Expat exodus under way?

a3tsw

3 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

My local coffee shop that had a really good customer base closed its doors last weekend without any notice the Thai owner must have had financial issues as it’s been cleared of everything with a big For Rent sign on  it very sad as it did a wonderful coffee.

What part of Thailand?

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Not an exodus, but a constant trickle towards the exit door. Numbers for September will be out in a couple of weeks.

All in all Thailand have a net loss of 21,762 foreigners in August 2020 and oddly enough also lost 794 Thai.

Myanmar -10,188

Laos -4,201

Chinese -2,453

Russians -1,416

British -605

French -503

Germans -453

Philippines -256

Vietnamese -202

Ukrainians -200

Indian -185

Italian -168

Swedish -121

Swiss -117

Canadians -109

Pakistani -88

Malaysian -68

Dutch -64

Belgian -62

Spanish -47

Norwegian -43

A few nationalities have actually managed to enter in increasing numbers.

Cambodian +328

South Korean +303

American +209

Taiwanese +63

Australian +44

Not a surprise that thailand lost just in the month of August 21000 departing foreigners while at the same time Cambodia gained 300 foreigners. Where did u get that data from?

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

Yet he posts a list, without source or explaining what the numbers mean.

I also very much doubt the number of US and Aussies that have entered, knowing the situation there

Huh foreigners entering ? His list only mentions about foreigners departing.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

The first 2 Thai flights to Sydney  booked out at 24,000 Bht one way, just registered my mate at his Embassy for the next 2, so yes folks are moving out, no doubt repatriating Thais on the return or those that have jumped through hoops to get back to their Thai family

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I was taking an afternoon stroll along Dongtan Beach yesterday afternoon and it struck me that there were far fewer farangs walking along there than normal. The weather was perfect for walking, lots of rain cloud around but no rain, and a strong sea breeze to keep you cool, so it wasn't the weather that was keeping people away. My immediate thought was that perhaps a lot of people who were staying here on short-term visas had finally given up with the amnesty ending and had headed back home.

My neighbour opposite, who's here on a tourist visa since March, has decided to fly back tomorrow with Qatar. He says it's because a lot of things have gone wrong for him in the last six months and he's getting fed up with Thailand, but I think he probably left it too late to get a new visa, or else the price was too high.

yes I believe money (the lack of) is the biggest de motivator to staying here, there were many here that in most countries would not of made the cut for residency..

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

Most of those on low resources would be inclined to stay put. Unless you're a boozer, living cheaply is easy in Thailand. Upping sticks to another country and going through all the rigamarole of staying in a hotel while finding a new place to live, all of that is expensive. So, while some of them may HAVE to leave for various other reasons, the cost of living here would not be the reason.

Meanwhile, people with lots of money find it far easier and more fun to make the jump to other countries. I reckon the big spenders will be the ones leaving more than any other group.

IMO I think most of big spenders will hunker down and avoid travelling altogether. It's those who had to border bounce to keep their visa active due to not having money in the first place that will end up out of here or fined/jailed/deported for overstay..

• Like 2