Coronavirus: How long can Thailand survive without foreign tourism?

webfact

You're going to see it one way or another.

Tourism will not return this year or next.  The only if factor is when the vaccine gets approved, then how fast can it be distributed to the planet.  

The second part is the hard part.  IT is going to be a long long long time.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The poor were never prosperous, farmers won't care if there are no Germans ,Brits or Swedes in Phuket. I've never seen a tourist in my neck of the woods, kids still spin around to look at me and toddlers start crying if I smile at them, it's my teeth.

thats the only good thing about the mask,

i dont have to show my teeth

• Haha 1

Sure, tourism has suffered from Wuhan-19.  But someday it will return.  We rarely hear about the plight of Thai exporters—an even bigger piece of the economy.  The Chinese virus doesn’t bother them so much as an overpriced Baht.  The exporters all want and need a USD much higher to the Baht.

10 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Many Thais having lost their jobs have come back to our village where they have family.

I can tell you that none of them is depressed or suicidal. 

One of them is working for us, part time, and is in no hurry to go back to his previous job in Bangkok. 

We were talking to another one yesterday evening and he said that he was thinking to go back looking for a job... after new year. 

It is amazing how many of the Isaan villagers who have left for a job in the big city still have an aptitude to fall back on their feet by returning to a hunter gatherer way of life... which is exactly what they do in our village (fishing + a few leaves and herbs + rice obviously). 

Why did they leave in the first place?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Something called "Thailand" is very likely to survive for a good while yet.

But, together with other ongoing/emerging tensions, this particular bit of economic collapse may help provoke/stimulate other developments in society.

Russia has "survived" for hundreds of years.

I would not have wanted to be on most of the ride that took it from Russia to Soviet Union, and back again.

France has survived a lot longer.......and it had very interesting times in the late 18th century.

Edited by Enoon
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I am sure Thailand could "survive" without foreign tourism. 

But hopefully foreign tourism will be reborn from ist ashes more decently upmarket. So let it burn for a while.

That the only domestic COVID case in 100 days has been found in Khaosan road bar looks like an amazing opportunity for further cleansing.

What planet are you from, the Country is in dier financial trouble now, thousands upon thousands of Thai people are loosing there jobs daily, the reports state tourist account for 20% of GDP, which is not a true figure, what isn't included is all the money given to bar workers, familys, etc, etc, the Country will survive, not sure about the population.... 

• Like 2

Thailand will come back ..... Khun Prayut will make sure it is revived back to the pre-covid days.

Maybe it will take 6 months or 6 yrs,  it depends on how soon an approved vaccine is available and how soon all quarantines are removed. 

For now, folks will have to work harder as there are no tourists to rip off so it's either back in the rice field or starve. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Many Thais having lost their jobs have come back to our village where they have family.

I can tell you that none of them is depressed or suicidal. 

One of them is working for us, part time, and is in no hurry to go back to his previous job in Bangkok. 

We were talking to another one yesterday evening and he said that he was thinking to go back looking for a job... after new year. 

It is amazing how many of the Isaan villagers who have left for a job in the big city still have an aptitude to fall back on their feet by returning to a hunter gatherer way of life... which is exactly what they do in our village (fishing + a few leaves and herbs + rice obviously). 

Not a "hunter gatherer" way of life, sorry. Their current situation would be better classified as a sort of neolithic (growing with domestic animals and fishing), maybe iron age but with motor vehicle and computer technology.

A strange mix, really, but TiT and similar to other "income-trapped" countries. ????

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Ive always said that, it's about survival and Thai's will survive better than any farang

Maybe so...as long as they stop zipping around the roads on motorbike and electric scooters. Then again there is thing about their general levels of education (not wanting to completely open Pandora's Box [Wiki link] on Thai issues).

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow, just so Hi-So of you and of course very royally said by you Sir, of course full of baloney you are in that respect.

Why ???   Thailand will bounce back .... as soon as a vaccine is found and quarantine's removed.

What part of that don't you understand  ?

• Haha 1

This weekend is fairly busy where I live from yesterday afternoon more traffic even at 7-30 pm the roads where busy my wife took her friends down to the seafood market she said it was busy but all Thai let see over the weekend when I go out

I know a few people from Bangkok have come to Phuket for a few days and they dont mind spending money but they dont go in the bars 

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Why ???   Thailand will bounce back .... as soon as a vaccine is found and quarantine's removed.

What part of that don't you understand  ?

Depends on the rest of the world, I spoke to some people yesterday who would love to come here but the total cost is putting them off with the covid insurance 43,000 Baht each 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Depends on the rest of the world, I spoke to some people yesterday who would love to come here but the total cost is putting them off with the covid insurance 43,000 Baht each 

yes .... I can imagine,  i think once a vaccine is approved and available, once quarantine's are removed, and any other costly restrictions such as the insurance requirement ....  only then will things ' slowly ' start to revive, and even then it won't happen over night as money is tight.

• Like 1