Special team set up to prevent suicides

webfact

Special team set up to prevent suicides

By THE NATION

800_936f50985698b52.jpg?v=1599718877

The Crime Suppression Division (CSD) and Department of Mental Health (DMH) have jointly set up a special team to monitor social-media users and see if any comments indicate they have an intention to kill themselves.

An operational system should be ready within this year to deal with suicides, which are on the rise.

CSD chief Pol Maj-General Jirapob Puridet said his officers will be cooperating with DMH and media influencers round the clock. He said as soon as CSD learns about a person who has the tendency of committing suicide, it will inform local police, who will then have this person taken to the Department of Mental Health for treatment.

Dr Kiatiboom Vongrachit, DMH director general, said last year there were some 4,419 suicides. However, he said, in the first six months of this year – since the Covid-19 outbreak – some 2,551 people had killed themselves compared to 2,092 in the first half of 2019.

The top reason for suicide was relationship problems, followed by mental illness, financial problems and alcoholism.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394307

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-10

Thailand’s suicide rate surged 22% in past six months of the COVID-19 pandemic

1599715462608@2x.jpg

ภาพจาก กรมสุขภาพจิต

Thailand’s Department of Mental Health has adopted a pro-active approach, in coordination with the Police Crime Suppression Division and social media influencers, to help people who have may self-harm after a 22% rise in the suicide rate over the past six months.

Mental Health Department Director-General Dr. Kiartipoom Wongrachit said today that the rise in the country’s suicide rate is of great concern.

2,551 suicide cases, or 3.89 in every 100,000 of the population, were reported in the first six months of the COVID-19 pandemic, compared to 2,092 cases for the same period last year.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-suicide-rate-surged-22-in-past-six-months-of-the-covid-19-pandemic/

thaipbs.jpg

A Thai friend of mine chatted with me lately and she wants to commit suicide.  No job, no money, a son to support, misery.  I am in Oz and feel the same, albeit different reasons for wanting to end it all: stranded out of Thailand 6 months living in tiny spare room out of suitcase, with huge conflict, double rent, huge losses in investment due to COVID19, uncertainty when or if I can get back as a retiree.  Dying is getting to be a more attractive option for many of us.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, aussienam said:

A Thai friend of mine chatted with me lately and she wants to commit suicide.  No job, no money, a son to support, misery.  I am in Oz and feel the same, albeit different reasons for wanting to end it all: stranded out of Thailand 6 months living in tiny spare room out of suitcase, with huge conflict, double rent, huge losses in investment due to COVID19, uncertainty when or if I can get back as a retiree.  Dying is getting to be a more attractive option for many of us.  

If you are contemplating suicide, please call the Samaritans immediately. 

https://thesamaritans.org.au/

Talk to them.

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

A stressful time where the cure is proving to be worse than the disease for many and those that imposed these restriction don't seem to realise that happy people cope much better against illness.Forcing these repressive restrictions involuntarily will test the all of us I hope you can see it as a test and do your best to survive the test dig deep and use anything you can to fight your way through.My step son joined these statistics one month ago and it's not fair for those left behind.Find a reason to succeed even if it's for the benefit of others that receive the pleasure of your company.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

SO once they know someone wants to kill themselves how do they prevent it?No use knowing if you can't prevent it!They shut down the country and destroy the economy creating an extra 500 suicides for 58 covid deaths and the best they can do is get some people to look at a screen,what a sad attempt at trying to pretend they care.

What would you suggest, open the economy, open the borders, who is going to come? Covid is a

worldwide problem all countries are suffering financially. If they don't lockdown they are blamed for high numbers of deaths (See USA, India, Brazil), if they do lockdown they are blamed for a failing economy. People will rebel and flaunt government restrictions and then blame the same government when the pandemic skyrockets, they can't win, it's catch 22. 

All the worlds economies are now based on debt, when things are on the up and GDP rises every year that's no problem but when things go tits up, like now the chickens come home to roost.

Edited by soalbundy

Just now, soalbundy said:

What would you suggest, open the economy, open the borders, who is going to come? Covid is a

worldwide problem all countries are suffering financially. If they don't lockdown they are blamed for high numbers of deaths (See USA, India, Brazil), if they do lockdown they are blamed for a failing economy. People will rebel and flaunt government restrictions and then blame the same government when the pandemic skyrockets, they can't win, it's catch 22. 

It does make  me chuckle how most seem to think the world outside of Thailand is all peachy and Prayut is keeping the borders closed on purpose to decimate the Thailand economy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aussienam said:

Come on you soft <deleted> there is help out there, there is always someone to talk to, get out and go for a walk do some exercise join some local groups go and do your neighbours gardens