More foreigners to be allowed entry into Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

Who earns “quite a lot” and has a negative balance??

Also, 6 months in a Thai bank account or foreign?

Sorry, I am not an adept of name dropping ????

Joke apart, there are plenty of people who are in debts and have a comfortable earning. Playing with credit cards is quite a common game. And the funny thing is that they are the ones to most likely spend more when holidaying.

I guess it is foreign as it mentions "or equivalent" to 500,000 Baht.

That being said, that policy does not make sense as "I know of plenty of people" who do not earn that much and save their earning to spend it on their vacations...and they spend more than I do or would (that is the advantage of being on a permanent holydaying mood and situation )

2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes, and I'm glad I chose Thailand...one of the lowest Covid cases/deaths in the world and everything pretty much back to normal (if you are living here), while other countries are going back into lockdowns or never came out of them. Many major cities around the world still don't have indoor dining, which we've had for months. The issue you refer to only affects the relatively small number of Thai retirees who were outside the country when the borders closed...just bad luck for them. For us inside, however, its been fine.

Speak for yourself, some of us retirees in-country want/need to travel & need them to open up the border so we can get back in... 

Some might say we're selfish for wanting to travel, in my case I haven't seen my family for 1 year from mid-October, in the case of a friend of mine, his mum died a couple of weeks back & he couldn't go back for the funeral. 

If they're really not allowing retirees to re-enter because of a perceived risk of having a worse case of CV19 due to their age, then make it about age ... It's ridiculous to allow a 55 year old "Business Person" with 500K to enter the country but not let a 54 yr old "Retiree" with 10x that back in.

• Thanks 2

I once looked into retiring to Australia.   Margaret River area was really nice when i was there 15 years ago.     Heck,  i got 800 k  BAHT  in the bank.    So,  had a look at requirements :

OOPS  !!!      better stay here 

The two-part application fee is in excess of AUD$11,000, while you will also need to prove that you have an annual income of AUD$50,000 in rural areas and AUD$75,000 elsewhere. The Investor Retirement Visa does not lead to permanent residency in Australia.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JTXR said:

This still doesn't say anything about NonImm O and NonImm OA visa or extension holders based on retirement.  To my mind, further evidence that retirees rank pretty low.

No, they rank pretty high in Thailand. With a "retirement visa" you can get an extension of stay, and this can be extended annually. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fak119 said:

What’s wrong with that? Too many loafers here, anyway.

Whats wrong with relaxing? Who are you to judge? Not your business to judge people is it? What makes you so great. If you don't like it here you have a choice: aisle or window. lol

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

Both O and OA are under non-immigrant visa holder.

Yes, this include retirees and business owners who have at least 500k in their bank account.

Tough luck for retirees who use the monthly transfer option with bank balance below that amount.

Thats the nations' writers version. Each newspaper is carrying a different interpretation at the moment and only the nations infers retiree visa. 

I hope you are right for my own sake though, but I am very wary at the moment. I am not sure retirees of any ilk are included.

• Like 2

I think the 500K requirement is for business people and it may be that the Thai govt sees this as a way to weed out any low-level managers/business people who are not allowed to actually enter into any business deals. I mean, I could pretend to visit Thailand in order to buy up some hotels, I could even get a company (even my own!) to write me a nice document certifying me - but the authorities are looking for a way to get only the big players in. So their thinking is: if they're important people, they have a lot of money in their bank accounts. 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

.........  they must have savings of at least Bt500,000 in the past six months.

Does it actually say anywhere that the savings have to be in Thailand?  What  does "in the past six months" mean?  Should the balance in your account stay above that amount for six months (a bit like the 400k for extensions) or does it mean that you have to have saved that amount in the past six months (proving income)?  Maybe  something else I have not thought of.

15 hours ago, connda said:

Cambodia's starting to look pretty good.  Only $3000 in escrow to get you into the country.

I believe it has been reduced to $2000, and the unused amount is refundable once you have done the day 14 COVID test.

But you are subject to quarantine. Can be home quarantine if every single person on your flight tested negative on arrival, otherwise in a designated hotel at your expense.

And still not tourist visas being issued.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

So is the half a million in a Thai bank the requirement?

I have it but there is no way it's being transferred to Thailand.

The details have yet to be announced but I doubt it is required to be in a Thai bank since this category will include people not yet in Thailand.

Hopefully all bank accounts will be considered i.e. in home country and (if yo uhave) in Thailand and altogether need to total 500k baht.

It will still be a problem for many retirees using the income method. Less so for those using lump sum since they are required anyway to always have at least 400k in the bank in Thailand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The details have yet to be announced but I doubt it is required to be in a Thai bank since this category will include people not yet in Thailand.

Hopefully all bank accounts will be considered i.e. in home country and (if yo uhave) in Thailand and altogether need to total 500k baht.

It will still be a problem for many retirees using the income method. Less so for those using lump sum since they are required anyway to always have at least 400k in the bank in Thailand.

In the past, when I did marriage extensions, the money had to be in a Thai bank account and the statements had to have been certified within a day of the application by the bank. My guess would be they require the same for the 500k/6months.

Edited by DrTuner

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

So it's gone from showing 20,000 bht at the borders to 500,000 bht .......... I tell you what, shove it..... I just hope the rest of the world does the same to Thais who want to travel...........  All i can say is let the barstuards starve for a while......    

They kind of do that already.....

7 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Can anyone figure out why the retired people can't get back in? What possible explanation is there? 

It looks like they will be allowed under the newest ruling if they meet financial requirement, but details need to be worked out and announced.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It looks like they will be allowed under the newest ruling if they meet financial requirement, but details need to be worked out and announced.

Part of that will be health and Covid Insurance.  Good luck to all us old guys with that.

8 hours ago, cplgil said:

LOL, You are funny if you think people don't keep $15k usd in their bank acct!!!

Why funny ??:unsure:

I will not pretend to know how people manage their money in other countries, but in mine (France) people usually keep on their current account only the money needed for the month, and it's far to be near 15'000 € !... but more like 2-3'000 €.

Same people keep their savings on other types of accounts, with better interest rate and less risks (no direct access or access by card), but thanks to Internet this money can easily be transferred between these accounts when needed.

What would be the point to keep 15'000 $/€ on a current account? :ermm:

• Like 1