Foreigner injured in clash with protester during pro-democracy rally at Jomtien Beach

webfact

3 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

They don't care if your a rocket scientist. They don't want you to stick your nose in. End

Who is "They"?

I saw only one "man" who couldn't handle a differing opinion..which we are all entitled to have.. in a democracy.

And don't be trying to out-empathise me re the locals. I've been living here full-time for 20 years. I also speak the language. Aquired from  2 years of formal instruction followed by 18 years of practice , not picked up willy-nilly at a Muay Thai camp staffed by Issan people.

10 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

They don't care if your a rocket scientist. They don't want you to stick your nose in. End

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

Who is "They"?

I saw only one "man" who couldn't handle a differing opinion..which we are all entitled to have.. in a democracy.

And don't be trying to out-empathise me re the locals. I've been living here full-time for 20 years. I also speak the language. Aquired from  2 years of formal instruction followed by 18 years of practice , not picked up willy-nilly at a Muay Thai camp staffed by Issan people.

All Thais they don't care what you think or say. I speak full fluent Thai. Know Baukaw and Super bon like brothers. Thais dont want farangs involved. You can go argue your rights with them. Good luck. Regards Tom

14 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

All Thais they don't care what you think or say. I speak full fluent Thai. Know Baukaw and Super bon like brothers. Thais dont want farangs involved. You can go argue your rights with them. Good luck. Regards Tom

So that makes you an expert on what all Thais think?  That's a little arrogant, I would say.  Just because some Thais you know may not want you to be involved or care what you think, doesn't make it the case for everyone.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'd put Russia's level of "democracy" on a par with Thailand's, and like Thailand, protests are allowed.  Not sure why you wouldn't argue with a Thai if your felt strongly enough.  Rather supine and cowardly to just accept everything that is said or happens to you on that basis.

What, it would be like getting nutted and not reacting........

59 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So that makes you an expert on what all Thais think?  That's a little arrogant, I would say.  Just because some Thais you know may not want you to be involved or care what you think, doesn't make it the case for everyone.

Up to you 

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Go try to get involved and test yourself 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DBath said:

And you are TOTALLY defending the worthless punk who cold-cocked an old man. It was a cowardly move by the Thai punk. You should be ashamed.

No I'm not, I'm pointing out a fundamental fact of that case the poster chose to ignore to paint one side as the aggressor which simply wasn't the case. If you read my original post I said straight away the headbutter should face criminal charges for physical assault. I think the old boy in the above assault also faced charges for the initial road rage. 

• Sad 1

On 11/10/2020 at 10:19 AM, bobbin said:

Ok.. I get it.

"Farang"  Bad. Stupid.

Thai "man" just protesting for democratic right to physically assault someone who verbally disagrees with him. Bonus to be able to do it while the man's daughter is standing right next to her father. Extra bonus for frightening a young girl.

Just wondering what galaxy you came from Mr. Alian (sp).. You gotta be a spaceman 'cos there's no way you named yourself after a high-spec computer.

First of all, just because this guy is a protestor, does not make him a saint. He is fallible, just like the rest of us. Second, we are not talking about the right to assault someone. Both were wrong. However, many of us feel the foreigner was REALLY wrong for getting in the face of a passionate protestor, who is fighting for democracy for his nation, and feeling the pressure of fighting with law enforcement, and the dinosaurs in power. The last thing any of them need is an ignorant foreigner, pretending to know the issues at stake. And third, the fact that the daughter was there means very little. I think what you are saying is that children should represent a barrier to all crime, misbehavior, and violence? That is a bit bold and presumptuous. After all, kids are just little people. They are not that special. The world does not revolve around them. She just happened to be there, and perhaps she learned something about her father, in the process. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kinyara said:

No I'm not, I'm pointing out a fundamental fact of that case the poster chose to ignore to paint one side as the aggressor which simply wasn't the case. If you read my original post I said straight away the headbutter should face criminal charges for physical assault. I think the old boy in the above assault also faced charges for the initial road rage. 

I can read...Everything you posted about this topic wreaks of you defending the Thai assailant. Only cowards defend other cowards. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DBath said:

I can read...Everything you posted about this topic wreaks of you defending the Thai assailant. Only cowards defend other cowards. 

No I'm not, for some reason you are choosing to ignore my explicit and clear condemnation of said assailant at the outset. I said he should face criminal charges for an unaacceptable assault and was unfit for any form of political office. How is that defending him?  That appears to be an inconvenient truth for you. 

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Is there any indication of why the Protestors were so angry with him

Apparently ( according to the assailant) 

he called them  rubbish, the dregs of society and  the cause of  Thailand's economic woes !!

how/why the  Russian came to that strange conclusion is anyone's guess. 

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Apparently ( according to the assailant) 

he called them  rubbish, the dregs of society and  the cause of  Thailand's economic woes !!

how/why the  Russian came to that strange conclusion is anyone's guess. 

How he came to such eloquence in English is too. And that the Thai guy got the gist of the meaning. Personally I think it is just BS!

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Without seeing the video  of what the Russian actually said we'll never know..I'd be surprised if it wasn't captured by someone on their phone.

Well I specifically meant the Thai guy justifying his actions with some BS...... like the 'I needed to buy milk for my baby' or 'the  bike pulled out from the side'. even 'he disrespected me'....lines we hear.

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Thai guy justifying his actions with some BS

His violent action was totally unjustified  whatever the Russian may have said.. I can only hope that his action does not give an excuse for the "government"  to further crackdown  on the protesters

and/or cause them to loose sympathy from the general public towards their cause.

8 hours ago, johng said:

and/or cause them to loose sympathy from the general public towards their cause.

The "general public" here are the poor and hungry, and poor and hungry people revolt.  They don't need sympathy in order to do this.  Poverty is a big motivator.  

On 11/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

I'd put Russia's level of "democracy" on a par with Thailand's, and like Thailand, protests are allowed.  Not sure why you wouldn't argue with a Thai if your felt strongly enough.  Rather supine and cowardly to just accept everything that is said or happens to you on that basis.

So you think arguing with a Thai as a guest in their country will get you something or somewhere?  Do you follow any of the Buddhist ideas? You have chosen to reside in a Buddhist country. Might be a good to realize they have some beneficial ideas. I would call name calling a cowardly act.

If a Russian argued with me over a protest I was in in my country I'd tell him to butt out.

2 hours ago, balo said:

I think they just reacted because he looks like a fat , wealthy foreigner to them.  

So in their new Thailand that they are pursuing, they will victimize and discriminate against all fat people, all foreigners, and all wealthy people? Can't believe that, they  worship wealthy people, and have fatties of their own...which leaves......

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2020 at 9:30 AM, elgenon said:

So you think arguing with a Thai as a guest in their country will get you something or somewhere?  Do you follow any of the Buddhist ideas? You have chosen to reside in a Buddhist country. Might be a good to realize they have some beneficial ideas. I would call name calling a cowardly act.

If a Russian argued with me over a protest I was in in my country I'd tell him to butt out.

Buddhists. only in name

The rest is them pretending to be Buddhists.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:40 PM, quake said:

Buddhists. only in name

The rest is them pretending to be Buddhists.

As with any religion, there are bad onions. I see Buddhist precepts being lived all the time. I assume you know what they are, correct? if you don't, it would be impossible to see.

I guess you have bad feelings for Thais. I enjoy the Thai people. One of the reasons I choose to be there. You must have other reasons. Different strokes for different blokes. I personally find that positivity attracts positivity. Not all the time but a good hunk of the time. When it doesn't I move on. Not worth my time or energy. I respect Thais and they respect me. Amazing what happens when you interact with people with respect.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

As with any religion, there are bad onions. I see Buddhist precepts being lived all the time. I assume you know what they are, correct? if you don't, it would be impossible to see

ok, no,

please list all and what you see all day long .

39 minutes ago, elgenon said:

If the people are so bad why live there? What do you like about Thailand. I think that would be a shorter list.

Ok,  strange post you talk like you are not in Thailand twice now ?

but you wish to lecture me on Thai Buddhism. ( or what ever they believe in ) :giggle:

( why i live here ), just finishing off a 22 year stretch, hope i get out early for good behavior.

just for a laugh. this is from google search,

please match it to Thailand if you can, with out laughing to much.   LOL

The Five Precepts are the Buddhist version of a code of conduct or rules to help people behave in a moral and ethical way. Buddhists should follow the Five Precepts to ensure they are living a morally good life. This helps them to get rid of suffering and achieve enlightenment.

The five precepts are as follows:

Precept An example
1. Refrain from taking life Not killing any living being. For Buddhists, this includes animals, so many Buddhists choose to be vegetarian.
2. Refrain from taking what is not given Not stealing from anyone.
3. Refrain from the misuse of the senses Not having too much sensual pleasure. For example, not looking at people in a lustful way or committing adultery.
4. Refrain from wrong speech Not lying or gossiping about other people.
5. Refrain from intoxicants that cloud the mind Not drinking alcohol or taking drugs, as these do not help you to think clearly.

Edited by quake