tourists and long term visa holders during amnesty period

So TPN Just posted an article about an hour ago that makes it sound like tourists who are still here under the "automatic amnesty" will have to go to immi and get an "extension" with embassy letters in order to stay under the "amnesty"....assume that is a mistake on TPN's part. It seems they omitted in their article the very important phrase "prepare for departing by 26 Sept except in case of...." as  the current "updated" immi graphic shows on the official website https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?avada_portfolio=ครม-เห็นชอบร่างประกาศ-มท&portfolioCats=45

Here's the article, which is all over the place....

https://www.thephuketnews.com/confirmed-embassy-letters-needed-for-immigration-visa-extension-76790.php

Confirmed: Embassy letters needed for Immigration ’visa extension’

PHUKET: The Immigration Bureau has confirmed that letters from embassies are needed for short-term visa holders to be granted a 30-day extension to stay under the ‘visa amnesty’ granted by Cabinet on Tuesday.

The Cabinet approved the automatic visa extension for all visa types, previously set to expire on July 31, to be extended until Sept 26. 

<removed excess text>

Edited by ubonjoe
Reduced the entire text of the article under fair use terms.
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, toxictotoro said:

So TPN Just posted an article about an hour ago that makes it sound like tourists who are still here under the "automatic amnesty" will have to go to immi and get an "extension" with embassy letters in order to stay under the "amnesty"....assume that is a mistake on TPN's part. It seems they omitted in their article the very important phrase "prepare for departing by 26 Sept except in case of...." as  the current "updated" immi graphic shows on the official website

They are just misreading the immigration announcement.

No extension is needed unless you will be staying after September 26th.

The cabinet approved another extension of the original ministerial order approved on April 7th. No changes to it in anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Confirmed: Embassy letters needed for Immigration ’visa extension’

By The Phuket News

1595648681_1-org.jpg

The announcement was posted late yesterday (July 24). Image: Immigration Bureau

PHUKET: The Immigration Bureau has confirmed that letters from embassies are needed for short-term visa holders to be granted a 30-day extension to stay under the ‘visa amnesty’ granted by Cabinet on Tuesday.

The Cabinet approved the automatic visa extension for all visa types, previously set to expire on July 31, to be extended until Sept 26. 

A draft copy of the proposal for the visa extension request, which was reported as approved in full, was posted on the main Immigration Bureau website on Wednesday.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/confirmed-embassy-letters-needed-for-immigration-visa-extension-76790.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-07-25

16 hours ago, marvin1950 said:

I still have not seen an "official announcement" from the Thai Cabinet published in Thai and translated to English published anywhere.

News coming from Immigration is not official.

Immigration just implements and enforces what the Thai Cabinet approves and is signed off by the Prime Minister.

Anyone have or seen such document?

I thought it was supposed to be published in the Royal Gazette in the wake of the Cabinet decision, but I haven't seen any report of that thus far...

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They are just misreading the immigration announcement.

Thank you. Yea, that's what I figured, but still had me doing a dog "head tilt" for a sec though????.  That's a pretty big misreading and will likely confuse the hell out of a lot of their readers. Not everyone is lucky enough to know about TVF and able to get factually solid, speedy info from people like you. 

Edited by toxictotoro
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The cabinet approved another extension of the original ministerial order approved on April 7th. No changes to it in anyway.

What baffles me is that there are no changes to it in any way, but immigration now wants extensions to be obtained.

9 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

This is just wrong information.

• Like 1

I entered on a 1 year ME non-B visa (for conducting business), permission to stay expired in June, visa is valid until October. No work permit applied for yet. 
Do you think as per the new announcement, I will be able to get a new (extended) permission to stay based on the fact that I would like to apply for a work permit (and the employment office doesn't accept it if the permission to stay is expired, even if on amnesty)? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, innosiem said:

we all know what the requirements are and the few that used up their 60 day extensions, obviously need to apply for 1 year extension
really not that difficult to work out

I wouldn't say it's obvious. 

Thai immigration is not oblivious to Multiple entry. It was not as if this was a secret loophole nobody knew about. The Thai government let it happen and I believe will give extensions based on marriage even though you already had one. 

But let's wait and see when explanations are given. People on here jump to conclusions to quick, you can see that with people already using their 60 day extension even though another amnesty was given. 

Wait and see. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

For long term expats and those wishing to apply for an extension of stay, such as it being based on retirement, marriage or being a parent to a Thai child, you should apply for the extension at your local immigration office between now and 26 September

This has me perplexed and confused.  My O-A Visa permitted to stay date is November 20, 2020.  Prior to Covid the plan was to leave at the beginning of November and return before the 20th, and then extend it for another year.  However, now with it not looking like there will be a possibility to leave and return my plan is to turn the O-A Visa into an extension of Stay, but the plan was to start this extension 45 days prior to the expiration of the Visa at CW, which would be the beginning of the 2nd week of October.  My confusion is in regards to the verbiage used and it saying that you should apply for the extension at your local immigration office between now and 26 September.  

Prior to the O-A visa's I have used for the past 3 years, I was on an O Visa based upon marriage, but now divorced, well 3 years ago, that extension was done away with when I did not get a re-entry stamp and flew back to the US at which time I did the O-A retirement Visa as I would fly back and forth to the US at least twice a year and would use the ME portion to extend the Visa.

What is the correct way of obtaining the extension, do as my plan is, or do what the announcement says.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Only in case that your permission of stay expired (or expires) before 26th September.

If your permission of stay expires after this (as in your case), then everything as usual.

That is what I was thinking, but the wording perplexed me a little.

A post done in capital letters has been removed.

Forum rule. 

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes, colors or use unusually large emoticons. It can be difficult to read.

2 hours ago, petedk said:

I don't think so.

I have been keeping my 90 days reports "up to date" and recently renewed online. I tried 2 days earlier than required ( 12 days before, instead of 10 days) and it wasn't accepted.

So I can imagine anyone whose 90 day report is overdue will not be able to do it online.

It is possible the immigration bureau has removed this restriction, but somehow I don't think they are so technically minded.

I did mine 14 days prior to the required date and it was accepted and then approved the following day.

56 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

This has me perplexed and confused.  My O-A Visa permitted to stay date is November 20, 2020.  Prior to Covid the plan was to leave at the beginning of November and return before the 20th, and then extend it for another year.  However, now with it not looking like there will be a possibility to leave and return my plan is to turn the O-A Visa into an extension of Stay, but the plan was to start this extension 45 days prior to the expiration of the Visa at CW, which would be the beginning of the 2nd week of October.  My confusion is in regards to the verbiage used and it saying that you should apply for the extension at your local immigration office between now and 26 September.  

Prior to the O-A visa's I have used for the past 3 years, I was on an O Visa based upon marriage, but now divorced, well 3 years ago, that extension was done away with when I did not get a re-entry stamp and flew back to the US at which time I did the O-A retirement Visa as I would fly back and forth to the US at least twice a year and would use the ME portion to extend the Visa.

What is the correct way of obtaining the extension, do as my plan is, or do what the announcement says.

None of these announcements really applies to you as you have a valid visa until November. You need to do 90-day reports and extensions as normal. There are no real obstacles to this with any lower capacity at offices generally being offset by fewer applications. Focus on that. The rest of your situation is irrelevant, although as an "always have a Plan B" person I think your plan to start your process early is wise this year. 

Relax and put your feet up for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My approach on a retirement visa is; renew it prior to its annual expiry date, do my 90 day reports online as required..... business as normal! 

Because as sure as the sun will rise in the east tomorrow; with IM everything changes but nothing changes..........

For those outside of annual visa types and associated 90 days reporting I feel for you because it like Russian roulette with IM. 

You just never know what the hell will happen until you're actually at the coalface dealing with each individual IO no matter what IM policies are gazetted. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So this effectively means that those on expired extensions and visas can stay until September 26th.

Then needing to go abroad to get a new visa. Then we only can hope Penang or KL will be open for us without quarantine and coming back vice versa.

I'm on non-o (vol) visa, last extension which was not made and if so would be due to the 17th of august on which then the 'one-year-visa-limit' has reached.

('One Year Limit' ; non-o volunteer visa gets a stay of 3 months mostly which can be extended three times up to 360 days since arrival in Thailand).

• Like 2