It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The mall zombie apocalypse of the dead and nearly dead shops also continues apace...this time at Royen Garden Mall Ground Floor...who would want to guess the carnage on the upper floors...

image.thumb.jpg.1948597a45ad270f319031150236e2b1.jpg

DQ closed

image.thumb.jpg.4dcf76b4d7b796b24acf2ca36eecd8ff.jpg

Swenden's closed

image.thumb.jpg.4e097fff4454c70fd2b113ec52d3e185.jpg

Starbucks closed

image.thumb.jpg.564d17b883561545a14f9f823769cfa3.jpg

Häagen-Dazs closed

image.thumb.jpg.5e0cba15894bfe14c11bd00c38d41e77.jpg

S&P closed.

I was upstairs a few months ago......The closings were brutal...... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The mall zombie apocalypse of the dead and nearly dead shops also continues apace...this time at Royen Garden Mall Ground Floor...who would want to guess the carnage on the upper floors...

They have not stripped out the signage though.

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

image.thumb.jpg.1948597a45ad270f319031150236e2b1.jpg

DQ closed

image.thumb.jpg.4dcf76b4d7b796b24acf2ca36eecd8ff.jpg

Swenden's closed

image.thumb.jpg.4e097fff4454c70fd2b113ec52d3e185.jpg

Starbucks closed

image.thumb.jpg.564d17b883561545a14f9f823769cfa3.jpg

Häagen-Dazs closed

image.thumb.jpg.5e0cba15894bfe14c11bd00c38d41e77.jpg

S&P closed.

That Häagen-Dazs wants closing down the prices they charge, obscene 

40 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I was in Harbour Mall yesterday. It was always quiet but another zombie zone now. Why do they keep them open?

Well logic says business can not pay out more money than they take in for any extended length of time....

So my guess is to keep Harbor Mall from being completely void of businesses they must be dropping rents to ridiculously cheap levels....I bet some rents are under 10Gs a month, heck maybe a lot less than 10G.....     

23 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Well logic says business can not pay out more money than they take in for any extended length of time....

So my guess is to keep Harbor Mall from being completely void of businesses they must be dropping rents to ridiculously cheap levels....I bet some rents are under 10Gs a month, heck maybe a lot less than 10G.....     

A few times I was near there on weekends and there seemed a few Thais around going there. They would get off the Sukumvit Rd songtaew looking lost and then see the sign and start walking. Am not sure if they still have a special train from BKK on weekends but I thought they would catch it down in the morning, go shopping there as is close to the station, then back for the evening train.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:43 PM, redwood1 said:

The service help is paid so little it don't matter if it's open. Same reason shop owners sit there all day with no customers.

I lived by Harbor Mall before Covid and it was empty even then. Everyone just went to the Big C instead.

I sat at Harbor Mall in a farang chicken place and it took them a half hour to make a drumstick and salad meal. Weird place. It's kid oriented and got some weird stares being a solo male walking around there.

Thai believe that empty places like these have ghosts, and they won't shop there if it's empty or there are only a few customers.

Edited by DerbyDan

1 hour ago, DerbyDan said:

The service help is paid so little it don't matter if it's open. Same reason shop owners sit there all day with no customers.

I lived by Harbor Mall before Covid and it was empty even then. Everyone just went to the Big C instead.

I sat at Harbor Mall in a farang chicken place and it took them a half hour to make a drumstick and salad meal. Weird place. It's kid oriented and got some weird stares being a solo male walking around there.

Thai believe that empty places like these have ghosts, and they won't shop there if it's empty or there are only a few customers.

real reason is nothing to go there for unless you have kids by the sound of it

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

real reason is nothing to go there for unless you have kids by the sound of it

If you need a phone cable or power chord or some bit of stuff, dead easy place to nip into (well for me) as I make my way out of town to go home (towards Sukhumvit). There are (or were) a couple of sell everything electrical/ electronic type places... you don't find in my other go to place, Big-CX. Other than that it seems so sad to invest so much on a failure. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

If you need a phone cable or power chord or some bit of stuff, dead easy place to nip into (well for me) as I make my way out of town to go home (towards Sukhumvit). There are (or were) a couple of sell everything electrical/ electronic type places... you don't find in my other go to place, Big-CX. Other than that it seems so sad to invest so much on a failure. 

It's a bitch of a place to turn right out of

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, hence on the way home not into town....

I've never had a problem left or right...granted left is easier as you're not crossing traffic but either way isn't a problem. And this was pre-Covid era...now it's a waltze either way.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I've never had a problem left or right...granted left is easier as you're not crossing traffic but either way isn't a problem. And this was pre-Covid era...now it's a waltze either way.

Well I have usually just left Sukhumvit southbound and am part of a lot of impatient traffic that was at the lights a good spell and pulling to a halt in the centre of the road makes the hairs on my neck stand on end.  (Usually on my bike). I tend to avoid stuff like that, as driving standards are poor here. I once saw someone  miss death by inches close to there turning right as it was clear of oncoming... a racing pickup was overtaking all on the wrong side of Klang. 

21 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

car or motorbike? certainly with a motorbike I can't turn right easily with pickups flying up the road

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well I have usually just left Sukhumvit southbound and am part of a lot of impatient traffic that was at the lights a good spell and pulling to a halt in the centre of the road makes the hairs on my neck stand on end.  (Usually on my bike). I tend to avoid stuff like that, as driving standards are poor here. I once saw someone  miss death by inches close to there turning right as it was clear of oncoming... a racing pickup was overtaking all on the wrong side of Klang. 

Maybe I should add my ride is an Accord sedan...I never ride motorbikes in Thailand. As you say, getting rear-ended while on a bike might not end so well.