Public outrage over approval for CP Group's acquisition of Tesco Lotus

webfact

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Corruption cartel rotten to the core high prices no competition no choice of products stuck in the third world big backhanders rule the day ????

Buy  all the chemical riddled prawns you can eat hot from Chanthaburi, care of CP inc

help promote the decimation of mangrove forests that they're ripping out to make new ponds.

and pump the contaminated water direct into the ocean.

• Like 2

It's cheaper at the Safeway and Costco in the East Bay CA than it is here. My biggest gripe is lack of large economy sizes for various things at the typical outlets in the central Sukhumvit area; do those sizes exist anywhere? I can't even buy a two liter bottle of OJ. Mostly smaller sizes so we're paying for packaging.

• Like 1

When I first read this news, I thought: oh my. But now I would say that Tesco-Lotus needed badly someone who turns it around and CP is that good "someone". Look how streamlined 7/11 is today. Our family travels now almost every weekend, from one tennis tournament to the next. We like 7/11 for their diversity and choice of new and innovative food products when you're hungry. So, be positive and let's see what CP makes out of Tesco-Lotus. 

Central Group with BigC, Tops and Family Mark will keep CP Group in competition, the loser might some of the be mom & dad shops competing against discount chains; however the latter situation don't change because Tesco-Lotus is returned to the original owner, i.e. CP.

46 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I can't even buy a two liter bottle of OJ. Mostly smaller sizes so we're paying for packaging.

Why not just buy the fruit in the market and eat it.

life can be hard in Thailand some days. :jap:

Edited by quake

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

It's why Thai supermarkets are much more expensive than in Europe. Thailand needs Aldi or Lidl or both and everybody will be so happy to shop there. Because of the monoplies Thailand became too expensive for what it is...

I mention this last week also but believe me, they will not allowed this will be happen ever.

46 minutes ago, Dario said:

When I first read this news, I thought: oh my. But now I would say that Tesco-Lotus needed badly someone who turns it around and CP is that good "someone". Look how streamlined 7/11 is today. Our family travels now almost every weekend, from one tennis tournament to the next. We like 7/11 for their diversity and choice of new and innovative food products when you're hungry. So, be positive and let's see what CP makes out of Tesco-Lotus. 

Have you been to the CP Fresh Mart’s ? - they’re pretty awful... 

This huge takeover of the Tesco Retail Outlets, may have nothing at all to do with the price of your Groceries.

CP may be using the takeover to acquire the Land upon which Tesco Stores are sited.

There is more profit in buying the Tesco Stores, closing them, and then Bulldozing them flat for development sites.

Because the Tesco sites are usually ( but not always near a Big C ) consumers will still have their shopping, but the Land upon which Tesco sits is usually a prime site, and therefore would command a premium price.

32 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Oh dear, not that dreaded "ding dong welcome" now at every Tesco store???

I was just thinking the other day that that ding dong "Welcome" thing must drive the staff nuts, who hear it hundreds of times over and over every day (hour?)

And what does it achieve ? Not as if it's alerting someone that a customer has just entered .....as they all chant "chern ka" in unison anyway !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, quake said:

Why not just buy the fruit in the market and eat it.

life can be hard in Thailand some days. :jap:

Actually I do, I drink OJ with a couple of fresh oranges on the side first thing every morning. My gf goes to Klong Toey market frequently. But try to find a large box of oranges for 200 or 300 baht here like one can get at a Costco in the US.

I totally agree with you that we have a great life here and it's sometimes too easy to lack gratitude. However, the only thing that's substantially cheaper is puxxy; but that make all the difference.

and yet Prayut keeps saying the he doesn't understand why Thai people don't like him and want him out of office, he did/does everything according to (HIS) law and there is No corruption on/in his government 555

God’s (Prayut's)  Kingdom—A Government With No Corruption 

• Like 1

And this my friends is a clear example of why living in Thailand can be frustrating to say the least AND probably why foreigners are not welcome by some, ie educated foreigners know better than to accept corruption. I think the younger Thais have caught on en mass. Good luck to them although i fear nothing will change in the near future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Accidental Tourist said:

Stop buying by Tesco Lotus and Makro. It's really that simple; consumers just need to use the brain and power they have...

Yes that's the answer, there is a 7/11 in our area or a 50km drive to a big c. Who needs Tesco anyway. I can't wait to go haggling in the corner shops for a weekly shop, pity parking is so hard. Those kind people won't think to put prices up as they get so many more customers. I could never understand why Tesco is so popular - who wants a large range of quality products in one shop at reasonable prices without having to haggle anyway? Stuff you cp and your monopoly. Dash it, they own 7/11 as well - looks like it's a long drive to get some cheese. At least I will be making a change and stopping a company ruling my life by forming a monopoly. Why is there not a government agency that stops this sort of thing happening in the first place?