Need Help ASAP - Thai child birth certificate with foreign father.

Mama Noodle

I’m currently in the hospital in Surin and the wife is going for a c-section in about ONE HOUR. 

Nurse comes in, says that due to me being foreign, the wife will have to be taken in a <deleted> AMBULANCE to the amphur for an “interview” before we can get a birth cert with my name on it. 

Wife loses her <deleted> and starts crying wondering why the heck she has to do that while recovering from surgery and childbirth. I’m straight-up fuming but trying to keep my cool for my wife’s sake as she’s very upset. 

New lady comes in and says that we WILL get a birth cert with both of our names on it, me as the father, but we have THREE DAYS to report to the main Surin amphur for an “interview” to get “a paper” (remember the wife will be stitched up from surgery and a days old baby in tow). 

We then have to take that “paper” from the Main surin amphur to my local sub district amphur (still in surin province) for “another paper” so that we can then get the baby on our tabien Baan. 

Can anyone please let me know what the procedure is? These absolute numbskulls have no idea and I’m not about to make the wife suffer through days of runaround after all this. 

I was under the impression that we’d simply get a birth cert (with me as the father) then take that to our local amphur for tabien baan registration. 

HELP

We did not have to do anything of that sort when my child was born. The hospital issued a birth certificate with my name on it as father (but this has no legal use, as it is solely recorded depending on the mother's declaration that xxx is the father). The child can get into the tabien baan based solely on mother's nationality. In due vourse, child will also get a Thai id & passport. 

• Like 1

We had the official marriage cert from the amphoe for the hospital at the time of birth, they required it before listing me as the father on the bc.  I have been told this is required of foreigners here.

Maybe the hospital wants you to go to the amphoe and get the official marriage cert. so you can be listed on the bc., if you don't have one already.  Could be doing you a favor in that case as to be listed as the father on the bc. later on my require a lot of expense.  Also impt. to be the father on the bc. is going to get a passport for the child from your home nation.

Mother in law took all the paperwork a few days after the birth. The only problem was, they would not accept a falang name for my daughter. Used the Thai name she chose, which I hate. This was in Petchabun in 1993.

Reminds me of when our son was born in Chula Hospital Bangkok  back in 1991. As far as I recall i provided  a passport copy and signed off as required. No marriage cert as not married at that time.

Anyway, only found out later that the birth certificate had my son (with Thai mother) noted as 'Not Thai'!! As they didn't issue replacement BC's there was a need to raise a petition (with Ministry of Interior?) to allow the Amphur to append a correction, fully stamped' on the reverse of the BC with a new ID number (from prefix 7 to prefix 5). Quite a palaver, which, luckily, I was not aware of until well after the event. Think my (now) wife was thinking I would blame her for the issue, rather than the numbskulls in the office.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

As @BritManToo said. The main points to remember are that the hospital gives you a document to prove the birth. That document is presented to the local Amphur, along with both parent's ID's, etc. The Amphur gives you the birth certificate. The birth certificate is then used to register the child in a house book (normally the same house book as the mother).

You have 15 days to complete this.

That’s pretty much what I thought the process was but then these absolute ‘tards start talking about going via ambulance before the wife is even recovered for an “interview”. They even said it was “the law”. We’re supposed to be in hospital for 3 days and I just had to book it 70 k’s round trip to get my wife’s tabien baan she forgot, which they just had to have RIGHT NOW. Luckily I made it back before she’s out of surgery. 

And this is all at the big private hospital so I’m paying a premium for this? What a mess. 

To recap and to end my rant- I take the document the hospital gives me that proves birth, to my LOCAL amphur (not a double trip like they say) the one where our house is registered, and they will provide the official birth certificate AND update the tabien baan. One stop, with 15 days to complete it. 

That sound right?

27 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

To recap and to end my rant- I take the document the hospital gives me that proves birth, to my LOCAL amphur (not a double trip like they say) the one where our house is registered, and they will provide the official birth certificate AND update the tabien baan. One stop, with 15 days to complete it. 

That sound right?

Yep.

Thai nurses in a rural hospital don't know very much about anything outside their area of expertise.

I had one in Thai government hospital a few years back, they did a great job, total cost 1,000bht for a private room.

PS

C-Section isn't that debilitating these days.

My misses had one in the UK, and was pushing the trolley around Tesco 24hrs later, on her way home from hospital. No bending, no lifting, and move around carefully. 3 days is excessive, it's just an overnight in a UK hospital.

PPS.

How is mom and baby doing?

Edited by BritManToo

40 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

And this is all at the big private hospital so I’m paying a premium for this? What a mess. 

In which case you shouldn't have to do anything. I didn't lift a finger for either of my 2 other than give them my passport. They did everything. Sounds like you are dealing with the B team.

My wife delivered our baby 6 weeks ago in government hospital. No c-section.

We got the next day a paper, that the baby got born, had to fill in the name and let it stamp in the hospital.

Then, since my wife couldnt leave the hospital, I went to the Ampur of the hospital district, I had to, and applied for the birth certificate.

When arriving there, unfortunately i couldnt do it, because you need an Id-card with this chip on it which can run through their pc system. So only Thais can do the registration.

i had to call a thai friend, which came immediately, made a power of attorney to her, stamps 12bht, and she could register our kid and I got the birth certificate.

Then from there, you have 15 days, if iam not wrong, to register the baby in your ampur to the blue book. This was done by my wife without a problem.

Not specific to this case, but the local amphoe can provide signed copies  of the Birth Certificate at any time for 10 baht each, including in English - An  English version may be useful if applying for a foreign (e.g. British) passport. Got my daughters English version BC done last month.

When my daughter was born in 2010 at Bumrungrad, the hospital did everything, the Thai birth certificate and also I asked them to do translate it into English also ( I had to pay extra) and they even took pictures for her Canadian Citizenship and passport . it took awhile, but they did. They even accepted her non Thai names.

On 7/31/2020 at 5:14 PM, BritManToo said:

Hospital gives you a 'receipt' to prove birth of a child.

You go to the local Amphur office of your wife's house book along with the 'receipt', house book, her ID card and your passport.

Make sure to take a copy of your marriage certificate so the Thai version of your name matches the birth cert they issue. You don't want to end up with the marriage cert and the birth cert having different Thai spellings of your name.

No interviews required, wife not required, baby not required, actually you're not required either.

Did it myself, all very easy.

PS

Take the kid's name written in Thai script on a piece of paper to show them.

Check your name, her name and the kid's name are all spelled correctly in Thai script before they print the birth certificate as they're a bit careless and it's hard to fix later.

You get more than a receipt at the hospital. There's information about date and time, boy or girl, weight and length etc etc. All necessary information. 

On 7/31/2020 at 11:40 AM, Mama Noodle said:

Can anyone please let me know what the procedure is? These absolute numbskulls have no idea and I’m not about to make the wife suffer through days of runaround after all this. 

I was under the impression that we’d simply get a birth cert (with me as the father) then take that to our local amphur for tabien baan registration. 

HELP

My daughter was born by c-section at a local government hospital in Surin; excellent service.

We got a document (receipt) from the hospital to bring to the local district office for birth certificate, ID-number, and registration in house book. You normally have three days to do that, my girlfriend had recovered enough to that we could go together to the office.

You have to decide for a name by that time, when I did it (some years ago now) foreign sounding first names was not allowed; they had a big black folder with prohibited names, but couldn't luckily find the one we had chosen.

I'm not married, so the mother is my Thai girlfriend, but it was no problem for the child to have my family name. However – and I'm referring to my Surin-experience, so I reserve for later changes – you need of course your passport, and a Thai translation of you name, and the translation need to be officially verified, preferably by your embassy. Probably a marriage certificate might work.

Gratulations with your new family member...????

On 7/31/2020 at 5:19 PM, IraqRon said:

We had the official marriage cert from the amphoe for the hospital at the time of birth, they required it before listing me as the father on the bc.  I have been told this is required of foreigners here.

Maybe the hospital wants you to go to the amphoe and get the official marriage cert. so you can be listed on the bc., if you don't have one already.  Could be doing you a favor in that case as to be listed as the father on the bc. later on my require a lot of expense.  Also impt. to be the father on the bc. is going to get a passport for the child from your home nation.

I am not married to my partner and had no trouble at all being put on the birth certificate (12 years ago Surin province) of my son. I later went to court to get my son 'legalized' ie. to get official recognition of my being the father.

Process sounds extremely accurate as per our experiences 3 years ago. My Mrs went along and sorted it whilst I looked after the newborn. Did take a few hours and she had to push a few matters when they tried to object to stuff. Whoever is saying they could not get a certain name put on the very got gamed. I walk into pizza hit and get the same excuse or the other day a security guard said I could not leave a complex. Too many wannabes wearing a uniform. Got to insist.

Wife Thai/ Me UK: I was overseas when my son was born, my wife registered the birth with me as the named father, no issues.   The number on the birth certificate will be the child's ID number, my son has just got his last year and the numbers match. His name on his ID card didn't matched his English name, by a long way.  I sent his Aunt a Thai legalised english translation I got done in Pattaya, they changed it to match the next day, important you get this right.  Prior to him being 7 (that's when they normally get their ID), I used his Birth Cert (Must be Thai Original) for domestic flights.  

Congrats, hope all goes well.

Appreciate the well wishes and good advice. Mom and baby are all good, healthy, and we are all finally home. 

That said, my sanity is finally coming back to me now that were home and out of the hospital. 

We were in there for 4 days and 3 nights and we still do not have that 'receipt' of birth from the hospital. Can you believe that??? They finally broke me and I lost my <deleted> when they told us upon check out that the 'big boss' of the hospital has to sign our 'paper' because im farang, and hes not there. 

You mean to tell me in the 4 days we've been there you couldn't get this taken care of?!? When will he be back? Maybe the 6th. Maybe?!? Yes. Come back and 'try' on the 6th. Try again on the 6th? How about you guys <deleted> call us when the document is ready so I dont have to waste any more of my time and sanity on you people? Ok. 

Aside from the nurses and the c-section doctor, who were awesome, the administration of that hospital was an abomination. Insulting. Humiliating. Insensitive. 

It was a very large mistake to go there. We should have just did the government hospital. Im still fuming every time I think about it. First they had my wife crying AN HOUR before giving birth, then they told us we have 3 days to do what they said we needed, then they come back FOUR DAYS after birth and say they dont have the paper, and in typical thailand fashion im the <deleted> when they finally get me to lose my <deleted>. 

Oh and that tabien baan I just HAD TO GET right at that very moment while the wife was getting her c-section? They didn't even take it from me until the 3rd day. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Oh and that tabien baan I just HAD TO GET right at that very moment while the wife was getting her c-section? They didn't even take it from me until the 3rd day. 

it's not required that the hospital see the house book.

Receipt should have been issued same day as the child was born.

Don't pay them until they produce the paperwork.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

it's not required that the hospital see the house book.

Receipt should have been issued same day as the child was born.

Don't pay them until they produce the paperwork.

Too late, already paid. Right at 50k baht. 

I thought about not paying but after me losing my <deleted> and making everyone in the room severely uncomfortable, I thought it best to get mom & baby home and settled. 

Ive got no idea what else I should do other than wait until the 6th and start harassing them. 

This whole episode was by far my worst Thailand experience, and its crazy because me  and the wife did everything we thought we could to try and make it as comfortable and easy as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I thought about not paying but after me losing my <deleted> and making everyone in the room severely uncomfortable, I thought it best to get mom & baby home and settled. 

Don't know about uncomfortable, I would have had someone off their feet against the wall until they did their job.

My misses would have been a lot worse and called a pal with a gun.

They certainly wouldn't have been paid.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know about uncomfortable, I would have had someone off their feet against the wall until they did their job.

My misses would have been a lot worse and called a pal with a gun.

They certainly wouldn't have been paid.

At least you're seeing why I was so angry. Seemed like everyone in the room thought I was out of line and causing a scene. Felt like I was taking crazy pills or something. 

• Like 1

Wife just asked me to send her some pictures of us and the baby in the house. 

Why? Because the hospital called her and asked for it. Just in case the amphur needs it, they say. They also wanted to call and confirm my wifes last name, even though we gave them a whole-ass packet with all of our names spelled in english and thai. 

Im not sure I can take much more. Im about ready to have a full blown meltdown. I hate this place and want to go home. 

JUST GIVE ME THE <deleted> PAPERWORK