Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

On 10/12/2020 at 12:39 PM, aussiexpat said:

I can leave Australia any time I want, as of 2 months ago the government published their policy that if you have "a compelling reason to leave Australia for more than 3 months" then they will grant an exemption. I have confirmed that owning a Condo with long history of living in Thailand 6 months per year is a compelling reason to get the exemption.  

Not that easy getting back again though

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So a defining moment when I turned 55 on Saturday and I feel like I've wasted a year of my life since I had to urgently travel back to Aus last November.

Lots of talk about potential travel bubble with Aus or reduced quarantine with none of them eventuating. So time to suck it up and just do it.

Now convincing myself that the 2 week ASQ is actually a 2 week rehab program due to no alchohol allowed, so it's cheap rehab ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2020 at 4:29 AM, aussiexpat said:

So a defining moment when I turned 55 on Saturday and I feel like I've wasted a year of my life since I had to urgently travel back to Aus last November.

Lots of talk about potential travel bubble with Aus or reduced quarantine with none of them eventuating. So time to suck it up and just do it.

Now convincing myself that the 2 week ASQ is actually a 2 week rehab program due to no alchohol allowed, so it's cheap rehab ????

white wine is cheap in 'Aus'. you know where you want to be...

On 11/17/2020 at 5:29 PM, aussiexpat said:

Lucky country not so lucky anymore?

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Lucky country not so lucky anymore?

Well not when the plan to move permanently to Thailand was blocked 2 days before my flight lol.

I had thrown out a load of stuff, sold a lot of stuff and packed everything else for storage, so life here is not the same when you're just waiting to leave.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, Leaver said:

But, if you have a 1 year visa and a tattoo of Buddha, that's as good as residency and citizenship, isn't it?  ????

Also requires defending the kingdom against all farang enemies on TVF.

• Haha 2

On 8/26/2020 at 7:44 PM, Pilotman said:

'better times'? it's never been better here in LOS and in Pattaya in particular. Very pleasant place now it's not maxed out with people. 

You didn't mention the light traffic. Not a tourist bus to be seen. I'm not looking forward to it returning to normal.

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You didn't mention the light traffic. Not a tourist bus to be seen. I'm not looking forward to it returning to normal.

Unfortunately with the light traffic, people (Thais and foreigners)

tends to drive much more faster so the streets aren't less dangerous at the end

but yes it's more easy to move for one point to another

(Except on South Pattaya road with all the road work actually in progress)

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Unfortunately with the light traffic, people (Thais and foreigners)

tends to drive much more faster so the streets aren't less dangerous at the end

but yes it's more easy to move for one point to another

(Except on South Pattaya road with all the road work actually in progress)

The Thai punks ride over in Jomtien at dangerous speeds.. with altered exhausts, obviously trying to make up for other "difficiencies.". No sign of any enforcement whatsoever.  Also, seen it morph into youth biker gangs, but overall my stays have been chill. I found a good all around budget hotel on soi 12, that still has a 24 hour desk, and great maid service.  Around 350 per night, 300m to a good beach. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, moontang said:

The Thai punks ride over in Jomtien at dangerous speeds.. with altered exhausts, obviously trying to make up for other "difficiencies.". No sign of any enforcement whatsoever.  Also, seen it morph into youth biker gangs, but overall my stays have been chill. I found a good all around budget hotel on soi 12, that still has a 24 hour desk, and great maid service.  Around 350 per night, 300m to a good beach. 

I just feel bad for all the foreigners being stuck in their overpriced condo

in Jomtiem and now forced to live with this problem every night,

When i read the forum and the multiples problems the owners have

i congrat myself to rent, at least i am free to move when it's needed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I just feel bad for all the foreigners being stuck in their overpriced condo

in Jomtiem and now forced to live with this problem every night,

When i read the forum and the multiples problems the owners have

i congrat myself to rent, at least i am free to move when it's needed

Renting vs buying is just a gamble, like shares, easy money when the market is down

• Like 1

Quite a few of the renters have been locked out of the country and have to keep paying rent or arrange a move out, which could be complicated and expensive.  Meanwhile, owners just have to pay the maintenance fee, which is about what a smallish storage area would cost.  Both would be better than having your gf's family living in it and not even paying the water bill.  If you own and bought at the top, the costs to ride it out aren't bad, but if you are forced to sell, you could be looking at a 40% loss.  Of course, there is the question of the local economy taking years to recover, if at all, but it seems like (unfortunately) they can solve most of their problems (certainly, not mine) by opening up to just China. A bad day at the beach is a lot better than a bad day at the race track or even work... I am currently in visa extension mode.. Just got my insurance originals in the mail.  I plan on being in Jomtien for Christmas.  It might not be as appealing, to me, next year, but one man's famine can be another man's feast.  The Feminazis will accuse everyone of just going for cheap sex, anyways, so might as well go, when it is cheap. 

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, moontang said:

but if you are forced to sell, you could be looking at a 40% loss. 

That's if there is a buyer. 

What is the loss if no one buys?

7 hours ago, moontang said:

It might not be as appealing, to me, next year, but one man's famine can be another man's feast.  The Feminazis will accuse everyone of just going for cheap sex, anyways, so might as well go, when it is cheap. 

Once you have factored in expensive flights and quarantine, is it still cheap?  

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Usual sour grapes and schadenfreude. Condo owners can install soundproofing and then it's plenty quiet enough. Saves on the electric bill, too. Renters will inevitably quote the Little Miss Muffet Principle.  

condoworry.png.c25a3d03e4099c8b59b7eaaabe1c2c6f.png

The real estate part of the forum disagree with your statement

it seems the owners are facing endless problems when  the renters

only have the problem to have their deposit back when they move.

I presume you and Newnative are probably the happy few being lucky enough

to have  0 issue with your condo then i suggest to modify your nice ball %

in orange the owners with problems

and in blue the ones with 0 problems (Aka you and Newnative)

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Usual sour grapes and schadenfreude. Condo owners can install soundproofing and then it's plenty quiet enough. Saves on the electric bill, too. Renters will inevitably quote the Little Miss Muffet Principle.  

condoworry.png.c25a3d03e4099c8b59b7eaaabe1c2c6f.png

Can condo owners sell when they want to / need to?  Noooooooo.  They are stuck with the property.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

The real estate part of the forum disagree with your statement

it seems the owners are facing endless problems when  the renters

only have the problem to have their deposit back when they move.

Any real estate forum in any country has lots of domestic buyers and potential buyers with countless problems. Judging by the part of any forum here, some foreigners seem to face endless problems anyway. Such people should follow the Little Miss Muffet Principle. Religiously. They usually do, however.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

That's if there is a buyer. 

What is the loss if no one buys?

Once you have factored in expensive flights and quarantine, is it still cheap?  

Been in the Mango all year... 128 THB gets me there.  

• Confused 1

On 12/20/2020 at 11:08 PM, BigStar said:

Any real estate forum in any country has lots of domestic buyers and potential buyers with countless problems.

Last I heard, there was something like 20,000 properties for sale in Pattaya.  With a figure like that, who do you thing has "countless problems" the buyers, or the sellers?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was just thinking today that Jomtien remi ds me of the GFC in the US in 2009...the large number of vacated commercial space, closed businesses, etc.. the difference is there were actual firesale prices in the US, then.  I bought three homes for less than 75k us.. now they are worth about 400k..just not seeing the deals, here, but maybe give it time.  Bankruptcy moves slow here, and so do bank repossessions.. just look at Thai Airways.. But even if you see 25 cents on the Dollar, here, an extremely small number of lifelong renters will take the plunge.. sheep buy high.. you are more likely to see people that were buying high, buying similar properties at the fire sales. 

16 minutes ago, moontang said:

But even if you see 25 cents on the Dollar, here, an extremely small number of lifelong renters will take the plunge.. sheep buy high.. you are more likely to see people that were buying high, buying similar properties at the fire sales. 

Why would life long renters take the plunge, when rents are going to rock bottom?

Why would the sheep buy high again, when rents are plummeting, and more and more properties are coming onto the market, not to mention, the new builds being completed.   

38 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why would life long renters take the plunge, when rents are going to rock bottom?

Why would the sheep buy high again, when rents are plummeting, and more and more properties are coming onto the market, not to mention, the new builds being completed.   

Strategic defaulters are more likely to take advantage of low prices than the sheep. How many sheep made the plunge and bought stocks for the first time in April? High amounts of new retail accounts are a signal for a bust, not a boom, as the sheep are the last ones to the party and the first to get slaughtered. 

Edited by moontang