Pattaya: Transport is in a mess and 80% agree with monorail scheme set to start in 2024

webfact

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thailand seems incapable of creating underground transportation

I would certainly never use an underground train service in Thailand, an elevated train has a short drop to the ground at worst, underground can you imagine where all that flood water will go?

The thought of being buried alive or drowned is not on my bucket list of ways to go.

• Haha 2

First get rid of those mostly empty chinese tour busses that have destroyed almost every road in inner pattaya. Have allocated baht bus pick up area which will never happen as police won't inforce it. If that doesn't work and probably never will at least make the sky train as a loop. 

• Like 2

Some city planners seem to be fascinated by the futuristic sound of the word monorail, maybe they were fans of the Jetsons as children. Google “Sydney monorail project” to see what can happen.

Agree that the baht buses are the world’s best public transport system.

• Like 1

The boys must be smoking extremely good weed again; never heard more rubbish in a very long time coming out of sin city's city hall. Leadership at its very best and pockets being lined all the way. 

Thank you also for the typical picture of experts looking at waterbottles, making little drawings on a paper pad with the pencil provided for and looking forward to the free lunch buffet. Bottomline is, yet another working day can be ticked off. 

Not, that it would be of planetary relevance but how many persons asked in the survey represent 80% (is it 8 out of 10 or 80'000 out of 100'000)? Any clue who should 1) pay for this and 2) how does the P&L look for company being "entrusted" with its operation? 
6pm2.jpg.20d8170ba4c36e0fcbeb5a61d225c6a9.jpg.d91caac70be97e6de362d2ae2de1ae57.jpg

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Second Rd isn't wide enough for the amount of traffic at times.  What will it be like when half the width of Second Road is taken up by the monorail supports? 

Then there are the stairs needed for passengers to get to to monorail - kiss the sidewalks goodby just like in Bangkok for the BTS.

The whole idea of a monorail is simply ludicrous.  It takes about 5 seconds to think of something much better but apparently the city officials can't think outside the box except for how to get more kickbacks.

An electric people transporter system consisting of small electric buses that only stop at stations where customers are waiting would be less expensive and more useful, especially since it could be used on all the major roads such as Beach Rd, Second Road, Pattaya North/Central/South, Soi Buakhao, etc.  It could be based on small electric buses having perhaps a dozen seats but tall enough for passengers to stand.  A 10 Bt coin or an electronic card or FID chip system like used for the Bangkok BTS and subway systems would eliminate all the crew needed except for the driver.  This system would be much less expensive to implement, easily expandable, and move more passengers for a lot less money.

for my two pence worth I  would close down Beach road and make a promenade so free of all traffic for pedestrians to enjoy . Taxis etc from the many side streets or maybe an elevated electric mono rail . Would be wheelchair friendly and no high kerbs to climb .

57 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I would certainly never use an underground train service in Thailand, an elevated train has a short drop to the ground at worst, underground can you imagine where all that flood water will go?

The thought of being buried alive or drowned is not on my bucket list of ways to go.

I guess you're not a fan of the MRT, then.  As I recall, it had a lot fewer upsets and delays than the above ground BTS in the 7 years I used it.

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

With all the floods here this needs to be a kind of submarine. 

3 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Second Rd isn't wide enough for the amount of traffic at times.  What will it be like when half the width of Second Road is taken up by the monorail supports? 

Then there are the stairs needed for passengers to get to to monorail - kiss the sidewalks goodby just like in Bangkok for the BTS.

The whole idea of a monorail is simply ludicrous.  It takes about 5 seconds to think of something much better but apparently the city officials can't think outside the box except for how to get more kickbacks.

An electric people transporter system consisting of small electric buses that only stop at stations where customers are waiting would be less expensive and more useful, especially since it could be used on all the major roads such as Beach Rd, Second Road, Pattaya North/Central/South, Soi Buakhao, etc.  It could be based on small electric buses having perhaps a dozen seats but tall enough for passengers to stand.  A 10 Bt coin or an electronic card or FID chip system like used for the Bangkok BTS and subway systems would eliminate all the crew needed except for the driver.  This system would be much less expensive to implement, easily expandable, and move more passengers for a lot less money.

Amen to that. Not to mention browsing local shops while waiting for the transporter. We had them called la balade at the Montreal worlds fair and they were wonderful.

HARRY FOR MAYOR!

Edited by grobec
Spelling

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Sorry, I put mono rail in my above post ( concerning Nice) where I meant Tram lines. 

Yes Electrical trams are the way forward much more practical and environmental friendly and much faster to install and they  can ran easily into Jomtien aswell.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes Electrical trams are the way forward much more practical and environmental friendly and much faster to install and they  can ran easily into Jomtien aswell.

Tram lines? The biggest <deleted> you can imagine in a city.

• Confused 1

More talk, more meetings, more committees, more feasibility studies, all the while, they can't even get proper metered taxis in this city, and it's 2020.

Meanwhile, while they continue with their same old BS here, Vietnam next door, and apparently a poorer country, are breaking world records for transporting people. 

Not hard to see where the future of tourism in South East Asia is.

Transport agency eyes Bt39-billion railway project for Chonburi

By The Nation

800_0ee7ec923696ccc.jpg

The Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP) has launched a feasibility study on a railway system around Pattaya City, and reckons construction of the Bt39-billion project should begin by 2023. 

This development is in line with plans to make Chonburi the hub of the Eastern Economic Corridor and the proposal was received well by investors at a market-sounding meeting last Friday (August 14).

The railway project aims to foster connections between neighbouring provinces and help Pattaya become a new centre of prosperity in the East, Roengsak Thongsom, a director at OTP, said. 

Meanwhile, real-estate development in the vicinity of the Pattaya high-speed train station will be developed in four phases: the initial phase (2021-2022) which will focus on preparations, short-term (2023-2027) covering 686,000 square metres, middle-term (2028-2032) covering 595,000sqm and long-term (2033-2037) covering 322,000sqm.

The development area will be divided into six zones based on the Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) guidelines for Chonburi: 

Zone 1: MICE City (red) will include commercial areas such as shopping malls, hotels and convention centres to serve tourists and business travellers. 

Zone 2: Creativity Economy (blue) aims to promote and support the local economy, trade, investment and integrated services and will comprise offices, retail stores and feeders for passenger transfer. 

Zone 3: Park Society (green) will include larger green and recreational areas for tourists who attend workshops or communities. A leisure park will also be built in the area.

Zone 4: Active District (purple) will be an integrated commercial development area and include shopping centres, retail shops as well as new businesses like start-ups. It will also include a conference centre. 

Zone 5: Liveable City (orange) will include residential areas such as condominiums and housing estates along with recreation areas, markets and green spaces. 

Zone 6: Society District (brown) will include supporting services such as medical centres and education centres to help make Pattaya City more attractive. 

According to studies, OTP believes that the population in the area will rise by approximately 24,000 people by 2037, with some 10,000 job opportunities created. It also estimates that more than 12,000 passengers per day will use the Pattaya railway by 2037. TOD will also provide six feeder routes covering 57,000 or 60 per cent of Pattaya’s population. 

The project of building a secondary public-transport system for the TOD area will take approximately two years and a budget of about Bt1.35 billion. 

Infrastructure, such as roads, footpaths and other public areas, will be jointly invested in by the public and private sectors. 

OTP estimates that the initial investment for the project will be Bt4.55 billion.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393329?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-21

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

No sorry i wouldn’t call a bus a tram !! I would choose for electrical trams since they are  less wide then your Trolley bus !!!

Trams are brilliant. They would be an excellent addition to Pattaya. Do they have them anywhere in Thailand?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Trams are brilliant. They would be an excellent addition to Pattaya. Do they have them anywhere in Thailand?

They are but such is the limited space in Pattaya that a monorail isn't a bad idea, in principle, as it maintains the ground level roads for traffic.

Lockdown, though, has obviously upset the applecart and I'm not sure this plan will see fruition by 2024.  The future outlook is so dire and distorted now that it's probably best not to pursue such an extravagant scheme until Pattaya's prospects look more positive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Question.....If the monorail is so super-duper why wait till 2024 to build it ??......

Because they have no money now, and its all a dream, it will never happen, a new government will be elected before 2024, and the plans put in the bin... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, impulse said:

I guess you're not a fan of the MRT, then.  As I recall, it had a lot fewer upsets and delays than the above ground BTS in the 7 years I used it.

You make the assumption everyone lives in Bangkok served with choices.... when they decide to up-grade the cattle truck that passes for public transport in my neck of the woods I will make a favourable remark.

12 hours ago, Oldie said:

Not so long ago they tried a bus system. Perhaps the monorail can use the signs for the bus stops that are often still standing around...

TTBOMK, this is the second aircon bus program they tried as long as I have been in Thailand.  The first one was great -- aircon, comfortable seating -- for almost nothing (I don't remember what we paid).  Baht Bus drivers HATED them and would intentionally slow them down and block them when possible.

3 hours ago, torturedsole said:

They are but such is the limited space in Pattaya that a monorail isn't a bad idea, in principle, as it maintains the ground level roads for traffic.

Have you considered the support structure that is required for a monorail -- as well as the stairs necessary to access?  How do you you think that will affect the space for cars on the road?

• Like 2