How do I stay in Thailand on a tourist visa for a year upward?

Do you know that Thailand's borders are closed with only a few exceptions, such as if you are married to a Thai or have a job here?    The borders are closed to tourists from the USA and will likely remain closed for a very long time.

Edited by Phillip9
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kerlimeke75 said:

I am from the US.

Thats  the country that in last 2 days has set consecutive daily record for positive covid cases. I assume you have heard of new kid on the block covid-19.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, kerlimeke75 said:

Bringing in $850 a month passive income without working and will work digitally as well.

Will immigration have an issue with me doing visa runs?

I understand they view it from an economic standpoint and don’t want backpackers here. Low end foreigners are useless to Thailand, to my understanding. My question is how do I ensure my stay is without trouble from immigration?

I am from the US.

Currently, your only option is the Thailand Elite Visa (Min 500K for 5 years, though this is reportedly rising to 600K in January so if you want it, get it soon) or the STV (currently only available to a select few countries) for which you need 500K in the bank for the past 6 months. 

Assuming we ever get back to a "Normal" similar to how it was before CV19, Thailand will be keen to get the tourist numbers up so it's quite possible that border controls will go back to being more open as they were years ago & the "Good Old Days" of monthly border bounces come back, but even if they do, it's no basis to plan longer term living as you know they'll close up again. 

Good Luck, but if it were me I would be looking at somewhere else at the moment, being from the US you have loads of choices more or less on your doorstep e.g. Costa Rica, Mexico, Dominican Republic etc... Look again at Thailand in 3-5 years time. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kerlimeke75 said:

Bringing in $850 a month passive income without working and will work digitally as well.

I understand they view it from an economic standpoint and don’t want backpackers here. Low end foreigners are useless to Thailand, to my understanding. My question is how do I ensure my stay is without trouble from immigration?

I am from the US.

Once you are able to enter there may be some options 

1 If you are over 50 you can apply for a retirement extension ,involves 800k in a Thai bank for set period, if married to a Thai citizen or parent to a Thai child tehre are more options

2  I suggest you research this forum , many people have paid agents to fix deposits, obtain volunteer or education visas. You can study inter alia Thai , Thai boxing and at real universities , there is usually a way , your first issue may be CoE , testing , limited flights,costs, initial quarantine hotel etc.

There is lots of info and opinion in these threads I suggest you do some research

On 11/5/2020 at 11:27 AM, kerlimeke75 said:

I am from the US.

If you manage to enter on STV (special tourist visa), you can stay up to 270 days. Problem is that US citizens can't apply at the moment (to my knowledge).

My understanding is there won't be visa runs in the foreseeable future, so I'd look at other options if you're planning to move soon. I was reading this article the other day:

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/countries-launch-digital-nomad-visas-work-from-home/

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's still possible to enter Turkey as a tourist and apply for residence permit.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:33 AM, FritsSikkink said:

You are not allowed to work (digitally) on a tourist visa. 

On paper maybe. In practice, authorities don't care as long as income source is outside of Thailand.

Can you name a single country that requires digital nomads to obtain a work permit? That would be ridiculous and not possible anyway, because most DNs don't `work` in the country where they temporarily reside.

Edited by redpill17
typo

I take exception to the comment that Canadians are only Yanks with a Queen????????Sounds like you never been to Canada  which is very differed to from the States and that’s coming from somebody born in London, grew up and educated in Vanada and lived and worked in Los Angeles and New York. Me thinks too much fake news and huge lack of knowledge????????????

On 11/5/2020 at 5:27 AM, kerlimeke75 said:

My question is how do I ensure my stay is without trouble from immigration?

The short answer to your question "How do I stay in Thailand on a tourist visa for a year upward?" is: You don't.

"Tourist visa" is exactly what the text says, a tourist visa. You can manage up to between six and nine month in various ways, at present only possibility seems to be the Special Tourist Visa (STV) for 90 days, which is eligible for two more 90-day period extensions without leaving the country; i.e. 270 days in all. The are conditions for applying, and mandatory quarantine when entering Thailand.

The method often mentioned by digital nomads with a fair income is the Elite Card, which will be give you from 5 years and up to 20 years multi-entry visa.

I'm not American, so I don't know the rules for USA, but you should check if something happens to your status when living abroad for 183 days and more within a year. In theory you are tax-resident in the country where you stay 183 days and more within a year, but you can also still be taxed in your home country, worth reading the Double Taxation Agreement, which you can finde HERE.

• Confused 1

Please ignore the naysayers and just get the STV which allows you 270 days stay in Thailand, and then just visit a neighboring country and do it all over again.

Don't advertise your digital work, and do it all you want.

Enjoy your life in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with wonderful people, really wonderful food, and lots of options for enjoyment ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, redpill17 said:

On paper maybe. In practice, authorities don't care as long as income source is outside of Thailand.

Can you name a single country that requires digital nomads to obtain a work permit? That would be ridiculous and not possible anyway, because most DNs don't `work` in the country where they temporarily reside.

Feeble excuse, like in any other country where you live longer than 180 days you need to pay tax. You are NOT allowed to work on a tourist visa. That there are no easy options for a freelancer doesn't you are working legally.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Feeble excuse, like in any other country where you live longer than 180 days you need to pay tax

Does Thailand Tax Foreign Income? Thailand taxes worldwide income, just as the US does. But unlike the US, only residents are taxed on their worldwide income while non-residents are taxed only on the income earned in Thailand.Jan 30, 2020

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

at present only possibility seems to be the Special Tourist Visa (STV) for 90 days, which is eligible for two more 90-day period extensions without leaving the country; i.e. 270 days in all

The OP is USA. He cannot apply for STV.

He could apply for updated tourist visa that has new requirements. 

If over 50 he could obtain a non O-A.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:27 AM, kerlimeke75 said:

My question is how do I ensure my stay is without trouble from immigration?

As long as you go by rules, no trouble. You cross the red line, trouble could come to you at any time. Soon or later.

Edited by The Theory

The board of investment is going to be releasing a new SMART visa for freelancers who work remotely/online. The details should be released by the end of the month. Keep checking this website - https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/index.html

This will enable you to work and live here legally, without the need for a work permit - a digital one will be issued to you in bangkok. No 90 day reports, and the visa may be multi-year (up to 5 years). Watch this space... it's an exciting time for remote workers and digital nomads!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

The board of investment is going to be releasing a new SMART visa for freelancers who work remotely/online. The details should be released by the end of the month. Keep checking this website - https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/index.html

This will enable you to work and live here legally, without the need for a work permit - a digital one will be issued to you in bangkok. No 90 day reports, and the visa may be multi-year (up to 5 years). Watch this space... it's an exciting time for remote workers and digital nomads!

Nice idea and yes smart visa been chatted about. "The board of investment" brilliant!

So take a stab at what this will cost.

Even folk on annual extensions needs to pay 1900/yr. Plus keep best part of 800k in bank etc etc. Not to mention all the other options that cost and have requirements. Why no 90 day reports. 

The smart visa will cost? ....what's your guess?