UK repatriation flights gone in 4 minutes?

5 hours ago, tso310 said:

Their Facebook page is busy again this morning. Over 400 posts in the 2 announcements yesterday by the embassy for Sept flights.

Repatriation Flights booking and new website into motion on a bank holiday Monday when everything is closed, inlcuding the embassy. 

Could you get anymore Thai than that?

25 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Maybe the Embassy staff need to break the query down into bite-sized chunks to fully understand the situation.  

can you imagine if tourists had to obtain/submit forms via the embassy/consulate; visa, CoE, fit to fly certificate, etc. there would be carnage.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, tso310 said:

I think it was showing 254 economy available. Only 1 seat was red when my wife got in.

I was the same, registered a couple of weeks ago and one click, likewise it only showed 1 red seat in economy, logged in bang on 0900, whole process took less than one minute.

Now waiting for instructions from embassy for payment then book hotel.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I was the same, registered a couple of weeks ago and one click, likewise it only showed 1 red seat in economy, logged in bang on 0900, whole process took less than one minute.

Now waiting for instructions from embassy for payment then book hotel.

How did you register a few weeks ago?

Registration had been closed for weeks. 

Also, do you think there is a limit of the number you can process on one registration? I was basically into the booking system at 9:01 a.m. but it wouldn't let me book everyone in my group. 

Edited by AndrewMciver

Would not a waiting list with paid deposits - not be better than the luck of the draw who can press click click the fastest?

If a thousand people had registered before me, i simply would accept the situation. What really hurst me is i have been beaten and hurt by what i believe to have been an IT glitch and literally seconds of having to go back and forth. 

• Like 2

Sounds like a technical issue booking for several people at a time and disappearance of availability in the process ( industry language for this is ghost availability).

Technically as soon as a flight search emulates a return result showing the seats as available they "should" be blocked for 15 Min but considering the run on these flights that might have played a major part here.

Sorry to hear about this.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats outrageous...  you’ve been trying to get back for a while now. Just awful. 

The only thing I can recommend is to e-mail directly again and explain your situation.

Another alternative option may be to e-mail the Thai Consulate in Frankfurt. 

Albeit over a month ago, however, I did hear that repatriation flights from Frankfurt to Thailand were quieter, i.e. there is less demand. 

I’m not sure if that is a viable option or if they will entertain the CoE application from someone in the UK - worth a try.

Thank you very much, you've been very supportive and helpful during this stressful process. 

I will email various embassies in Europe (Frankfurt, Amsterdam) to see if there is any feedback. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Would not a waiting list with paid deposits - not be better than the luck of the draw who can press click click the fastest?

Having spent a bit of time looking at comments on their Facebook page from months ago it was obvious that the situation as you describe was and still is simply a terrible way of doing things. I've seen comments by people who have been unable to book over multiple months. A FIFO list should have been implemented. This would have been fairer. I suspect they felt this would be to time consuming to for the embassy to manage. 

I keep thinking back to how the Germans repatriated 30,000 from NZ in April. I commented about that back then on TV. Most of the Lufthansa flights used Phuket and Bangkok for refuelling.

36 minutes ago, bkkniko said:

Can't you book business class on such flights?

There are only 5 seats available. The flight has to carry 2 crews, outbound and inbound, as no one stays in the UK. They use the business class seats. The A350 has 32 business class and 289 economy class seats.

9 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

How did you register a few weeks ago?

Registration had been closed for weeks. 

Also, do you think there is a limit of the number you can process on one registration? I was basically into the booking system at 9:01 a.m. but it wouldn't let me book everyone in my group. 

I went to the same page and clicked on the register tab and went through the process, there was not much to it. This was the 1st week in Aug ( flights already full ).

No idea if there would be a limit, i'm pretty sure when i registered it asked if i was travelling alone.

9 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

If a thousand people had registered before me, i simply would accept the situation. What really hurst me is i have been beaten and hurt by what i believe to have been an IT glitch and literally seconds of having to go back and forth. 

Waiting list would have sure made the most sense IMO too.

My fried who went through the process for August 9th flight said the same things happened then when it opened, website crashed due to overload of traffic, he managed to get lucky and get a seat.

What surprises me is i've been offered a seat and they've not even checked my documents yet to make sure i meet the criteria......If they had a waiting list this is one of the things they could have used the time to do the checking, all very haphazard really.

On 8/31/2020 at 4:27 PM, AndrewMciver said:

HAS TO BE.

I was on the flight booking screen at 9:01am - i had everything copied and pasted into the registration. 

I had the flights clicked. It just wouldn't let me proceed - with the damn error message saying not everyone in my party was registered. 

Utter nonsense. I know i am being a bit over emotional here, but i am beyond devastated. 

I was led up the wrong path, error messages that aren't making sense, and flights sold out in 3 minutes. Just beyond devastation. 

I can only imagine your frustration.

there are 3 flights from Addis in sept. Yes, it’s not straight forward, but few of us did ‘the triple jump’ last month and made it to Thailand.

11 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Thank you very much, you've been very supportive and helpful during this stressful process. 

I will email various embassies in Europe (Frankfurt, Amsterdam) to see if there is any feedback. 

Germany already has a list of people longer than a full roll of toilet paper to get on these flights. Don't waste your time!

New flight dates have just been added for BKK-XXX so there will be new dates for the returns as well:

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/book/offers/special_offers/special_flights.page

Edited by FlyingThai

Sorry about your understandable frustration. This is why I made an early decision not to bother trying to return until at least January next year . Potentially they are feeling the pain of a destroyed high season and resultant unrest to reconsider their high handed stance. 

26 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Germany already has a list of people longer than a full roll of toilet paper to get on these flights. Don't waste your time!

New flight dates have just been added for BKK-XXX so there will be new dates for the returns as well:

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/book/offers/special_offers/special_flights.page

Looking at that link, only likely to be 3 flights LHR-BKK in October too. Shocking. 

I flew Chicago-Seoul-Bangkok arriving 31 August. The flight from Chicago to Seoul was pretty empty. I had the entire middle row to myself. Mostly Koreans and Americans and a smattering of Thais or Thai-Americans in my estimation. I couldn't get over the amount of Americans bringing their dogs to Thailand. With all the documents required you'd think it'd be too troublesome. I asked a falang traveling with his family and pet dog: No, the dog did not need to get a covid test. I was able to get some kip on the flight despite the babies crying an dogs barking. However the flight from Incheon to Suvarnabhumi was packed.

Persistence defeats resistance. If I could accomplish the world's greatest scavenger hunt then you can too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leicesterguyuk said:

Let me get this right, the dogs were allowed in the cabin?! Or you could hear them in the cabin from the hold? 

Our elder daughter and her husband moved to Shanghai last year. Took their dog with them from LHR to PVG via FRA on Lufthansa. Small dogs are allowed in the cabin as long as they are in a portable kennel. Quite common on a number of flights between Europe and Asia.

6 minutes ago, tso310 said:

Our elder daughter and her husband moved to Shanghai last year. Took their dog with them from LHR to PVG via FRA on Lufthansa. Small dogs are allowed in the cabin as long as they are in a portable kennel. Quite common on a number of flights between Europe and Asia.

Ah, I don't think I've ever seen that ever. I'm not sure what would be worse, a crying baby or a yapping dog. 

1 hour ago, noserious said:

I flew Chicago-Seoul-Bangkok arriving 31 August. The flight from Chicago to Seoul was pretty empty. I had the entire middle row to myself. Mostly Koreans and Americans and a smattering of Thais or Thai-Americans in my estimation. I couldn't get over the amount of Americans bringing their dogs to Thailand. With all the documents required you'd think it'd be too troublesome. I asked a falang traveling with his family and pet dog: No, the dog did not need to get a covid test. I was able to get some kip on the flight despite the babies crying an dogs barking. However the flight from Incheon to Suvarnabhumi was packed.

Persistence defeats resistance. If I could accomplish the world's greatest scavenger hunt then you can too.

Was your Chicago to Seoul to Bangkok all one flight?

Or did you go to Seoul then connect?

If so, who issued your CoE?

30 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

Was your Chicago to Seoul to Bangkok all one flight?

Or did you go to Seoul then connect?

If so, who issued your CoE?

I'm not him but there's only one possible answer.

He's changed the planes/flights in Seoul pretty much as it was done during normal times with connecting flights.

On that day both flights were carrying repatriation passengers according to the schedule issued by the embassy.

He got his COE from the Thai Consulate in Chicago.

Edited by unheard