Thai tourist arrivals tumble 71% year-on-year in January-July amid outbreak

webfact

52 minutes ago, tonysilly said:

Do not Believe a word of this... they must have a crystal ball? How's the Thai tourist working out? Restaurants and shops still empty. I see the Thai tourist eating their sticky rice on the Beach. 

That they cooked in there rooms.....

• Like 2

What's the point of doing statistics of tourists arrival and spending if no tourists allowed in for the past 6 months and no end fire the restrictions in sight? There are only 2 ways to change the statistics. 1 is to count all foreign arrivals - work permit holders, married people, diplomats and all others that actually live here but are not Thai citizens (and I always had a feeling that tourist numbers included all those anyway...). The other option is just to open the borders

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I'm not sure I'd agree that tourism was going downhill if you're talking total visitor numbers. They seemed to be going up and up most years.

But I do think Thailand has a problem with fewer people becoming repeat visitors. The impression I got is that there was increasing discontent as people visited Thailand once, maybe twice, but then decided they didn't really want to return. That's very different from how I remember things in the past when some people were planning their next trip to Thailand as the wheels were leaving the tarmac on the long flight home!

In our experience the low season last year was quieter than previous years I get the feeling that the Chinese are not repeat visitors, for us the best are the Russians they have a proper holiday we already have bookings for Christmas and into January obviously we will have to wait and see if it's possible

• Like 2

I don,t know who writes this stuff, but 71% down is ridiculous, more like 98% in Pattaya and other tourist venues ???? With the ridiculous regulations in place things are only going to get worse as more and more businesses are forced to close. It,s a disaster area out there.

• Like 2