It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

On 9/25/2020 at 6:20 AM, BigStar said:

Duh. Try to keep up, sigh. Maybe check your meds? Or find a map of Pattaya. So confusing, no?

I said near the beginning of Soi Post Office. The So Nice Fun Go-Go is on Soi Yamato. Wrong soi. And it's in the middle of Soi Yamato, not the beginning. Previous to its reopening, I mentioned in some post here that it would reopen on the 18th and wished it luck.

Moreover, So Nice was never named Nevada or Las Vegas. It was initially opened as Las Vegas III. That was closed in 2016 and soon reopened as So Nice under the new management.

The new management initially kept Peter's great music playlist he'd brought over from the old Las Vegas. So far, so good. But a year or so ago they gave it up for mostly modern pablum, often played directly from youtube. It's not as bad as you'll hear at WS venues, at least, and it's kept at reasonable volume.

Tattoo Gunman, BTW, is almost across from So Nice, if you'd like to stop in. Also be sure to stop in next door to So Nice at the Wanna Break? resto. K. Wanna's a nice lady who's been struggling to stay open after her Brit hubby died 5 years ago. English brekkie, mate, only B95.

Next.

The "new management", of "So Nice" is Ying.

She features in this video,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=174&v=KkFTgiIYeZo&feature=emb_logo

She is Peter's ex-wife.

I know both (and many of the staff) personally and I cannot write what I think about her in a public forum - 'nuff said

MODS: IS this VDO OK, if it breaks forum rules, sorry in advance!

Edited by VBF

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but I hope the speed boats go out of business permanently. They ruin any hope of a nice day out on Larn coming and going frequently, and they destroyed the pleasant walkway to the lighthouse by parking on the walkway itself.

Pattaya will be far, far better off without them.

Don't see what that has to do with Thai's optimism that everything will be better in a few months.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

What a disaster this was...completely new multi-story beer bar plaza (with airplane attached) not even open a year. Somebody or group really took it in the shorts!

Was it not, primarily, ladyboy bars?

5 minutes ago, johng said:

Soi VC and Yen Sabai  area almost everything closed.P_20201029_100626.thumb.jpg.0935339554822bbf12455927d7fbddb6.jpg

P_20201029_100717.thumb.jpg.d8a3136117e118cf09ba142a10fbf6b1.jpg

Yes the stretch of Second Road from the school to the overpass (behind Walking Street)  is completely devastated...the McDonald's and a 7-Eleven are about the only businesses still open.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

What a disaster this was...completely new multi-story beer bar plaza (with airplane attached) not even open a year. Somebody or group really took it in the shorts!

Is it just me or is there some wilful ignoring of the facts going on?

All those closed venues depended on x number of people going through the doors. Soon as x becomes 0 they have no option but closure, and no amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth is going to change that an iota.

I could mention things- like how they operated on the belief that the good times of the 90s would return, without any, IMO, reality that it would. How they did nothing, IMO, to make Pattaya a more desirable destination. How the infrastructure was disintegrating and nothing done to fix things. How money that should have been used to improve the general situation was wasted on stupid projects that should never have been started, like the Bali Hi carpark that destroyed the only nice park in the town area. How nothing was done about the dreadful traffic. How the water situation was allowed to get so bad. How Larn became a rubbish dump. How scammers were allowed to operate with police turning a blind eye eg jet ski scam. How the cops were allowed to stop tourists for helmet fines and no Thais. How the pedestrian crossing lights were turned off. ETCETERA.

IMO, Pattaya, as it used to be, was doomed anyway, but corona just hastened the end.

I'm sure it will return in some different mode, but I can't see it being like the 90s ever again- the girls are on line now, not on bar stools.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, johng said:

Soi VC and Yen Sabai  area almost everything closed.P_20201029_100626.thumb.jpg.0935339554822bbf12455927d7fbddb6.jpg

P_20201029_100717.thumb.jpg.d8a3136117e118cf09ba142a10fbf6b1.jpg

Here's a question. Are those areas between the front of the doors and the curb part of the privately owned building or are they encroached pavements?

Would be good if any that actually know the legal situation, as opposed to having an opinion, answer.

In London it would be public pavement.

18 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

No...there are ladyboy bars named "Pook" around town but this was mainly ladygirl bars.

I only saw one that was on Buakhao not far from where I used to live, but last time I was there I'm pretty sure it had been sold and the ladyboys were nearer to LK but their bar was not called Pook.

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I thought the sign said 'Closing this week' not 'Breakfast Special'.. anyhow good news all is ok there. 

Back when I was doing visa runs to Cambodia from the Queen Vic I used to eat the included breakfast there. Not bad at all. Be a shame if that venue had to close.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Back when I was doing visa runs to Cambodia from the Queen Vic I used to eat the included breakfast there. Not bad at all. Be a shame if that venue had to close.

Pattaya visa run companies use to do a absolutely ROARING trade..There were 6-7 companies and they all had Multiple vans running 365 days a year.....They were raking in the money...But as the the visas tightened more every year the visa run companies got to be fewer and fewer.... Now I guess all those vans are just parked somewhere collecting rust......   

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Here's a question. Are those areas between the front of the doors and the curb part of the privately owned building or are they encroached pavements?

Would be good if any that actually know the legal situation, as opposed to having an opinion, answer.

In London it would be public pavement.

Bit hard to tell in that situation but the rule is behind the line of power poles, private. In front of the poles, public. Encroachment onto the walk ways has been a problem since the 90s. 555

On 9/23/2020 at 5:13 PM, BigStar said:

though unfortunately a few doors down the old British Cultural Center at Dog's Bol.locks Bar has closed,

That reminded me of a time long ago ( last century ) when I was staying across the road ( if I remember correctly at The Rising Sun hostelry and bar ). It was around New Year and everything was buzzing. Unfortunately the British manager ?owner of the Rising Sun took it in his mind to drag one of his British business partners into the street and to give him a severe beating. The Dog's Bol****s came into play when the patrons of said establishment came out to encourage the beating, despite knowing nothing for the cause of the assault, or who was in the wrong. They obviously just liked a bit of ultra violence for whatever reason.

Given I liked the assaulted and thought the assaulter was a bit of a ****** I wasn't impressed, and shortly after moved out. The manager was married to a Thai woman and she wasn't impressed either.

I did return to Pattaya the following year and noted that the assaulter was no longer manager/ ?owner.

Just another tale from Pattaya, Fun city for big boys.

PS It was around New Year and everything was buzzing.

It's been a long while since Pattaya came close to those happy times. Sad indeed for us that knew Pattaya back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, polpott said:

Bali Hi park which was out of the way and most tourists weren't even aware of it, was turned into a boat park which removed the speedboats from beach road and the resultant lines of coaches picking up and dropping off Chinese tourists.

Bali Hi park which was out of the way and most tourists weren't even aware of it, was turned into a boat park

LOL

The park was where THAIS went and the boat park wasn't built on it. The car park building was built on it.

which removed the speedboats from beach road and the resultant lines of coaches picking up and dropping off Chinese tourists.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Yes, the speedboats used to be pulled along Beach Rd to be launched on the beach, but that stopped long before the Chinese became a significant presence in Pattaya. They were parked up under the flyover and launched at Bali Hi. There weren't that many of them back then and most travel was on the big boats that used to be moored in the bay. Compared to the 90s there are hardly any big boats in the bay now.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The car park building was built on it.

True and what a great facility that is. Love the way the cars are automatically delivered to their parking spaces. Very 21st century, definitely not 90s.

• Haha 1