Thai insurance companies offering Covid-19 coverage as foreign tourists prepare to return

webfact

20 hours ago, Mick501 said:

I got that policy too.  50000b if you are diagnosed, and 500000 if you are in a coma.   Still plenty of out of pocket expenses, but slightly offset for a relatively small price.

Right.

But the point is: Your policy is not enough to grant you access to Thailand, if you was currently waiting to get back in.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

It is not as straightforward as that. Travel insurance, including annual policies, are invariably limited in time per trip. Not much use to anyone coming for any length of time, and despite what people seem to think the government are not talking about "tourists", very few go on holiday for a "minimum of 30 days".

Medical insurance would be a different ball game.

True there are always variations in requirements. However, for genuine tourists, like me, my trips have nearly always been for between 30 and 120 days once or twice a year. (Was self-employed, now retired) I would never fly from UK to Thailand for a 2 week trip, unlike when I worked in the ME when we used to "pop over" for a few days.

My current Nationwide insurance, to which I linked above, (#83) allows for standard 60 days out of UK per trip, with an endorsement for a further 30, giving total 90 days coverage per trip.

So i could use it to travel for a 2 weeks or 3 months trip.  And it, of course, is not the only available policy.

Now if you mean that at present the minimum to Thailand is 2 weeks quarantine followed by one's planned trip then I see what you mean but, my posts are making the assumption that no genuine tourist is stupid enough to travel until the quarantine requirement is no more! I really think that the only people who will do that are those who effectively live in Thailand, whether working, retired and/or married to Thais.

They are not tourists and this thread is Irrelevant to them.  

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Post office UK you can only get med cover of 10,000 pounds= 410,000 Bart cost 500 pounds. just saying

For goodness sake, if you're going to post please get your facts right!

From the PO policy to which I linked above:     (#83)

"Emergency Medical and Additional Expenses £2,000,000" And that's the Economy package - the others are better.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/pdf/travel-insurance-policy-wording-03-11.pdf

Edited by VBF

12 hours ago, dieter1 said:

feels good to see, that some countries (their governments) are having a realistic view/approach :

Cyprus has promised to cover the costs of tourists who fall ill with COVID-19 while visiting.

Authorities of the Eastern Mediterranean island have said they will pay for any accommodation, food, and medicine used by patients and their families should any tourist test positive for the virus.

Here are other alternatives to Thailand:

https://www.insider.com/all-places-offering-discounts-freebies-incentives-entice-tourists-post-coronavirus-2020-6

because its "post-coronavirus " time  ! there is no virus (mostly) anymore

Please forward to TAT Minister.

On 9/3/2020 at 3:18 PM, paulikens said:

why would you get insurance from thailand? just get it from ya home country 

There will probably be some " lock-in " that only Policies issued by Thai Insurance Companies will be valid.

Policies from other Countries will certainly be better value for money, but whether they will be cheaper is anybodies guess.

One thing that springs to mind is the credibility of a Thai policy when, and if, a payment has to be made to the claimant. 

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VBF said:

True there are always variations in requirements. However, for genuine tourists, like me, my trips have nearly always been for between 30 and 120 days once or twice a year. (Was self-employed, now retired) I would never fly from UK to Thailand for a 2 week trip, unlike when I worked in the ME when we used to "pop over" for a few days.

My current Nationwide insurance, to which I linked above, (#83) allows for standard 60 days out of UK per trip, with an endorsement for a further 30, giving total 90 days coverage per trip.

So i could use it to travel for a 2 weeks or 3 months trip.  And it, of course, is not the only available policy.

Now if you mean that at present the minimum to Thailand is 2 weeks quarantine followed by one's planned trip then I see what you mean but, my posts are making the assumption that no genuine tourist is stupid enough to travel until the quarantine requirement is no more! I really think that the only people who will do that are those who effectively live in Thailand, whether working, retired and/or married to Thais.

They are not tourists and this thread is Irrelevant to them.  

I had annual policies for many years and the best I ever found was 90 days/trip.

I am not meaning anything. One of the requirements under the so called Phuket model is that visitors must remain in Thailand for a minimum of 30 days.

One of the problems is that the government use the word "tourist" in the loosest context and it gets misconstrued, quite often interchanged with the word "visitor", exactly what the thread is about.

The plan, as it stands, is targeted at people coming for several months, hence the talk of a new 9 month visa.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I had annual policies for many years and the best I ever found was 90 days/trip.

I am not meaning anything. One of the requirements under the so called Phuket model is that visitors must remain in Thailand for a minimum of 30 days.

One of the problems is that the government use the word "tourist" in the loosest context and it gets misconstrued, quite often interchanged with the word "visitor", exactly what the thread is about.

The plan, as it stands, is targeted at people coming for several months, hence the talk of a new 9 month visa.

I get that - i was interpreting "Tourist" strictly to mean someone on a Tourist Visa (or 30 day exempt, when available).

Your reply does exactly illustrate a point I make elsewhere, that the Thai laws are written and interpreted  ambiguously  and variously!

It could be said that a tourist is always a visitor, but a visitor is not always a tourist. And there I go....muddying  the waters even more! ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

Right.

But the point is: Your policy is not enough to grant you access to Thailand, if you was currently waiting to get back in.

Yeah, it's about 2% of the $100000 cover they are asking from visitors.  Apparently locally based patients can be treated for a fraction of the price.

4 hours ago, VBF said:

"Emergency Medical and Additional Expenses £2,000,000" And that's the Economy package - the others are better.

What the Thais call 'emergency medical' and what your insurance company calls 'emergency medical' will almost certainly be very different when it comes to COVID.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 9:36 AM, dcsw53 said:

Thai Visa - Can we have some consistency please. On the same page as this article is one from Gen Prayut. Tourists NOT welcome.

Nuff said .

Foreign tourists not welcome , anymore ..

Just keep sending the money . 

Time is a great healer ..

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, VBF said:

I get that - i was interpreting "Tourist" strictly to mean someone on a Tourist Visa (or 30 day exempt, when available).

Your reply does exactly illustrate a point I make elsewhere, that the Thai laws are written and interpreted  ambiguously  and variously!

It could be said that a tourist is always a visitor, but a visitor is not always a tourist. And there I go....muddying  the waters even more! ????

The waters are already muddied, and you are quite right in what you say. I don't know the Thai language so I don't know what the original word means. What I do know is that translation software can push out an alternative word for the same original and the problem on this forum is that many take the translation as literal, resulting in misinterpretation.

Going back to your original sentence, I suspect the "Phuket Model" will be in the rear view mirror before Tourist Visa and Visa Exempt come back into play.

• Thanks 1

They just can't help themselves,  they need tourists to come back and spend money but for some reason they think people will hand over 20/30 or 40,000baht for a ridiculous money grab, if you are required to quarantine for 2 weeks and don't have covid your free to travel, they are kidding themselves if they think tourists are waiting to flock back to Thailand with there stupidity.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

What the Thais call 'emergency medical' and what your insurance company calls 'emergency medical' will almost certainly be very different when it comes to COVID.

Their interpretation of the phrase doesn't matter - the fact that the cover is there if one gets CV is all that should matter.

However....TIT ????

On 9/3/2020 at 4:20 PM, elliss said:

The bottom line is when sex tourists , dont visit Thailand , any more ..

Essan , and it's poor people , will suffer ..

No more , White Buffaloes . Buy house , etc ...

Man thats so wrong on so many levels. 

• Confused 2

Just now, johncat1 said:

I took this policy out 6 months ago.  But 2 of the conditions are

1. You are not covered for the first 14 days after you have taken out and paid for your policy

2. You have to be resident in Thailand at the time and the coverage is only for Thailand.

It is the same rate whether you are Thai or a foreigner

There is no age related premium. 

https://www.roojai.com/en/covid/

Perhaps I missed something in this long thread.  It seems you cannot get the insurance until you have a CoE.  I understood you needed insurance to get a CoE. If I am right how does that work.

For those talking about overseas  insurance, who is going to check that the policy meets Thailand's requirements?  I cannot see an IO or even embassy staff, going through several pages in German, French, Swedish etc to see if the policy meets requirements. So you are stuck with a Thai company?

It seems Thailand's requirements and application are not in touch with reality, but those who want to enter Thailand are going to have to navigate through them somehow.  

Edited by CRUNCHER

Personally I think after the virus is under control the insurance will not end. This is a good starting point for these companies to get a foot hold. As an ex-expat from Thailand I am so glad I left.. What a mess.

Edited by garyk

• 2 weeks later...