Thailand to make, supply AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine

snoop1130

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

It would be better to prove it's effectiveness first , before mass production starts ...

If the difference between production cost VS sales price is huge, then producing 3 billion doses ahead of launch, could be very awarding if they are one of the companies that launches first. 

If they have decided to produce 3 billion it tells me they think the world plan to vaccinate most people and that their production facilities has to be spread out worldwide. 

It's not an easy task to manufacture 3 billion doses in 6 months for one company. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, polpott said:

Correct. Astra Zenica had such good results from stages 1 and 2 of the trials that they took the gamble of starting production immediately. As you say, production has started in several countries. India has the largest facilities. Good possibility that it will be rolled out in the UK by Christmas.

Hmm I have 500,000 baht just sitting on the bankaccount doing nothing since I only traveled once thus year. Maybe I should buy stocks ????

Edited by Virt
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

This vaccine is still undergoing tests. It's been halted in the USA. 

It is rumoured to provide only short term immunity - something like 6 months. But may lessen symptoms for a year if you catch it. 

It was halted as a precaution when someone in the UK got ill. Now restarted everywhere except for the US.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/10/06/astrazeneca-covid19-second-dose-trial-vaccine/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firemans35 said:

My first thought was if a UK drug company was using Thai people as guinea pigs without fully testing the vaccine. 

No one will receive the Astra Zenica vaccine until it has been fully tested to international standards. No shortcuts are being/have been taken as far as testing is concerned. The British public are likely to be the first to receive the vaccine. As soon as its available I'm on a plane back to the UK.

As in the UK,(As suggested by a member of the public, but they have not agreed to yet, and probaly never will) all politicians, all Doctors and nurses, all officials and the police, I feel sure will be first to step up to the plate for this experimental vaccine and be the first to have this vaccine, them being 'Front line' workers ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

Reuters) - Thailand has agreed to manufacture and supply AstraZeneca Plc's experimental COVID-19 vaccine in the southeast Asian country and other nations in the region, the British and Thai governments said on Monday.   

Hang on, did you say EXPERIMENRAL VACCINE? At least try it on rats before you give it to us!

Stage 1 trials were on primates. Stage 2 on selected volunteers. Stage 3 is well under way with over 100k volunteers in 4 countries, including an equal number being given placebos. Once the trials are completed and the results analysed, it will be available to the general public. A bit misleading to call it "experimental" at that point.

23 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Looks like the US is on track to have the same number of deaths as years past, so maybe there is something about only 6% of the people are dying from covid, while 94% have multiple comorbidities.

2017 Total Deaths US: 2,813,503 (234,000/month)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db328.htm????

2018 Total Deaths US: 2,839,205 (237,000/month)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db355.htm????

2019 Total Deaths US: 2,855,000 (238,000/month)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/provisional-tables.htm????

2020 Total Deaths US (jan - week 9/26): 2,130,000 (236,000/month)

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Weekly-Counts-of-Deaths-by-State-and-Select-Causes/muzy-jte6????

2,130,000 + (236,000/month x 3) [Oct, Nov, Dec] = 2,838,000 [assumption based on monthly avg]

2020: 2,838,000 

The numbers varies a lot across the world. For example Italy, Spain, France and UK has more deaths than normal as far as I know. 

Denmark on the other hand has the lowest deaths in 5 years, reported by the news the other day. 

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

It would be better to prove it's effectiveness first , before mass production starts ...

Producing it in parallel with the testing means it will be available immediately testing is complete, without the lead time of creating and proving a manufacturing facility.  If it fails testing, anything already made will be scrapped but the facility remains available for the next one.  Would be customers (governments) are underwriting this cost as they know the economic benefits of getting this out quickly far outweigh the costs involved in doing it this way.

• Like 2

Anything  to  do with Thailand  stay  away from 

Track records  speak for themselves

If USA  selfed   you can bet  not work 

However  Thailand   see a way to  make  a profit  from it  why not 

If  not  work  does not matter  Money  does .....Use the  Vacine Australia  will use   it will work  

Good Luck Thailand

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Sonyboy said:

As in the UK,(As suggested by a member of the public, but they have not agreed to yet, and probaly never will) all politicians, all Doctors and nurses, all officials and the police, I feel sure will be first to step up to the plate for this experimental vaccine and be the first to have this vaccine, them being 'Front line' workers ?

Nope. First in line are the particularly vulnerable, followed by frontline workers followed by the over 50s.

Just now, Strongheart said:

In order to produce a vaccine one first has to isolate (purify) a virus.

COVID-19 has never been isolated yet. This fact makes its very existence questionable.

Stop drinking the Look-Aid, people.

Not true. The full DNA profile of Covid-19 was distributed to various countries by China back in January (including USA).

What if I want to get my vaccine in Moscow? , or Sydney? Madrid?.
If I am vaccinated in Thailand, will Germany honor it?

Why don’t we vaccinate for Dengue?

will a world standard be established?

what if a cure is developed ?

The possibility exists that profit will dictate ops.

????????

• Like 1

The vaccine, a product of Oxford University / British company will be supplied to Thailand at "no profit" Thais naturally will be ahead but what price a Brit or any farang. Thai hospitals won't pass up a chance for a big helping of extra pricing.