Greenlight for studies for "Thai Bridge" to connect Petchaburi and Chonburi

webfact

54 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The highway across the peninsular from Ranong to Chumphon already exists and seemingly would require little additional upgrading for this traffic. The rail already exists through Chumphon and up to Bangkok

The last time I drove anywhere near Ranong, the road was windy due to the hills. And there's no train line on the western coastline. I can't see a road or rail connection being feasible, worthwhile, affordable or good for the nature in between.

19 minutes ago, 2long said:

The last time I drove anywhere near Ranong, the road was windy due to the hills. And there's no train line on the western coastline. I can't see a road or rail connection being feasible, worthwhile, affordable or good for the nature in between.

Have you driven the road from Ranong to Chumphon? Did you mean windy or winding? Either way what's the relevance?

I didn't state there was a train line on the western coastline, I was taking about the existing one the location of which I described fairly specifically. Do you have a comprehension problem?

• Confused 1

They can't figure out if they want to turn the country into an industrial estate or a tourist destination. Can't have both and in either case, normal people and nature will suffer as it always does. All that extra road and rail traffic, not to mention the destruction (construction) phase will spew millions more CO2 into the atmosphere. They still have 19th century mentality in the 21st century  where we should be finding efficiencies not building inefficient road systems that destroy everything they pass. Anyway, will make for a lot more stories when the bridge gets hit regularly by ships as well as cars flying off into the sea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PGSan said:

That is a bit out of date by now.   The really huge remaining problem with this drive is that there is no motorway (and no hope of much of one) on the Hua Hin side of Bangkok.

I agree with you on the basis that Rama II through Samut Sakhon and Samut Songkhran is not a true motorway as such. However it is being upgraded to 4 lanes each way in parts which is wider than many motorways in Europe. Then continuing down through Petchaburi by passing Cha Am and Hua Hin is 3 lane each way.

I travel from Nonthaburi down to Cha Am frequently and manage 2 ½ hours, less at night, so from a commercial transport perspective, a reasonable timescale.

The problem is when there is an accident (so everyday!) and it can soon turn into 4 hours.

Once you’re down towards Chumphon the traffic thins out and the total journey would be around 12-15 hours. Hopefully with the additional time for the 11 hours in 14 rule.

In principal having my containers miss out the extra day down to Singapore, then be transferred to another ship and the 3 days up the Gulf of Thailand would be a sensible alternative.

• Like 1

Did I dream this or was it real; the extension of the rail from Chiang Mai to Chiang Kong. I'm pretty sure it was a serious proposition? Cos I like trains and it could/should radically reduce the number of trucks and bus' that cause such regular fatal smashes. I'd imagine the bus/coach companies would blank out the idea.

I must try and dream more realistically. Difficult when one is here,

9 hours ago, webfact said:

But should it become a reality having a bridge connecting Chonburi and Pattaya to Hua Hin and the south would be a major development for not just international trade but tourism also. 

Tourism? What tourism? Is that still a thing in Thailand?