High Speed rail link heading east: Phase Two plans in doubt amid investor concerns

webfact

What peeved me to a high degree is the closing of crossing gates so long before the dam train arrives at the crossing.  I don't know a lot about this mythical beast for travel to Chiang Mai but one would hope there is grade separation all the way.  A fully loaded passenger train travelling at 160kph ramming a stalled semi truck at a crossing is not a pretty picture. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

A fully loaded passenger train travelling at 160kph ramming a stalled semi truck at a crossing is not a pretty picture.

Imagine what it would do to 4 or 5 on a motorcy!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

What peeved me to a high degree is the closing of crossing gates so long before the dam train arrives at the crossing.

Sheesh, mate even I know that's to allow all the taxi motorbikes to do an S over the tracks whilst you hope and pray the train is still far away

• Haha 2

Is it possible that the investors are noticing the public is becoming ever more scrutinizing of the larger projects, and the lack of deadlines met together with cost explosions and begging bowls are becoming harder to account for

Just possible that the easy money days and the rampant bleeding of the initial money pots is becoming slightly more difficult and challenging or troublesome to deal with without public interest and outcry...........

Wasn't this first pahse really all about the right to develop the Makkasan railway yard area? Threw in the rail link to make it less obvious? Who needs phase two?  Seem to remember the Govt was touting this a couple of days after the coup.

Edited by mokwit

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

What peeved me to a high degree is the closing of crossing gates so long before the dam train arrives at the crossing.  I don't know a lot about this mythical beast for travel to Chiang Mai but one would hope there is grade separation all the way.  A fully loaded passenger train travelling at 160kph ramming a stalled semi truck at a crossing is not a pretty picture. 

let's hope that was meant as sarcasm and not ignorance

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

What about the high speed train to Chiang Mai ? 

Forget it.

Like Thailand should forget high speed rail

It will never be profitable AND will spell doom for the existing railways.

Better would be if all that money was invested to upgrade the existing lines, make them suitable for higher speeds, buy talgo like rolling stock, plan more trains.

Metre gauge can easily have 150-160 km/h top speeds and with suitable track, signalling and rolling stock even higher speeds are possible.

Much cheaper as so-called high speed rail running on a top speed of 200km/u, which needs everything new, including very expensive signalling.

Investors know this very well, and also that the number of passengers for the high speed trains will never give profits while the HSL will also eat away the passengers from the existing rail.

The only reason the Chinese want the high speed trains is strategic.

And of course saddling Thailand up with huge debts is always handy for China.

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Please note that High speed rail lines do not have crossings over the tracks on the main lines, (outside of stations  and maintenance areas).

Lets just hope that the rail lines are built well enough that the trains don't end up careering off the rails onto the roads to add to the carnage there. ????

Edited by jojothai
clarification
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

wait, is there a real link between the 2 airports or just dreaming ?

They are calling it the three airport link. I trust its been translated correctly.

The line will use the existing city line into Bangkok with tunnel proposed to link it to Bang Sue and Don Mueang. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

As long as phase 1 is done who cares about a train to Trat??

I do. I live there! We don't even have a bus service to Pattaya, only minivans. And what about the freight traffic to Cambodia and Vietnam, not to mention passengers? Since the Asia superhighway turns back into a goat track as soon as you cross the Cambodian border, a HSL would go down a treat straight through to HCM city. Fat chance I must say.

9 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I do. I live there! We don't even have a bus service to Pattaya, only minivans. And what about the freight traffic to Cambodia and Vietnam, not to mention passengers? Since the Asia superhighway turns back into a goat track as soon as you cross the Cambodian border, a HSL would go down a treat straight through to HCM city. Fat chance I must say.

Fair dues, you obviously are way more qualified than me on it. And yes, it's looking like it may not happen.

There isn't a bus from Pattaya - Trat?

5 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I’ll wait a few years to ride a high speed train in Thailand. It may be bankrupt by then-or a tourist attraction?

AFAIK this is not a high speed train aka Bullet train such as Shikansen, ICE or TGV. 

The design speed is 160km/h, almost double of the current average track speed.

That's why it's often named as High speed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jojothai said:

They are calling it the three airport link. I trust its been translated correctly.

The line will use the existing city line into Bangkok with tunnel proposed to link it to Bang Sue and Don Mueang. 

The extension to Don Mueang Airport is called red line and can be linked to the existing ARL via the new Bang Sue Grand station.

Another extension to the east will be between Suvarnabhumi and U-Tapao.

2 hours ago, CLW said:

The extension to Don Mueang Airport is called red line and can be linked to the existing ARL via the new Bang Sue Grand station.

Another extension to the east will be between Suvarnabhumi and U-Tapao.

Yes the 3 airport link goes from Bang Sue to Don Mueang but its not designated to be on the red line.

It will be on high speed rail line.

There will also be the China High speed trains running through Bang Sue to Don Mueang for Nakhon Ratchasima / Nong Khai.

Bang Sue will be a huge interchange when this all comes to fruition.

Plan is for the station to have four floors, three above, and one below ground:[9]

Underground floor: Bang Sue MRT Station, on the MRT Blue Line station. Already operating.
Ground floor: Station concourse with ticketing and waiting areas. Air Conditioned.
Second floor: Train platforms with 12 tracks. Eight tracks will serve long-distance diesel trains (soon to be electrified). Four tracks will serve SRT Red Dark and Light Red Line commuter trains.
Third floor: High–speed railway platforms with 10 tracks. Four tracks will serve the Airport Rail Link and the Don Mueang–Suvarnabhumi–U-Tapao high-speed railway linking Don Mueang International Airport, Suvarnabhumi Airport and U-Tapao International Airport. Six tracks are reserved for future high-speed rail (HSR) connections to Nong Khai, Hua Hin (and Chiang Mai if that goes ahead later).

2 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Yes the 3 airport link goes from Bang Sue to Don Mueang but its not designated to be on the red line.

It will be on high speed rail line.

There will also be the China High speed trains running through Bang Sue to Don Mueang for Nakhon Ratchasima / Nong Khai.

Bang Sue will be a huge interchange when this all comes to fruition.

Plan is for the station to have four floors, three above, and one below ground:[9]

Underground floor: Bang Sue MRT Station, on the MRT Blue Line station. Already operating.
Ground floor: Station concourse with ticketing and waiting areas. Air Conditioned.
Second floor: Train platforms with 12 tracks. Eight tracks will serve long-distance diesel trains (soon to be electrified). Four tracks will serve SRT Red Dark and Light Red Line commuter trains.
Third floor: High–speed railway platforms with 10 tracks. Four tracks will serve the Airport Rail Link and the Don Mueang–Suvarnabhumi–U-Tapao high-speed railway linking Don Mueang International Airport, Suvarnabhumi Airport and U-Tapao International Airport. Six tracks are reserved for future high-speed rail (HSR) connections to Nong Khai, Hua Hin (and Chiang Mai if that goes ahead later).

Yeah, but now it ain't gonna happen in any foreseeable future with no ministers - there's obviously been some big rift.

23 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Yeah, but now it ain't gonna happen in any foreseeable future with no ministers - there's obviously been some big rift.

That is not the only problem on the 3 airport link and it will be delayed for a number of factors. All has gone quiet.

The Chinese high speed rail civil works are under construction, albeit contracts are delayed because of Covid 19.

There are no signs yet that it will become another hopewell, with no hope.

And the Bang Sue station building is already mostly built. Blue line running, other Rail lines and their infrastructure to be added.

Edited by jojothai
add info

1 hour ago, jojothai said:

That is not the only problem on the 3 airport link and it will be delayed for a number of factors. All has gone quiet.

The Chinese high speed rail civil works are under construction, albeit contracts are delayed because of Covid 19.

There are no signs yet that it will become another hopewell, with no hope.

And the Bang Sue station building is already mostly built. Blue line running, other Rail lines and their infrastructure to be added.

never said it was the only problem - follow this story....https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-economy/update-2-thai-finance-minister-resigns-amid-economic-team-shake-up-idUSL3N2EN1D0

18 hours ago, keith101 said:

What about the high speed train to Chiang Mai ? 

CM is off the radar...

a high speed network linking north>south east>west would make sense...

but when did sense ever prevail.