Can foreigners carry big knife like Thai?

chopper23

I bought a police baton in nong khai for 100 baht...about size of mini flashlight that extended when you snap it down....carried it on my bike for soi dogs to scare em off....no..never used it on anyone or dogs....

However I was lit up on sangsom one night and spotted a tuk tuk trying to scam 2 cute chinese gals needing to go to cm airport.....I drunkenly went to assist and he pulled a big knife on me...tapping it on the metal I recall.....the gals ran off.....I having liquid courage-sangsom in me, whipped out my baton and snapped it ready to go.....it was by TP gate when the army boys were there yrs back,,,a huge spotlight blinded me and thai yelling...some army guy rushed me and nabbed my baton, the tuk tuk took off.....

So there I am...after 2am middle of street, alone and drunk, tuk tuk gone, girls gone and me and the army guy who HAS my baton..Im thinking this is it, hes gonna beat me with my own weapon!...No idea what he was saying......a cop or higher army guy showed up and eventually gave it back to me and told me to go home......so dunno...after 1 had it on me and no one took it......either way as it was 100 bt and offered me some protection....I did leave it there when i came home as all I take is a carry on bag when Im in LOS

Good bar tale to tell these days but at the time I was pretty freaked out when that army guy took it..555

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

No, but under current rules for security checks prior to flight boarding my Swiss Army knife would be confiscated.

Nothing to do with airport security.

This was on the streets somewhere, for some reason the guy was searched when they found it.

Can't recall the exact details but I remember removing the knife I used to carry in the car, just in case  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Looks like Crocodile Dundees knife.

????????????

Had that knife before Croc Dundee films. 

Not exactly the right knife for gutting sea fish but that's what I use it for, took it everywhere I  worked as well. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, robblok said:

You describe exactly what the problem is with carrying weapons. It makes people brave and take stupid risks.

Id blame the sangsom, not the baton, which isnt gonna kill anyone.....the giant hunting knife the tuk tuk guy had could have killed me. my baton was just to inflict minimal pain to run a threat off.....maybe why they gave it back to me.......I wouldnt carry a knife there.....my baton was effective at its presence or maybe pepper spray......simple defense weapons.....no one is gonna die from either of my choices.....a baseball bat would do more damage that the small thin baton I carried, and was bought as a dog deterrent on my bike.

But I certainly wasnt looking forward to a possible whooping with my OWN baton by some yelling thai army guy on empty thai streets after 2am......but I will always stand my ground when I see bad things going down as I get angry watching tuk tuks constantly trying to scam people, esp when its 2 cute china gals!   555

Besides with my liquid courage-sangsom I could have made the headlines here, made a Hansum corpse!

• Haha 1