Engineering consultant cheats death after falling into 12-metre hole

webfact

Engineering consultant cheats death after falling into 12-metre hole

By The Nation

800_6921f249db86412.png?v=1602045165

An engineering consultant escaped death when a vacuum sweeper truck hooked a cable he was standing on, making him lose balance and sending him plunging into a 12-metre hole as he was inspecting underground electrical cable work in Bangkok on Wednesday.

The 56-year-old consultant was visiting the construction site on Rama 3 Road early in the morning to examine the progress of the electrical cable work when the incident took place.

An electrical cable on which he was standing suddenly got entangled in the vacuum sweeper truck that was passing the site. The consultant lost his balance and fell into the nearby hole.

Bang Phong Phang police, which were notified of the incident, immediately contacted a rescue team, which helped the man, who was miraculously still alive, out of the hole.

The team used a crane to lower a rescuer with a cable and spent 30 minutes before they could bring the consultant back up and out of the hole. He suffered head and body injuries and was sent to the hospital.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395757

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-07

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

And the safety barrier around the hole ??????

Best post on this thread - accidents do happen, and standing on a cable doesn't strike me as being particularly dangerous. (unless it's "live" of course!) But any hole that size should have some form of barrier round it.

However, under the circumstances, even if there was a barrier, he may well have gone "a**e over t*t" over the top of it -who knows? One thing's for sure, he's a very lucky man!

30 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Hope it wasn't Crossy :sad: 

Nope, sadly for some members, not I.

I echo some members, never, ever stand on anything that's not the floor.

Years ago I was working on HK new airport (yes that long ago). I spent weeks walking around a piece of cardboard/thin ply on the floor, one day it was missing revealing a hole the went down at least 3 floors!

I never found out where it went, hopefully nobody took a shortcut!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The engineering consultant may need to consultant a safety consultant for consultation.   On a construction site, you do not stand on anything that is not meant to be stood upon.   

He probably was the health and safety inspector as well.

2 hours ago, Drew3223 said:

This thread perfectly captures that preachy ex-pat miserable old <deleted> vibe. It should be preserved, and put in a museum. As should the ex-pats.

Yup - the armchair critics, in formation!

I once had a summer construction job on a high-rise apartment building in the U.S..  One task was to put up temporary, clamp-on safety railings on what would eventually be an outer wall.  But there was nothing, completely open. So we dutifully put up barriers to protect other workers.  Us?  Hell, we were $4.50/hour summer hire kids, who cared if we fell.  I think it was up to 10 or 12 stories at that point.

12 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The engineering consultant may need to consultant a safety consultant for consultation.   On a construction site, you do not stand on anything that is not meant to be stood upon.   

They have no problem with overhead power cables, all you need is a bamboo ladder and a pair of running shoes, oh, and good balance as well 

The safety on that site and in all the minds there is awful / non-existent.  Even during the rescue mission any number of rescuers, passers-by, general rubber neckers and supervisors / shouters are all ready to fall into the hole as well.

13 hours ago, malt25 said:

And the safety barrier around the hole ??????

that was my immediate thought,  the sweeper truck caught the cable he was standing un and pulled it suddenly, as such I could imagine anyone would loose their balance and topple.

Ok, he shouldn't have stood on it but who knows what mess may have been under his feet surroundings.