Don’t risk an overstay: Foreigners in Thailand urged to renew ‘visas’ BEFORE 26 Sept

rooster59

18 hours ago, KhunFred said:

I've noticed the same thing. A firm in Pattaya is pushing a one year "volunteer" visa, which they claim can be used just like a retirement visa, except no proof of income needed. Very strange.

Good luck to anyone trying to cling on with those types of visas. 

Immigration sees right through these schemes and it only takes one officer to take a disliking and the rug gets pulled from under you.

I would say if you are not here properly and legally with the correct visa then it is time to consider returning home.

In fact I would extend that advice to everyone not doing 90-day reporting or on PR. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Indeed.

Is there any country that has expelled foreigners in this world "crisis" ?

Would look terrible. And remembered for sure.

But again : the late annoncements are to keep the immigration business via agents.

And the obvious point is Thailand lose a ton of money with no tourists, can not open for fear reasons (not arguing here), and foreigners already here are covid free and for most spending good money... Obvious political, image, and business wise : a kind of visa / permission to stay in country with no hassle but high fee should be annonced imo.

What other country has Police cars with facial recognition cameras mounted on the roof driving around monitoring foreigners?

Look at the kraut Rommel hats and brown uniforms and remember where you are. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What other country has Police cars with facial recognition cameras mounted on the roof driving around monitoring foreigners?

Look at the kraut Rommel hats and brown uniforms and remember where you are. 

Its quite an exaggeration to compare Thailand to Nazi Germany .

BTW, Thailand doesnt have police cars driving around monitoring foreigners 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

You made that comparison, not me.

Thanks for pointing out the similarity in the uniforms though, I am sure that is just coincidence and completely unintentional.

????

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes it does. 

Immigration has pick-ups and BMWs with facial recognition cameras mounted on the roof that monitor foreigners. 

I have seen them in Songkhla and in Chonburi and there was one in my moo baan last month.

48061364242_327771d22c_b.jpg

• Like 1

You made that comparison, not me.

Thanks for pointing out the similarity in the uniforms though, I am sure that is just coincidence and completely unintentional.

????

Why did you mention Nazi Germany then, if you werent comparing Thailand to Germany cira 1939 ?

Or did you just randomly mention they had the same colour uniforms, for no reason at all ?

Yes it does. 

Immigration has pick-ups and BMWs with facial recognition cameras mounted on the roof that monitor foreigners. 

I have seen them in Songkhla and in Chonburi and there was one in my moo baan last month.

48061364242_327771d22c_b.jpg

Yes, nearly every car has video cameras these days , but, the Police cars dont drive around monitoring foreigners  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Why did you mention Nazi Germany then, if you werent comparing Thailand to Germany cira 1939 ?

Or did you just randomly mention they had the same colour uniforms, for no reason at all ?

I didn't mention Nazi Germany, you did.

The style of hats that the Thai Police wear is called a 'Kraut Rommel.' 

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, nearly every car has video cameras these days , but, the Police cars dont drive around monitoring foreigners 

Yes they do. 

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/02/18/smart-cars-immigration-bureau-police-foreigners-arrested-mr-dan-hiding-kangaroo/

Etc.

• Confused 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

A websearch of "Kraut Rommel" brings up this photo and many other similar and not one related to the Thai Police 

Image result for kraut rommel

You are being obtuse.

It refers to the style of hat, which you can see the famous WWII General wearing in the photo. Ask your tailor, milliner or hatter.

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I didn't mention Nazi Germany, you did.

The style of hats that the Thai Police wear is called a 'Kraut Rommel.' 

Yes they do. 

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/02/18/smart-cars-immigration-bureau-police-foreigners-arrested-mr-dan-hiding-kangaroo/

Etc.

Those cars have internet connection, which means they can check peoples records online in their cars , without needing to take them back to the police station .

Its not as if the police cars drive around watching foreigners 

• Like 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

Those cars have internet connection, which means they can check peoples records online in their cars , without needing to take them back to the police station .

Its not as if the police cars drive around watching foreigners 

You are only kidding yourself on mate.

The cars belong to Immigration Police, not normal Police. They have facial recognition cameras mounted to the roof which scan all faces of all persons. They drive around and automatically identify and monitor foreigners and pick up whether they have overstay or any warrants or any other notices. 

It is similar to the systems employed in the UK to track vehicles. It is entirely automated and works all the time when the vehicle is driving around. Hundreds and thousands of faces and number plates can be automatically scanned and the software sorts and reports back to the Police in the car. 

There was a good thread on them some time ago where a poster had received a demonstration from Thai Immigration on how they work.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Just got back from Yasothon IO after getting my 30 day Embassy letter extension approved and stamped into my passport with a receipt of notification slip.I was advised to return when my money in the bank has matured the required 2 months to apply for the 1 year extension based on marriage and money in the bank.So one step closer.

DSC02061.thumb.JPG.48b0636505e69160008afe1eadcbb4fb.JPGDSC02062.thumb.JPG.9b8791f5f4aa62b9800b6c1c0949e319.JPG

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Just got back from Yasothon IO after getting my 30 day Embassy letter extension approved and stamped into my passport with a receipt of notification slip.I was advised to return when my money in the bank has matured the required 2 months to apply for the 1 year extension based on marriage and money in the bank.So one step closer.

Thanks for the report!

At Hat Yai and SriRacha the IO warned that when using an Embassy letter to apply for the special extension of stay that this would bar you from applying for a subsequent regular extension, as they considered that 'special' extension a Waiting Room extension until you would be able to leave the county.

But your report proves that it is indeed possible (at least in Yasothon) to apply for a regular extension after having made use of that 'special' extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

But, but, but, the BMW's, but, but of course you are right.  ????

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

But, but, but, the BMW's, but, but of course you are right.  ????

Here is the thread and the post detailing how they work if anyone is interested.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1143894-immigrations-bmw-smart-cars-the-latest-tool-to-rid-thailand-of-illegal-foreigners/?do=findComment&comment=14967993

8 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

Smart idea !

And what happens then on September 27th, 2021 ? 

- Endless queues in front of the immigration offices.

You can apply for your 1-year extension from 30 days before (some IOs allow 45 days) till actual due date.  But I agree that the week of 20-24 September 2021 will be an absolute mad-house at most IOs with all those whose dates have been reset, and will be applying then for a continuation of their 1-year extension of stay.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

There will be no mass exodus, people people will wait and hope something happens last minute,or else see a visa agent.

The visa agent .. so that's basically a dodgy under the table payment to corrupt immigration officials to get an extension?

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 7:05 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Immigration sees right through these schemes and it only takes one officer to take a disliking and the rug gets pulled from under you.

I would say if you are not here properly and legally with the correct visa then it is time to consider returning home.

In fact I would extend that advice to everyone not doing 90-day reporting or on PR. 

Have you an actual instance of that happening or did you just make it up? I'm guessing the latter.

Whilst the ID might see right through it, it is they who are stamping the passports. So your statement seem like your wishful thinking.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Have you an actual instance of that happening or did you just make it up? I'm guessing the latter.

Whilst the ID might see right through it, it is they who are stamping the passports. So your statement seem like your wishful thinking.

I know of a couple of instances of people being refused extensions at Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok on Education Visas, with officers requesting proof they are actually studying. One of the guys was a long termer but too young to get any other type of visa so he was dodging about on tv's and ed visas for ages. He's still here but sorted himself oput with Non-B and WP now.

Anyway... good luck to those still clinging on as they will eventually fall off the edge at some point. That much is obvs from current shenanigans.

:jap:

On 9/15/2020 at 1:05 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

What about those here properly and legally, who live here and are married to a Thai, with no other home to 'return' to but with just a 30 day TV from March? Many like me were on the verge of leaving, i.e. not needing a long-term visa for the time being due to work overseas, but couldn't due to other borders closing, then the Thai one. I'm British but haven't lived there for over 25 years. And no, not all in Thailand or even SE Asia. Income not an issue either.

4 hours ago, katatonic said:

What about those here properly and legally, who live here and are married to a Thai, with no other home to 'return' to but with just a 30 day TV from March? Many like me were on the verge of leaving, i.e. not needing a long-term visa for the time being due to work overseas, but couldn't due to other borders closing, then the Thai one. I'm British but haven't lived there for over 25 years. And no, not all in Thailand or even SE Asia. Income not an issue either.

But you married to a Thai, so you should be able to change to marriage extension (as you wrote Income not an issue).
or I am missing someting?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, katatonic said:

11 minutes ago, HampiK said:

But you married to a Thai, so you should be able to change to marriage extension (as you wrote Income not an issue).
or I am missing someting?

Not only he can apply for a 60 days extension for visiting his Thai wife, but he should also be able to apply for a non-O without leaving Thailand, according to many posts here.

YOU HAVE 6 business days to visit your IO and fix your situation!!

Edited by boredinbkk
  • Like 2

Fourth trip to Samutprakan IO today, but still no word on my application for non O and permission to stay vis marriage. The guy explained the higher ups at Chang Wattana have been busy with meetings, and simply have not gotten around to a lot of cases. Maybe they need to authorize a few more officers to sign off on these, as 26 is less than a week away.
He did say to not worry about the 26th per se, as I began the process in August.