It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Back when I was doing visa runs to Cambodia from the Queen Vic I used to eat the included breakfast there. Not bad at all. Be a shame if that venue had to close.

I did that myself a few times, although there were some frightening ghouls hanging about nearby  so very very early in the morning.....

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

True and what a great facility that is. Love the way the cars are automatically delivered to their parking spaces. Very 21st century, definitely not 90s.

Yes the high-tech parking garage goes very well with the crumbling piers and derelict Pattaya One tower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I only saw one that was on Buakhao not far from where I used to live, but last time I was there I'm pretty sure it had been sold and the ladyboys were nearer to LK but their bar was not called Pook.

They've always had a Pook ladyboy bar on Soi 6 as well (which is still up and running even now). The long-running  Bua Khow locations closed up a few years ago and converted to a resto/guesthouse, which I don't think was ever very successful. I believe it may be closed because of Covid now. The other ladyboy bars nearby are Fantasy Lounge and Nid-Cha directly opposite the entry to Soi LK Metro. 

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

They've always had a Pook ladyboy bar on Soi 6 as well (which is still up and running even now). The long-running  Bua Khow locations closed up a few years ago and converted to a resto/guesthouse, which I don't think was ever very successful. I believe it may be closed because of Covid now. The other ladyboy bars nearby are Fantasy Lounge and Nid-Cha directly opposite the entry to Soi LK Metro. 

Thanks for that. I never noticed the name in Soi 6. I was more interested in the cute ( real ) girls, though I didn't like the way it operated with them all outside so never partook there. I used the dentist nearby on Second Rd so used it as a thoroughfare  to Beach Rd after.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

I don't care if it is the most fantastic car park in the world....It was built on Pattayas ONE AND ONLY convenient park.....This was criminal....A very nasty nasty thing to do...... 

Yes I'm pretty sure the bribes and kickbacks paid to construct an expensive overly complicated automated parking garage were criminal.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I don't care if it is the most fantastic car park in the world....It was built on Pattayas ONE AND ONLY convenient park.....This was criminal....A very nasty nasty thing to do...... 

How about the park behind the fish market in Naklua? Decent.

We are talking about tourists in this thread. How many tourists went to the park at Bali Hi?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Here's a question. Are those areas between the front of the doors and the curb part of the privately owned building or are they encroached pavements?

They certainly expanded the "shop fronts"  about a cars width  right up to the gutters.

some photos from 2003

bright_Dscf0018.thumb.jpg.85e707727354c170cc69551581109ba4.jpg

Dscf0020.thumb.jpg.06d219c14a01687fed71d8dfaa0e56ca.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johng said:

They certainly expanded the "shop fronts"  about a cars width  right up to the gutters.

some photos from 2003

bright_Dscf0018.thumb.jpg.85e707727354c170cc69551581109ba4.jpg

Dscf0020.thumb.jpg.06d219c14a01687fed71d8dfaa0e56ca.jpg

Thanks, but I want to know if the area between the gutter and the building is public or private land. I reckon it's public land as the building upper level doesn't extend over that area like it does in old Singapore.

IMO it's encroached public land.

In the lower photo the ground has been sealed like the road. The council wouldn't seal private land.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks, but I want to know if the area between the gutter and the building is public or private land. I reckon it's public land as the building upper level doesn't extend over that area like it does in old Singapore.

Believe it or not...the PARKING space in the roads in front of businesses is public and available for anyone to use; but you'd never know this from all the signs and placeholders around town. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In the lower photo the ground has been sealed like the road. The council wouldn't seal private land.

It depends on what is shown on the Chanote .

Wife has one shop which has a 2.5m space between shop and road. Chanote shows that 1.5m is hers and 1.0m is a public pavement (sidewalk). Therefore she can legally put items on the 1.5m that is hers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, polpott said:

How about the park behind the fish market in Naklua? Decent.

We are talking about tourists in this thread. How many tourists went to the park at Bali Hi?

They want to build a car park there too. I feel sorry for Thai kids. No wonder they are so fat with no places to play. They may get nice car parks but will pay for it later controlling a diabetes and weight related epidemic.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

They want to build a car park there too. I feel sorry for Thai kids. No wonder they are so fat with no places to play. They may get nice car parks but will pay for it later controlling a diabetes and weight related epidemic.

In progress. Doesn't look like it will impinge on the park much. May be an asset as parking was always a pain there.

Big childrens play area and Takraw arena. The food couldn't be more healthy. Fresh cooked seafood.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, polpott said:

In progress. Doesn't look like it will impinge on the park much. May be an asset as parking was always a pain there.

Big childrens play area and Takraw arena. The food couldn't be more healthy. Fresh cooked seafood.

I understood it is in the section furthest from the market with the palm trees and  near the children's play area. It is sad they need to dig that up. In the Soi at right angles where the 7/11 Is, there is a large area with a stinking rubbish dump there. To me, more enlightened town planners would put a multi story car park on the dump and have a pedestrian mall going down past the 7/ 11 and turn the car park at the seafood market into an extension of the market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I understood it is in the section furthest from the market with the palm trees and  near the children's play area. It is sad they need to dig that up. In the Soi at right angles where the 7/11 Is, there is a large area with a stinking rubbish dump there. To me, more enlightened town planners would put a multi story car park on the dump and have a pedestrian mall going down past the 7/ 11 and turn the car park at the seafood market into an extension of the market.

That would require

1/ that they cared about people more than cars

2/ that they even thought about it

3/ if there was anything in it for them

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 9:41 AM, ThaidDown said:

It depends on what is shown on the Chanote .

Wife has one shop which has a 2.5m space between shop and road. Chanote shows that 1.5m is hers and 1.0m is a public pavement (sidewalk). Therefore she can legally put items on the 1.5m that is hers.

What if her shop is 1.5m too far forward to the street?  ????

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The Covid decimation of Pattaya retail and restaurants continues unabated..

I was at the Big-CX Mall yesterday and it is quiet, but ticking over. You still have to Q at the checkouts! Seems like this is where a lot of the Expats do their weekly. Redwood above me makes that valid point, and the reality that T21 was aimed ONLY at tourists, visitors, I might even be tempted to say Asians. 

Love the fact I can get to the Mall and park my truck these days!

• Like 1

I will also add when Dairy Queen closes down the sky really is falling ...That's a horrible sign....Dairy Queens has almost zero food prep...Almost zero food spoilage.....Takes up very little space...And you can bet they pay rock bottom wages to their employees...And Dairy Queen prices are dirt cheap, and its highly popular....

So if Dairy Queen closes there is really no hope at all for any other restaurant in Terminal 21 except the food court.... 

Edited by redwood1