Land borders - a tiny blip on the radar

It will all be very interesting to see how the re-opening of the land borders go, as well as regional flights.

My guess is that there is a LOT of signalling between the different governments, where those that seriously need tourists want to open up as soon as possible - Nepal mid-august is an example.

Found this right now:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/07/26/malaysia-singapore-eye-gradual-resumption-of-cross-border-travel-from-aug-1/1888198

Will some type of border run be possible before the end of September??

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

It is very extremely optimistic to think the borders will be open this September.  I wish and hope they will be, but I personally think it is more likely they will still be closed September 2021.  We would all be wise to plan assuming they will not be open this year.

Could be the case... If so, regional air travel kinda will have to happen before that, with or without quarantine measures.

Personally I think some shorter periods when land borders open might be likely, as the economies moves further towards a complete collapse... Then it might shut down again, of course.

• Like 1

You might be right... Currently got a ME non-B with work permit myself, so I might just be able to pull something off, who knows...

So, extended amnesty? Or would they really throw out a ton of people?

Seriously considering calling it a day trying to comply with what all these people on the top want me to do & just go the agent route from now on...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EbhB said:

You might be right... Currently got a ME non-B with work permit myself, so I might just be able to pull something off, who knows...

So, extended amnesty? Or would they really throw out a ton of people?

Seriously considering calling it a day trying to comply with what all these people on the top want me to do & just go the agent route from now on...

If you are eligble you will be able to apply for a 30 day extension, almost thai-zero chance of further amnesty in my opinion.  Eligibility depends on no flights to your country, medical necessity, no option to enter your country etc.. or possibly arranging with an agent to ensure your eligiblity and sorting the 30 day extension - it's anyone guess at this time and will be for the next six weeks or so - I doubt agents are even pricing the rolling 30 day extension service at the moment, I'd wait a few weeks and see what's on the horizon, there's a still a lot of bitter people recovering from the last shock after saying there won't be an amnesty post 31stjuly - I've just seen them resurface last few days with "well it's not technically an amnesty", give them some space... 

short version: ask in a month or so.. 

Edited by dsf9
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

It is very extremely optimistic to think the borders will be open this September.  I wish and hope they will be, but I personally think it is more likely they will still be closed September 2021.  We would all be wise to plan assuming they will not be open this year.

No borders are closed, the definitions are 

Totally Restrictive

Partially Restrictive

The question should be, will the restrictions be eased in September and if so to what extent?.

Quite similar to the question, how long is a piece of string?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Guderian said:

They'll just have to work out some way to accommodate people who need to do visa runs if the borders remain closed past 26th September.

Looking at it from Thailand's perspective, who needs to do visa runs, as opposed to returning to their home countries?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

It will be interesting to see what effect allowing Inthe migrant workers has.

If there is an outbreak as a result of them coming into work in Thailand, you can forget it for anybody else.

They will be getting a covid 19 test and then go into the 14 day quarantine with another test before being released. Not likely to be any cases from them.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:08 PM, EbhB said:

I do not need anyone to tell me, but also DO know that following developments closely gives results & hopefully a TINY bit of freedom in all of this ????

"Will some type of border run be possible before the end of September??"

You did ask a question, then you answer "I do not need anyone to tell me."

Haha 

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It isn't the leaving that's the problem. There have been limited means to do that for months. It's the coming back, the re-entering that is the problem as Thailand continues to shut it's borders to just about everyone.

Neighbouring countries have also closed their borders, not only Thailand. 

39 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The latest news re' Danang isn't going to help things.

Yah, if Vietnam can get new covid cases after 2 months supposedly covid free, Thai authorities must be wondering how many infections Laos and Cambodia really have.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, zzzzz said:

You all might think about land borders and travel bubbles opening

they will be for LOCAL passport holders, which eliminates 95% of the posters here.

When the Amnesty ends i think for many, the only option is to fly back to their own country, if they can.

OR on the outside chance they open for non local passports, 14 day quarantine at your expense for your destination country and than also when you fly back.

Sadly, I think you are on the money.