Thai immigration clarifies situation for tourists and long term visa holders during amnesty period

On 7/25/2020 at 5:22 AM, zzzzz said:

all makes perfect sense to me

if ur on an extension do everything as you have always done before, (yearly extension, 90 day)  

If you haven't done a 90 day since march 26th you have between August 1-31st to do so.

If ur on a VISA  get everything in line by sept 26th or be prepared to leave asap

If you need change to a Non B or...get ur paper work in order before Sept 26th

I left Thailand on Dec 2019.

My Non Imm. O visa expired last week. Jul 17, 2020

Of course I could not extend it because I was unable to enter the Kingdom.

No one in Immigration or Thai consulate in my country can give me an answer, what to do.

Any one has an idea?

Thanks,

Fakser

21 minutes ago, fakser said:

No one in Immigration or Thai consulate in my country can give me an answer, what to do.

Any one has an idea?

What was your non-o visa (or extension of stay) based upon (marriage or retirement).

Your visa or extension is invalid now. You can only apply for new one.

If married to a Thai you could apply for a certificate of entry at the embassy where your are located if you want to return to Thailand.

24 minutes ago, fakser said:

I left Thailand on Dec 2019.

My Non Imm. O visa expired last week. Jul 17, 2020

Of course I could not extend it because I was unable to enter the Kingdom.

Any one has an idea?

Thanks,

Fakser

I assume you were on an extension of stay, but it is unclear from your post whether this was due to retirement, Thai spouse or some other reason. If you have a Thai spouse and/or child, contact the embassy in your home country. It may be possible to arrange your return, though the process is involved and involves expense. If you are a retiree with no Thai family, there is currently no mechanism by which you can return. You will need to wait things out for a few months at least.

26 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

What an insane policy!  Kicking out tourists when they aren't being replaced.  Just issue 30 day extensions at 1900 baht a pop.  govt gets some income, local tourist business get some income & tourists avoid stress of flying back to countries with high infection rates.  Everyone's a winner, apart from the whining long term retirees who've jumped thru all the hoops to extend their stay ????

great idea, i'd be happy to go back to monthly renewals, parents too, thats 2M baht we could withdraw from Thailand straight away!! result!

2 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

great idea, i'd be happy to go back to monthly renewals, parents too, thats 2M baht we could withdraw from Thailand straight away!! result!

Not sure what visa you're on, but probably wouldn't work long term, I guess.  I just don't understand why they want short term visa holders out.  As long as they have money to be a long term tourist, why should anyone care?  Doesn't affect me.  I'm on non-O ME & will have to do 1 year extension.  

• Like 2

The Nation newspaper is not an offical source of the Thai Cabinet minutes of proposed changes

I was told the official notification is published in the Royal Gazette.

for expats living in Thailand 90 day reporting is deferred until September 26

Screenshot_20200726-180258.png

Edited by marvin1950
additional
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

My comment was directed at the TV members that constantly post complaints about short term visitors "freeloading' on the visa amnesty, & hoping for them to be forced out.  Doesn't sound like you're one of them. 

Yeah, I with you on that. Personally can't understand it. I so enjoy when I go Saigon (monthly) and talk to the backpackers. So many nice stories. 

Same my town Bangkok. Chat with tourists so much more positive than the old complaining folk. BTW I'm on extensions RE.

Might be wrong...did I read above your on ME marriage. What's your plan pre end of amnesty. Obtain extension then obtain non o marriage and annual extension?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont mean to hijack the thread but im here on tourist 60 day visa and had my extension already.... would seeking out an agent help in extending my stay. Is there a way to get some sort of visa without having to leave come September 26th?  

Just curious what my options might be 

Edited by samisaurus
Addition
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 6:43 AM, 0815 said:

That's why people should act early as possible now.
Find an immigration office that can help or an agent who can do it.

Can I go to any office in Thailand?  I thought have to go to office near where I live.  What are best offices?

7 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

I dont mean to hijack the thread but im here on tourist 60 day visa and had my extension already.... would seeking out an agent help in extending my stay. Is there a way to get some sort of visa without having to leave come September 26th?  

Just curious what my options might be 

I am on similar situation but I did not use normal 30 day extension, but I think maybe it does not matter.

Thai government has been very understanding to now.  I wish they continue.  Happy to pay 1900 baht fee to stay every month and spend my money here!  Best is pay for many months stay in one visit.  12000 baht for 6 month stay okay for me if it is offered.

• Like 1

Just now, cheddarburger said:

I am on similar situation but I did not use normal 30 day extension, but I think maybe it does not matter.

Thai government has been very understanding to now.  I wish they continue.  Happy to pay 1900 baht fee to stay every month and spend my money here!  Best is pay for many months stay in one visit.  12000 baht for 6 month stay okay for me if it is offered.

100% Agree 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

am on similar situation but I did not use normal 30 day extension, but I think maybe it does not matter.

You can obtain a 30 day extension that will be dated Sept 26 onward if you have not obtained 30 day extension previously.

If your under 50 or not married to Thai then that's your last option.

Apart from that you could look for creative agent and perhaps obtain Ed visa etc. That may run into big bucks. Or you can go back to own country.

Up to You.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, samisaurus said:

I think you have options, provided you haven't had the '7 days to leave' stamp already (e.g. extension denied). At Jomtien immigration, agents near the queue were openly offering 1-3 month extensions to people waiting - quite pushy about it in fact. Prices started at 15-20k+ from memory. I don't know what kind of visa they use, but I feel it can't be so under the table to openly offer it like this to all and sundry. I read it maybe leverages a medical visa, technically legal but 'off label' so to speak - but really I'm not sure.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

I think you have options, provided you haven't had the '7 days to leave' stamp already (e.g. extension denied). At Jomtien immigration, agents near the queue were openly offering 1-3 month extensions to people waiting - quite pushy about it in fact. Prices started at 15-20k+ from memory. I don't know what kind of visa they use, but I feel it can't be so under the table to openly offer it like this to all and sundry. I read it maybe leverages a medical visa, technically legal but 'off label' so to speak - but really I'm not sure.

Thanks Jacob, much appreciated 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:30 PM, Max69xl said:

Many on ME don't meet the requirements for 1 year extensions. 

you may assume this
from what i see here and from those i speak with who are on ME, most stuck here can meet the requirements 
and i say "stuck" as those on ME visa's usually travel like myself
and do not really want to be here full time 365 days a year and never going anywhere else

TVF members on 1 year extensions (usually those on retirement extensions not even marriage)
just assume, EVERYONE that is not on a 1 year extension just like they are putting money in the bank like they did
must not be able to meet the financial requirements like them, which is completely false
yes there may be a few that cannot meet the requirements, they are the few
and they will need to do whatever they must do,
we are not really here to discuss how the few can dodge the legal requirements
but the steps people must take to remain here LEGALLY
so the exceptions are of no concern and not worth discussing.
and certainly not worthy of being brought into discussions by those who are not even on ME marriage visa's

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain a 30 day extension that will be dated Sept 26 onward if you have not obtained 30 day extension previously.

Has anyone actually reported getting this final extension yet?  I am in the same situation.  I arrived visa exempt and haven’t used my extension.  I am curious if there has been confirmation that I can extend once until October 26.

21 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Has anyone actually reported getting this final extension yet?  I am in the same situation.  I arrived visa exempt and haven’t used my extension.  I am curious if there has been confirmation that I can extend once until October 26.

You can obtain extension to your visa exempt entry. 1900baht 30 day.

7 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

Let's do nothing until September 25th and see if they jail + deport 300000 people ?

if foreigners had balls, we would be treated as we deserve !

#farangLifeMatters

We have been treated very well so far , (bar having to get Embassy letters for extensions )

If you want to go on overstay , you will get a 500 Baht a day fine and a possible blacklisting from Thailand , it will probably happen at an airport when you leave , so, there wont be 300 000 of you all together at once

On 7/25/2020 at 12:45 PM, triplez said:

I entered on a 1 year ME non-B visa (for conducting business), permission to stay expired in June, visa is valid until October. No work permit applied for yet. 
Do you think as per the new announcement, I will be able to get a new (extended) permission to stay based on the fact that I would like to apply for a work permit (and the employment office doesn't accept it if the permission to stay is expired, even if on amnesty)? 

The visa's expiration date means nothing unless you could use it (reasonably) to leave/return to Thailand. 

You would not be able to get a non-b extension only if:

1) Your are a teacher (new policy announced for them, per Richard Barrow)

2a) Your labor-office will issue a work-permit-approval letter, which could be used at immigration to get the extension.

2b) Immigration will issue an extension-of-stay from your Non-B visa-entry and work-permit-approval letter.

Lawyers advertise being able to do 2a and 2b without leaving Thailand - including a 90-day non-b "change of visa type," if one entered with a TR entry.