Thai immigration clarifies situation for tourists and long term visa holders during amnesty period

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That would be foolish reply 

Obtain extension or go home.

I heard the same advices just a week ago. I am not going anywhere. The amnesty will be extended again since the overall situation with Covid is not going to change any time soon.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

I heard the same advices just a week ago. I am not going anywhere. The amnesty will be extended again since the overall situation with Covid is not going to change any time soon.

Foolish approach.

Just to amuse posters. What's your plan.

Obtain extension or just stamp your feet that your not leaving. Yes amnesty could be extended again. Doubt it. What's plan B.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

It's a descending attitude toward all other farangs who aren't them. The Covid and amnesty situation, and their "get out!" response, have been quite telling.

I've heard it said more than a few times during my time in Thailand, be wary of the other farangs, for they may have had a good reason for leaving their home countries.

The only difference between a standard visa and one that says MULTIPLE on it, is that those of us with a ME permit included on our visa have paid up front for being allowed to re-enter the country as many times as we like in a year without having to buy a new re-entry permit each time. That is all.
I have been living here for quite some time, and each time I get an extension of my retirement visa, I pay the extra for the ME permit, as it is much more convenient than doing it every time I have to travel out of the country.

I am an engineering consultant, and as such, projects take me out of the country quite regularly, and it is MUCH cheaper to pay the fee for ME permit than to get single entry ones all the time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No, why would you do that. You are already using a valid extension and not the amnesty. You will renew you yearly extension as normal. The only thing you have to care about is the difference about the 90 day reports.

About those who left Thailand when the crisis began and who will not have the possibility to re-enter (border closed for them) before their current extension expires ?

couldn't understand why those on multiple entry visa from consulate can't be honored as this visa are legal right ? just find it weird that they approve the visa but now the border are close all this visa are rendered useless

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, aixois said:

About those who left Thailand when the crisis began and who will not have the possibility to re-enter (border closed for them) before their current extension expires ?

The "automatic extension" and this topic are not about them, only about foreigners who are currently in Thailand.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My annual extension (retirement) is due early November. 

When am supposed to do it? 

Prior to Sept 26? 

No. Read what has been written.  You need to apply for it before 'early November'.  You are not one of those included in this.

17 hours ago, zyphodb said:

What these comments are about is that there are many who are on multi entry marriage because, for numerous reasons they can't meet the financial requirements for a years in country non O marriage visa, so are they now going to be forced to abandon their Thai wives and children who they've been supporting for often many years and are quite capable of continuing to support were it not for the visa rules?

"what is it on TVF with the descending attitude towards those on ME visas ?"

I think you are referring to the members of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade, that's the ones who put the 400.000 or 800.000 baht in a Thai bank and have to go through all the hassle with their bank and IO office, they wrongfully think they will be doing things illegally with going through an agent,  and are scared of "breaking the law".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Weird stamp on my latest 90 day receipt - "VISA & 90 DAYS", no wonder people are confused. It does include the usual "this is not an extension of stay" stamp though. I'm just using common sense, I renew my retirement extension when it's due, as normal, and do 90 days as per the date given. What this "VISA" thing is about I've no idea, presumably something to do with the amnesty.

Thai Immigration did not clarify situations for tourists and long term visa holders during the amnesty period.

My friend translated from Thai to English the Cabinet meeting minutes from July 21.

In short it says:

Tourists have till September 26 to leave Thailand or get an extension of stay, but have to do a 90 report by August 31 if they have an existing extension of stay with a due date from March 26 to July 31.

Mandatory 90 day reporting for resident foreigners with valid ongoing visas will be suspended until September 26.

If you don't believe me read the Cabinet minutes yourself.

14 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Thai Immigration did not clarify situations for tourists and long term visa holders during the amnesty period.

My friend translated from Thai to English the Cabinet meeting minutes from July 21.

In short it says:

Tourists have till September 26 to leave Thailand or get an extension of stay, but have to do a 90 report by August 31 if they have an existing extension of stay with a due date from March 26 to July 31.

Mandatory 90 day reporting for resident foreigners with valid ongoing visas will be suspended until September 26.

If you don't believe me read the Cabinet minutes yourself.

I see nothing in it that even close to what you wrote in it.  That seems to be a interpretation of the immigration announcement in Thai.

Number 5 in the under the "Law" (กฎหมายsection here. https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/33560

Just seeking clarification here about the wording used in the latest announcement.

If you're a tourist in Thailand with an expired visa and you must "leave Thailand or get an extension of stay by Sep 26" - can this 'extension of stay' be received through a non-Imm visa? I.E., is converting an expired tourist visa to a non-Imm B/work permit/volunteer visa still permitted?

The infographic posted by immigration suggests that further 'extensions' only be requested by tourists due to medical or pandemic-related reasons.

Edited by tabbycat
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They are just misreading the immigration announcement.

No extension is needed unless you will be staying after September 26th.

The cabinet approved another extension of the original ministerial order approved on April 7th. No changes to it in anyway.

Clear as dog-balls again! Thanks UbonJoe!!

14 minutes ago, peleid said:

Those on visas extensions of stay, just do everything as normal, I have done 2x90 days and my extension of stay in this period

That is not correct. They are not required for anybody and it does not matter what their permit to stay is from.

It is a person's choice to do them or not.

I skipped mine back Apri when things were a lot different than they are now as far as the number of new infections and were under a order to not leave home unless you had to.

3 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

If you're a tourist in Thailand with an expired visa and you must "leave Thailand or get an extension of stay by Sep 26" - can this 'extension of stay' be received through a non-Imm visa? I.E., is converting an expired tourist visa to a non-Imm B/work permit/volunteer visa still permitted?

Yes it can still be done. Anything you do to stay longer legally will be accepted.

5 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

The infographic posted by immigration suggests that further 'extensions' only be requested by tourists due to medical or pandemic-related reasons.

That is not exactly correct. You can apply for any extension you qualify for.

• Like 2

So if the cabinet approved another extension of the original ministerial order approved on April 7 and there are no changes to it, then mandatory 90 day reporting for resident foreigners with ongoing visas is also suspended until September 26.

14 hours ago, Zikomat said:

By all means wait until the last few days of the amnesty to make an extension but don't assume it will be extended again. I would go around September 21 or 22 but without the expectation of an automatic extension.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 9:32 AM, GeorgeCross said:

wow. it's looking like the party is over for those on multiple entry visas.

extend or leave, under the current circumstances, is harsh

i hope borders reopen soon i don't want to see families broken up

Neither to do I.  Am waiting for my son to be able to come back from Vietnam. So far, no luck.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:46 AM, DrJack54 said:

Some ME folk have already used their 60 day extension. Some offices will not issue non o without permission of stay in passport. Those folk need attend immigration and check requirements.

Immigration at jomtien wont answer questions they only angrly tell you and they dont give the right information anyway , i recently went only on friday and was told i cannot get a retirement visa now i must leave thailand by 26th september as i went 2 weeks earlier and because i did not do a retirement visa there and then the immigration officer says i now cannot get a retirement visa i must leave thailand when in fact this is incorrect i can go to a visa agency and get it done there right now  , the immigration officer is obviously lying because i did not do it with them as they knew an extension was coming up also i asked how much would it cost to enter thailand  if i went back to uk and came back to thailand in december , the immigration officer said she nobody knows but i think they do and are not telling tourists as i was told by a friend that he knows somebody who arrived recently and they had to pay 100,000 baht to go into quarentine and pay for hotel accomodation in isolation and get a corona test obviously thailand officials dont want tourists to know this as nobody will come if they know . 

• Like 1

Just now, hottrader77 said:

Immigration at jomtien wont answer questions they only angrly tell you and they dont give the right information anyway , i recently went only on friday and was told i cannot get a retirement visa now i must leave thailand by 26th september as i went 2 weeks earlier and because i did not do a retirement visa there and then the immigration officer says i now cannot get a retirement visa i must leave thailand when in fact this is incorrect i can go to a visa agency and get it done there right now  , the immigration officer is obviously lying because i did not do it with them as they knew an extension was coming up also i asked how much would it cost to enter thailand  if i went back to uk and came back to thailand in december , the immigration officer said she nobody knows but i think they do and are not telling tourists as i was told by a friend that he knows somebody who arrived recently and they had to pay 100,000 baht to go into quarentine and pay for hotel accomodation in isolation and get a corona test obviously thailand officials dont want tourists to know this as nobody will come if they know 

How did you enter Thailand prior to March 26. Example visa exempt, tourist visa etc.

Have you obtained an extension during amnesty?

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. They are not required for anybody and it does not matter what their permit to stay is from.

It is a person's choice to do them or not.

I skipped mine back Apri when things were a lot different than they are now as far as the number of new infections and were under a order to not leave home unless you had to.

I am not stating whether it is correct or not, at the moment the immigration offices are quiet, piece of cake, come September??? You have been warned