Thailand’s monster flood visible from space

snoop1130

14 hours ago, samsensam said:

flood and drought seem recurring predictable problems and little seems to be done the alleviate the problems by successive governments. maybe it's a daft idea but how about building reservoirs in areas with rain to support the drier areas? as happened in victorian times in the uk when haweswater reservoir was built in the lake district to provide water for mancheter. and how about getting dutch experts to help with flooding prevention?

I seem to remember a few years ago. the Dutch did approached the Thai government regarding the flooding of Bangkok. The Dutch were basically given the brush off with words to the effect of, We don`t need your help. And Bangkok continues to sink.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crusader said:

Thailand's monster flood visible from space...really, nothing more important to put in the Nation?

I didn't know that water in flooded areas could be seen same as lakes, rivers, the ocean...
Thank you for enlighten me ! ????

1 hour ago, bluebluewater said:

You call that a flood?  That ain't no flood.  Go hunt up a picture of the flooding in Thailand in 2011.  Now that's a flood!

Yes, quite.  And what about the one in October/November 1990? Bangkok was under some 4/5 feet of water.

2 hours ago, Chassa said:

This area floods nearly every year as long as it doesn't threaten Bangkok who cares!

I think you mean Bangkok's financial district. The residential area is OK to flood. Ask my Thai friend whose family was living on their second floor.

to add some more info on the picture of AgentSmith:

- the zomerdijk is the first dike to hold the water in the river bed and is lower than the winterdijk

- the winterdijk is the second barrier for the water to  overflow the land, the water holds in the uiterwaarden but as the winter dijk is higher than the zomer dijk, the water is kept in  control

- inside the riverbed you see these kribben, semi submergers walls perpendicular on the river flow. The purpose is to decrease the river bed in dry times, such the water keeps flowing at proper speed , 1) to prevent sand deposits, =and 2) to keep the river bed deep and open for water to flow.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xonax said:

You forgot the part, where politicians buy up the surrounding land, before the developing plans have been announced.

No I intentionally left that part out, I figured those that understand will already know

10 minutes ago, jkcjag said:

You can see everything from space now, even my garden shed...just checkout Google Maps or Google Earth. It doesn’t have to be huge any more.

Your garden shed and all other high resolution images on Google Maps and Earth are a result of aerial photography, not from a satellite. 

2 hours ago, Crusader said:

Thailand's monster flood visible from space...really, nothing more important to put in the Nation?

I agree. They could show the hundreds of thousands of virtual tourists arriving at Swampy. Better yet, photos of the busloads of tourists that have yet to arrive in Pattaya.

15 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

Monkey cheeks? Apparently Thailand has yet to discover actual floodplains. Here's a Dutch example:

CEUH9M3XIAA9YUV.jpg

The floodplain is where it says "uiterwaarden" (which sort of means designated areas in which a river can expand into). It's an area usually covered in grass for cows or it's 'nature' left alone. When the water level rises the water first expands into the floodplain before it floods anything else. Of course there are floodplains all along the riverbanks.

Because periods of drought are also increasing both in frequency and length the Dutch floodplains are under investigation as possible basins to retain the excess water so there's extra water in dry summers keeping the water level in the river above a certain minimum. I'm no engineer but it will be interesting to see what solutions they come up with.

Flooding is getting exceedingly rare in The Netherlands despite rising sea level and more frequent heavy rainfall. Too bad getting the message across to the people of Thailand is a tough cookie.

So the Dutch farmer's cow pastures are the Thai farmer's monkey cheeks.

Outside of a common drought and both nation's capitals slowly sinking, apart from the Netherlands benefiting from non-monsoonal weather patterns, I fail to see any real relevance here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

I seem to remember a few years ago. the Dutch did approached the Thai government regarding the flooding of Bangkok. The Dutch were basically given the brush off with words to the effect of, We don`t need your help. And Bangkok continues to sink.

Bangkok sinks further every year. 

Geographical fact.

Sinking to an all time low presently due to mismanagement and border closure. 

3 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

You call that a flood?  That ain't no flood.  Go hunt up a picture of the flooding in Thailand in 2011.  Now that's a flood!

Indeed, 2011. Now THAT was a flood..!!

01.jpg

Edited by CockneyGit

16 hours ago, samsensam said:

flood and drought seem recurring predictable problems and little seems to be done the alleviate the problems by successive governments. maybe it's a daft idea but how about building reservoirs in areas with rain to support the drier areas? as happened in victorian times in the uk when haweswater reservoir was built in the lake district to provide water for mancheter. and how about getting dutch experts to help with flooding prevention?

Why would they do that? That would mean that they Need Help with something they don't know anything about. 

That just means Losing Face. Ain't gonna happen Bud. 

• Like 1