What China’s struggles with a Thai railway say about the Belt and Road

webfact

What China’s struggles with a Thai railway say about the Belt and Road

-- After years of stuttering progress on a 250km high-speed rail link, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi is expected to sign a deal in Bangkok this week

-- Experts say the key Belt and Road project shows how, contrary to perceptions, Southeast Asian nations have significant leverage with China

Maria Siow

scmp.jpg

Models of high-speed trains in Qingdao, China. Photo: EPA

When Foreign Minister Wang Yi visits Thailand  on Wednesday and Thursday as part of his tour of Southeast Asia, China’s top diplomat is expected to sign a contract for a 252km high-speed rail link between Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima in the east of the country.

The line, which is part of a railway running from Kunming in southern China to Singapore, will eventually run up to Nong Khai and over the border to Laos, where Chinese engineers have blasted through mountains and built massive bridges over rivers to meet a 2021 deadline to open a link to China’s vast rail network.

Progress on the high-speed line has stuttered for several years with Thai authorities uneasy over the high interest rates charged by Chinese financing, the track design and even the need for the scheme.

Full story: https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3105183/what-chinas-struggles-thai-railway-say-about-belt-and-road

s.jpg

-- © Copyright South China Morning Post 2020-10-13

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

BTW, in case people are unaware: KHAO SOD NEWS, including the KHAO SOD ENGLISH EDITION is now also controlled by Xinhua.

Most of them are. Thai Enquirer seems to be an exception.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/7301/thai-media-is-outsourcing-much-of-its-coronavirus-coverage-to-beijing-and-thats-just-the-start/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

Debt contrary to most opinions is how Britain expanded its empire in the 18th/19th century

I thought it was the military and a few others but do please explain in simple English with appropriate examples and comparisons!

Edited by fangless

15 minutes ago, greeneking said:

I would genuinely like to know what benefits you see. Many flights of 5000 baht or less and a flight time of 110 minutes are on offer already.

I would enjoy the journey, but after the fun trip my next trips for business or holidays would be by air. Transporting goods does not need to be done by high speed trains. Many Chinese tourists have very short holidays and want to be somewhere in the quickest way i.e. fly.

Mostly personal, love long train journeys, love Laos and South West China so all good for me and others like me. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Debt contrary to most opinions is how Britain expanded its empire in the 18th/19th century, China is doing the same today, but is refraining from direct control over countries, instead settling for economic control.

So yes that is the risk, but the benefits of a regular train service between Kunming and Bangkok is quite exciting. It will still go wrong at some point though, no doubt

"the benefits of a regular train service between Kunming and Bangkok is quite exciting"

I agree that it will be very exciting for Thai people. There will be many betting pools set up to predict which province and how many times the tracks will get washed out every year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The Thais really had the Chinese by the cajones...without the segment through Thailand, the rail line ends in Loas...not Singapore.

Agreed but the Thais can still have the Chinese if they play clever. Let the Chinese invest heavily into currently proposed new lines from Laos to Bangkok but then find a "ransom strip" somewhere in the south that cannot be used or upgraded by the Chinese unless on Thailand's terms. Think of a number! Connecting to Singapore would not be possible unless agreed on Thai terms so all the earlier investment by Chinese likely wasted.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Agreed but the Thais can still have the Chinese if they play clever. Let the Chinese invest heavily into currently proposed new lines from Laos to Bangkok but then find a "ransom strip" somewhere in the south that cannot be used or upgraded by the Chinese unless on Thailand's terms. Think of a number! Connecting to Singapore would not be possible unless agreed on Thai terms so all the earlier investment by Chinese likely wasted.

The Chinese have some cards to play too...slowing imports from Thailand...reducing the numbers of tourists to Thailand...but the Thais definitely have some leverage to play with.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The line, which is part of a railway running from Kunming in southern China to Singapore, will eventually run up to Nong Khai and over the border to Laos, where Chinese engineers have blasted through mountains and built massive bridges over rivers to meet a 2021 deadline to open a link to China’s vast rail network.

Maybe China is getting tired of Thailands stuttering?

11 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

I agree that it will be very exciting for Thai people. There will be many betting pools set up to predict which province and how many times the tracks will get washed out every year. 

Considering it is elevated I would love to know how you think that is going to happen. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

In order to build this railway they will have to remove all of this countries narrow gauge line and that will then deal a heavy blow to the SRT and others that have modified there equipment to traverse the lines here.

This is a completely separate system from the current rail network, and will have no effect on the existing narrow gauge tracks - just as the elevated, standard gauge Airport Rail Link had no effect.