Cabbies call on government to be ‘fairer’

webfact

Cabbies call on government to be ‘fairer’

By THE NATION

800_1ef5b642cf37ef5.jpg?v=1599551355

More than 500 taxi drivers and related personnel gathered outside Government House on Tuesday (September 8 ) to make six demands, namely:

• The authorities drop plans to consider the amendment to Vehicle Act 1979, which will allow personal automobiles to be hired by call-taxi services.

• The life of taxi cabs be extended to 12 years from nine years.

• The authorities reconsider the Department of Land Transport’s mandate that all taxi cabs be installed with the Taxi OK GPS system, because this system is “quite useless”.

• The price of Natural Gas Vehicle (NGV) fuel be reduced, so it costs cabbies no more than Bt10 per kilometre.

• Annual interest on loans paid by cabbies should be fairer.

• Insurance policies for taxicabs should be same and as cheap as insurance for personal cars.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394179

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-08

• Haha 1

I dont get it about the price of natural gas to be reduced. I always assumed it was cheaper then normal benzine. The price of that is about 30bt a liter maybe less. You can do 10 KM on that that is about 3bt a km. Why would natural gas be more expensive. 

Also the 9 to 12 year is a bad idea as it will give us even worse cabs some of the older ones are terrible no good aircon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I dont get it about the price of natural gas to be reduced. I always assumed it was cheaper then normal benzine. The price of that is about 30bt a liter maybe less. You can do 10 KM on that that is about 3bt a km. Why would natural gas be more expensive. 

Also the 9 to 12 year is a bad idea as it will give us even worse cabs some of the older ones are terrible no good aircon.

Its the way they drive that causes excess fuel usage

• Like 1

Just now, Grumpy one said:

Its the way they drive that causes excess fuel usage

Can't be just makes no sense and you would know so too if you ever drove a car. Even if you really floor it your not going from 1 to 10 to 1 to 5.. and even then still natural gas should be cheaper then normal fuel. Sounds a lot like a mistake. People convert to natural gas to save money. 

I mean to let it cost 10 bt a km at a fuel price of 30bt (that is more then the gasoline 95) you need to do 1 liter to 3 km. To do it with natural fuel the ratio would be even lower. Just cant be logically speaking. 

Believe me i know my calculations.

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Personally I would give them <deleted> all they have been screwing everybody for 25 years that I know off

I think that is a bit unfair for Bangkok Taxis. Sure, some take the pliss and try it on. Just go to the next cab.

Now Samui, Phuket etc - a totally different ballgame. (27 years in Thailand)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robblok said:

My guess is that it's a typo and they want 10 baht per kilogram...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

I dont know what the current price is but gas is indeed sold per kg.. that would make more sense.. otherwise it absolutely makes no sense. I think its a good guess with a high probability of being right. 

5 minutes ago, robblok said:
11 minutes ago, impulse said:

I dont know what the current price is but gas is indeed sold per kg.. that would make more sense.. otherwise it absolutely makes no sense. I think its a good guess with a high probability of being right. 

Indeed... Gas is too volatile and thus 10 litres at midday has less calorific value than 10 liters at night, The Calorific value does not change by weight. 

Back on subject: Favourable fuel rates for a taxi providing a service to the city makes sense, but some of the other demand seem a little entitled. Lower interest rates on debts and the length of service of a Taxi extended from 9 years to 12 years is just asking for more unroadworthy vehicles. 

The primary issue is the first point of the Op.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

• The authorities drop plans to consider the amendment to Vehicle Act 1979, which will allow personal automobiles to be hired by call-taxi services.

The taxi’s want competition removed. The taxi lobby succeeded in getting rid of UBER and is clearly now working towards GrabCar. 

Ultimately - if taxi’s provided a better service there would be no need for Grab which is more expensive !

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... Gas is too volatile and thus 10 litres at midday has less calorific value than 10 liters at night

Gas is sold in litres, and the temperature is always the same. It is kept cold and pressurized.

Edited by dimitriv

In Bangkok I dont have a problem with taxi's apart from trying get them to to take you where you need to go, Phuket is the worst thats who they should clamp down on, some years ago from Patong to Nai Harn about 1 am 4000 Baht, no I didn't pay it I just walked away from the beach area

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Maybe in the tourist areas...but for example I live in Nonthanburi suburbs and as I currently don't have a car, need to rely on cabs or Grab. I usually use Grab from home because my semi-rural road has little taxi traffic, but always grab a cab to get home from a major roadway (Kanchanapisek). I have had nothing but great experiences with the taxi guys out here. never an issue taking me at rish hour or failing to use the meter. They are my lifeline and I appreciate it.

It is the tourist areas go to places like Hat Yai you can go all over town for about 50 Baht I dont mind giving a tip but not in Phuket where I live, even Grab here is expensive they where charging a premium rate, surcharge 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It is the tourist areas go to places like Hat Yai you can go all over town for about 50 Baht I dont mind giving a tip but not in Phuket where I live, even Grab here is expensive they where charging a premium rate, surcharge 

yeah...I get it...when in Krabi (Ao Nang) the cabbie/Tuk Tuk guys wanted 1000 baht or more to drive about 3 kilometers....ha ha....we rented a car for 3 days....worked out a lot cheaper.

15 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't think the use of kilometre is correct. It should be kilograms.

12 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Gas is sold in litres, and the temperature is always the same. It is kept cold and pressurized.

Since NGV is a type of gas lighter than the air, compression is needed to obtain a volume sufficient for combustion.  Gas compression is carried out in cubic meter unit (m3), whereas 1 m3 is approximately equivalent to 1 kilogram.  The kilogram unit is therefore used in NGV sale.

47 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:
13 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Since NGV is a type of gas lighter than the air, compression is needed to obtain a volume sufficient for combustion.  Gas compression is carried out in cubic meter unit (m3), whereas 1 m3 is approximately equivalent to 1 kilogram.  The kilogram unit is therefore used in NGV sale.

NGV is sold by the KG at the pump - currently at 15.88 baht per KG. Taxi drivers are asking for 10 baht per KG.

From 2007 to 2014 the price was capped at 8.5 baht per KG.

-----

On topic: It think its fair for the taxi drivers to ask for more favourable pricing. They provide a service to Bangkok, PTT should not be profiting massively from this. 

Other claims seem to exude a sense of entitlement. 

Edited by richard_smith237

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that is a bit unfair for Bangkok Taxis. Sure, some take the pliss and try it on. Just go to the next cab.

Now Samui, Phuket etc - a totally different ballgame. (27 years in Thailand)

Sometimes we don't have that option. Try that late at night or when it is raining.

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I drove about 500.000 km on that gas. And I always paid per litre. That was also always mentioned at the gasstation. It is good to hear that I saw this wrong all my life, and the gasstations always mentioned this wrong ????

Litres, you see?

1200px-Autogas_station.jpg

Grab sp great, i have used them many times over the years, I stay 2 km from the main road where there are no taxis only some yellow pick up trucks that I have never used, I got a car now, but yesterday the car battery was flat, so my only way to get the battery cable started was by using grab, within 5 minutes the driver showed up.

If you want convenience and don't want to be ripped off grab is the best, drivers who are bad can be reported with a single click and they will be suspended for what the reason was, they also will be suspended if they get more then 40% cancellations. I'm member of grabfood and grabcar for drivers in Thailand and I see many people are getting suspended and someone being banned for some reasons.