"The Stranded": Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand; #3 Charity workers and volunteers

webfact

I smell a Pulitzer with all of these human interest stories but could someone take the time to report some breaking news. 
Most of the alerts I receive from Thai Visa are from day old newspaper articles or from 24 hour earlier from online news sources. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, connda said:

I'd have more sympathy for these programs, but honestly?  When I see so called volunteer organizations charging "volunteers" significant sums of money on order to volunteer and freely give of their time and energy - I want to throw up.

So now a "volunteer", if allowed to return, will need to run the Thai regulatory gauntlet, pay for all the additional charges ranging from special insurance to special airline fares to special medical tests to special quarantine hotels, and then once they arrive shell out the equivalent of $200 to $1000 per week for the special opportunity to volunteer? 
Really?  What a racket.  How do I start my own?

I truly believe that people who volunteer have their hearts in the right place.  But when you economically feed so-called "volunteer" organizations by paying them a fee  in order to provide free services to the host country which doesn't give a rip about your services, or for that matter, doesn't care about you as a human being either.  Why?  Why do that? That's the definition of insanity in my book. 

I've volunteered on and off throughout my life. Never have I had to pay money to give of my time and expertise.  And never have I volunteered in a county like Thailand that has little but disrespect and loathing for foreign individuals who come to help the needy and down-trodden within their country and society.  Why is that?  My guess is that they don't care.  Culturally, the needy and down-trodden are viewed as having bad karma and thus are deserving of their unfortunate state.  If they have bad karma it's their own problem why should a Thai person intercede and help?  Why would anyone but a foreigner want to help them? Foreigners are crazy and a danger to Thailand's national security to boot, so they think.  So Thais neither appreciate the plight of the needy nor the compassionate, selfless volunteering of foreigners. 

If someone really wants to volunteer check out the likes of the Peace Corp or similar organization that don't hold their hands out expecting a sum of money so that you can provide them with your services to help a needy third party.

And my suggestion to those who wish to help others?  Find a country where your time and energy are appreciate by the government.  Thailand is not that country. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Put a vote to the Thai people and stop scaring them with covid-19. Thailand needs their friends and family back as this is what makes this country strong.

You could be surprised

i am pretty sure most of the Thais people are not at the moment for an opening of the borders

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There are so many agents processing 'volunteer' visas - literally thousands of them with prices ranging from 25k-65k depending on length of time/agent chosen.

If they insisted that those who bought one of those visas contributed a little their time each week/month, there would be no need to bring outside help in.

The problem is when they insist on volunteering full time - there aren't many people who can do that. There are lot's of people who work remotely/online for foreign companies and would gladly give up a few hours to volunteer locally in exchange for a visa.

• Like 2

They are trying to keep the virus out so i totally understand why they won't allow foreign nationals in unless they have a Thai spouse or child.

Yes there will be cases of hardship and of people who maybe could be let in but i don't want the floogates open and the virus spreading here like it is in europe or america.

Wait for a vaccine and then let them in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, connda said:

As a qualified instructor of both English and computer technology I've offered by services for free to Thai schools before, the only stipulation being that the school provide a work permit.  I've never found a taker.  Not even any interest.

I sympathise with you but I think the problem there is that the WP system requires the sponsor to pay for the WP and then pay the employee (volunteer) a fixed salary per month depending on nationality and you pay the related Tax, Catch 22!
How the so called “Volunteer Visa works I have no idea apart from it seems to be a way of paying a lot for a visa/extension to do nothing when you do not meet the criteria for other visa(s)/extensions!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 2