Foreigners offered new ‘smart visa’ if they buy a condo in Thailand, Elite Card holders offered work permits

webfact

4 hours ago, gungadin1 said:

Don't know about you lot but I'm getting to the point I can't be bothered to read anymore of this nonsense everyday

I dont know,

if you live in Australia, where

p4p is $300 per hour,

a carton of beer is $55

packet of cigarettes $40

AND they wont let you leave the country

this is cheap daily comedy gold right here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Do you want a medal or would you prefer a blinged out zimmer?

76A45335-C6F2-4D67-B28A-872A3AADD936.jpeg

I should have added we (me and my friends) were all in our 30s...so not quite ready for my golden walker yet; but enjoy each of your B 150-200k square meters...the developer certainly is.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jwbrit said:

I wonder why the Thai govt doesn't have some interactions with foreign consulates or arrange for focus groups to get some actual and useful feedback on what would entice foreigners to come to Thailand.  As it is they have a new idea every week that is just ridiculous and out of touch with reality.

To do that, you'll need brains, simple as that.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Because a 30 sq/m studio in Hong Kong will cost you 22,500,000 THB and will be in a building with no pool or gym.  

Or how about 25 sq/m for 25,000,000 THB, or 32,000,000 THB for 32 sq/m 

I could point out that although HK is easier to live in as more people speak English, Bangkok has over the past 12 years caught up and in many ways exceeded Hong Kong as a desirable place to live.  At least before Covid, when we had more and more high quality restaurants opening, the club scene was vibrant, new high end malls and more choice of high end clothing etc.

Yeh, but no freedom anymore....When I see Carry Lam, I prefer to stay here, and it will be worser, you know that. Honk Kong is lost forever.

• Like 1

People should realise that PM and the "team" will do everything to squeze as much money as they can from foreigners, and it is the shame for set such rules that people who lived past 5,10,15,20 years invested in Thailand, purchased condos, built big houses all over rural areas of Thailand are now worth 0. They know foreigners who are outside of Thailand will have to pump money inside for their spuses, kids and all sort of it, and they showed in many cases that they dont want us here they just want money this Covid-19 is perfect oportunity to keep most of foreigners out while still keep fluctating money inside the country. What happened now because Covid-19 was planned long time ago but they just fast forwarded it they already started with 400-800k requirements and keep it in bank for 8 months than they introduced Elite visas for 5,10, 20 years, in the next few years all of this what are they proposing now would happen even without Covid-19. They dont want us here so sooner people realise it it will better for them. 

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

If you make enough phee sounds Thais will think it's haunted and you'll get the whole building to yourself. Not bad. Might be a tad difficult to sell though.

I’m hoping my subwoofer will deter people from buying on my floor.  One can hope.

37 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

but enjoy each of your B 150-200k square meters...the developer certainly is.

So what you’re saying is that anybody who buys one of those 8MB condos in order to obtain a visa to live here is a fool.  

I wholeheartedly agree.

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why would anyone want a cracker box 35 to 50 SqM condo. That's what 8 Mthb will buy you in Bangkok.  Why plow a million USD into real estate to get a work permit.  More carrots being dangled that are coated with vinegar.

...I agree.  All the new condos these days in bkk are small shoe boxes.  Really, in my opinion, really non livable/functional.  I checked out a few units, all new, all pre fab and really tiny for just me - although I saw plenty of chinese/russian families buying these small units.  

I see that there is a 8M baht minimum on a condo purchase = smart visa requirement, which means I won’t qualify.  Closing on a property on Thursday.  In an older building, but #131 sqm, corner unit in Pattaya with sea view.  Only #3.5M baht.  Bkk has gotten too expensive for me - lol.  

Foreign seller who was desperate to sell and dropped the price 2M baht.  Only issue now, when will I ever get allowed back into LOS and actually get to use the place, lol.  

This aside from looking foolish is also starting to look a bit scary

The report the other day about more NPL's right now than the 1997 crisis

Then these constant proposals for injections into Thai Banking

( which in itself should have nothing to do with getting Visa's etc)

Sounds like Thailand is about to have a much bigger problem than C19

7 minutes ago, meechai said:

Sounds like Thailand is about to have a much bigger problem than C19

The root of the problem is the mismanagement of the covid response. They could have invested in testing and set up a functioning tracing network, but instead .. hey submarines. Well who cares, pockets have been lined, let 'em eat cake.

• Like 2

Thailand has no chance to return to normal tourist number's due to its racist and nationalist policys ... covid was just the straw that broke its back. after 20 years of living off and on in SE asia many xpats including me have left for better freedoms and deals else where ... RIP thailand was fun while it lasted ...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lucifer999 said:

Thailand has no chance to return to normal tourist number's due to its racist and nationalist policys ... covid was just the straw that broke its back. after 20 years of living off and on in SE asia many xpats including me have left for better freedoms and deals else where ... RIP thailand was fun while it lasted ...

...agreed, the landscape has been changing for a while now.  The “Land of Smiles” that I was introduced to 13 years ago, is not what it once was.  I use to spend majority of my time in Thailand with visa flights to P/I for a week.  Over the past several years, I have started to increase my time in the Philippines/decreasing my time in Thailand.  Recently, I was in Davao,Cebu, Boracay for work, Leyte.  I was pleasantly suprised how genuine the girls were in those cities. In those areas, the girls were not materialistic, never asked for money, always smiling and always happy, even if they or their family had very little. If you really want the gfe, I would suggest certain areas of P/I.  

I am cautiously aware of the new movement groups and existing hoops being thrown towards foreigners...

Btw, for those who prefer to reduce annual retirement visa paperwork, in P/I once you apply once, it is forever.  No need to annually apply.  And it comes with a number of special benefits.  

The plan was to always retire in Thailand, but now open to reconsideration....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John Drake said:

So you must wait eight years so immigration can make sure you don't sell. Then, after eight years, you get the Smart/Dumb Visa

5 years,not eight years, and you get the visa at once. You just sign an agreement not to sell earlier than 5 years. 

Government of Thailand. Please spend 5 minutes thinking before you act. If I was a multimillionaire in my country WHY would I want a WORK PERMIT in your country?!!!!????? Do you think I am going to work in Thailand? The only time this would work is if I open my own business and I am the CEO of that business. 

You are coming up with schemes and tricks, not strategic plans for recovery or growth.

I just bought a condo in petchaburi close to thonglor for under 100k per sqm. 2 year old building 31st floor with unobstructed view. During this covid nonsense my Toronto condo lost 25% of the value and I have to pay close to 700 bucks a month in condo fees, taxes and insurance. 

I really hate stupid western investor who runs away at the slightest trouble. I know for a fact that abandoned sathorn unique near saphan taksin still has investors who refuse to sell their units at profit in that abandoned 1997 Asian crisis building. 

Meanwhile I'll enjoy my view until wife and I decide to move to Canada. 

Moving in November 1st. Tired of paying stupid rent. 

received-3431808333533138.jpg

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Edheres said:

The people who dream up these schemes either:

A: Never had to work for a living or budget for anything.

B. Never traveled to real resort/vacation areas and have no idea of what money can buy elsewhere.

C. Can't envision a world outside of their own............. or

D. Are really stupid.

E: All of the above

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

5 years,not eight years, and you get the visa at once. You just sign an agreement not to sell earlier than 5 years. 

Yep and price will go definetely down so probably person who purchase condo will lose some amount of money before can even sell it, after in 5 years you can pick up peanuts and go back to home country. Welcome to LOS

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Son just bought a 3500sqft house on 5 acres in Montana for 560k

Guy on the plane showed me his 80,000 USD A-frame on 1 acre next to a river in the western part of Virginia. Not a good place to live unless retired but seriously a sweet deal and awesome location.

Unfortunate how those in power will not admit to themselves that Thailand is marketable as a cheap holiday (relatively  speaking) and not a high end destination . They keep pretending that Thailand is a special place that tourists are lucky to be allowed to spend time in . They need to change that thinking and operate with tourism and immigration bureau's that work hard to encourage tourists and returning ex pats and not continually insult their intelligence by cloaking money grabs with a supposed concern for public safety .

The continuing message they are putting out is we don't want you just your money .

The one comparitively easy attraction is cheap pussy (yes price is going up ) but now that service is not as appealing with the threat of catching the virus  so if you are just looking for beaches and sun there are so many options that Thailand could suffer years of lost revenue to other destinations .  One of the the worst thing you can do in business is give a customer a reason to try out your competitor . Very hard to get them back once they have made the switch .

Probably be some good deals on condo's as people are getting fed up with these silly conditions for returning and may look at selling and going some place where they may feel welcomed . I certainly regret having bought a condo in Jomtien and will look at unloading it when I finally get back to Thailand . Lesson learned .

7 hours ago, Thomas J said:

NCC1701A 

You are correct.  Yes places in areas like New York City and most of California are very expensive.  However in Texas you can buy as much and maybe even more home for your money than here in Thailand.  There are many areas in South Carolina, Florida, Tennesee etc that the same is true.

Here is a listing in Kingwood which is an affluent adjoining area to Houston.  

Here is one example.  Large 4 br home with brick 4 bedrooms 2.5 baths and ASKING price is $188,000 USD

08447b0d878bf53c23ee5a973afdaf50l-m3922389011od-w1024_h768.jpg

Kingwood, TX 

Nice size house in USA for $188K wonder why?

High property taxes, either Harris or Montgomery county but check for homestead exemption

Likely has termite issues and the lawn is certainly rife with fire ants

Can't enjoy outdoors 10 months a year due weather

FLOODS

Needs constant AC energy costs high, dehumidify constantly or risk 

BLACK MOLD

mosquitoes

right wingers

guns 

megachurches and Christian wackos

A real American dream

• Haha 2