Tick bites can be deadly, doctor warns

webfact

Tick bites can be deadly, doctor warns

By THE NATION

800_c41bd0ffa55b5a5.jpg?v=1599055006

Bites from the tiny insects known as ticks can cause paralysis and death in human beings, an expert warned today.

Responding to the case of a girl who was found with ticks in her ears, Dr Mingkwan Wichaidit, director of the Institute of Dermatology, said the problem can be tackled by using tweezers to remove the insects and then applying a topical medicine to treat the inflamed bites.

However, in some cases, people can be paralysed after suffering tick bites, she said.

Paralysis can occur four to six days after being bitten, but the victim usually recovers after the ticks are removed from their skin, Dr Mingkwan explained.

In severe cases, however, the condition can lead to respiratory failure and death.

The illness is caused by a neurotoxin in the tick's saliva.

Because the toxin lies in the tick's salivary glands, care must be taken to remove the whole tick – including the head – or symptoms may persist.

Thai ticks also carry Lyme disease, another condition that can be fatal to humans.

In the case of the girl, her school contacted doctors to have the ticks safely removed from her ears and head, said Dr Somsak Akksilp, Department of Medical Services’ director general.

He added that most people who are bitten by ticks will feel no pain, since the insect’s saliva also contains a substance that numbs the skin.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393928

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-03

3 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Did not know here have tick also! In Finland many has get Lyme disease from tick bite. Terrable disease and this a holes increase every year!

Yes...same in East Coast of USA....a few of my friends have had it....terrible long lasting effects too

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Because the toxin lies in the tick's salivary glands, care must be taken to remove the whole tick – including the head – or symptoms may persist.

oh my god, such IGNORANCE

the tick is carrier of parasites, injected into your bloodstream as they feed blood from you

Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and rarely, Borrelia mayonii. It is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected blacklegged ticks.

6 hours ago, tonray said:

Yes...same in East Coast of USA....a few of my friends have had it....terrible long lasting effects too

not many people know that those ticks infected all USA, because they caught DEER in the east, transported them all over the country, the ticks fell of during tranport to the west and this is why LYME is now everywhere in USA

playing in "the woods" is a dangerous thing, specially with DEER around = carrier of the thicks

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Did not know here have tick also! In Finland many has get Lyme disease from tick bite. Terrable disease and this a holes increase every year!

Don't tell that anyone in Thailand!!! They will panic again and keep the borders closed for another decade!

• Haha 2

Tick-Borne Encephalitis

Tick-borne encephalitis is a viral infection (flavivirus) of the brain and as the name indicates is spread by ticks.

For this they have a vaccine.

For lyme they had a vaccine unfortunately the two us based companies not made enough revenue so stopped the production I the story.

Now european labs are developing a new vaccine which would be available soon

Lyme not always shows marker on infected people so it is wise to have the anti biotics cure of one time orally taken  medicine just to be sure.

On 9/3/2020 at 1:40 PM, Bender Rodriguez said:

not many people know that those ticks infected all USA, because they caught DEER in the east, transported them all over the country, the ticks fell of during tranport to the west and this is why LYME is now everywhere in USA

playing in "the woods" is a dangerous thing, specially with DEER around = carrier of the thicks

Undue panic. I hunted for 45 years in many states, and shot around 100 deer, and never had but a few ticks get on me from handling the deer. You check yourself when you take a shower, and remove them, as a tick takes quite awhile to start biting. If you see a bullseye spot on your skin, you have Lyme disease, and it can be treated by antibiotics. Likewise, while hunting, I laid on the ground and sat in trees all day long, and rarely had ticks on me except when I hunted in Texas, where deer season is usually warm. I have never seen more ticks in my life than I have here, and i have owned pets all of my life also.

Edited by fredwiggy