Thailand Road Carnage: SEVENTY EIGHT dead at the scene on Monday

webfact

On your point 1, 

One would have thought that all the publicity and TV reporting every day on various media channels would be enough of an educational and safety marketing strategy in itself, but Hey I guess this is Thailand after all!

Edited by daiwill60

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Top causes of collisions and injury in Thailand:

1. Lack of driver education, training, and road safety marketing, leading to ignorance of consequences and selfish attitudes of drivers.

2. Poor enforcement, leading to widespread ignoring of traffic laws and principles eg speeding, seat belts, helmets, ghost riding, drivers hours, maintenance.

3. Preponderance of motorcycle use, with no protective gear, especially helmets.

4. Widespread drink driving, with little consequence of punishment like disqualification, heavy fines, jail time or higher insurance premiums.

5. Poor road design, with little vehicle separation eg motorcycles and trucks competing for space, dangerous u-turns from slow traffic into fast traffic, poor junction design with little signage or traffic islands to separate traffic, lack of roundabouts (traffic circles), poor marking of roadworks or damaged road surfaces, poor standard of road construction.

Until all the above are addressed, nothing will change for the better. As most victims (motorcyclists, pickup bed passengers and pedestrians) are poor, no one in authority cares about them. 

On your point 1, 

One would have thought that all the publicity and TV reporting every day on various media channels would be enough of an educational and safety marketing strategy in itself, but Hey I guess this is Thailand after all!

Edited by daiwill60
correction

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The total for 2020 now stands at 12,235 dead at the scene.

Why only quote "dead at the scene" and not include those who unfortunately die in hospital as the result of a road accident???? Should copy TAT's example and boost figures!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

1. Lack of driver education, training, and road safety marketing, leading to ignorance of consequences and selfish attitudes of drivers.

2. Poor enforcement, leading to widespread ignoring of traffic laws and principles eg speeding, seat belts, helmets, ghost riding, drivers hours, maintenance.

3. Preponderance of motorcycle use, with no protective gear, especially helmets.

4. Widespread drink driving, with little consequence of punishment like disqualification, heavy fines, jail time or higher insurance premiums.

5. Poor road design, with little vehicle separation eg motorcycles and trucks competing for space, dangerous u-turns from slow traffic into fast traffic, poor junction design with little signage or traffic islands to separate traffic, lack of roundabouts (traffic circles), poor marking of roadworks or damaged road surfaces, poor standard of road construction.

Until all the above are addressed, nothing will change for the better. As most victims (motorcyclists, pickup bed passengers and pedestrians) are poor, no one in authority cares about them. 

Nonsense, the causes are insufficient numbers of amulets, prayers, blessings and, most importantly, a highly unequal distribution of "luck".

You would see the crowds of demonstrators swollen into millions if "More Luck For Ordinary People" was added to the list of demands.

"They is what they is"

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

Geez I was nearly No79 On Monday A car was coming down the wrong side of the road when i was on my push bike and nearly ran me over I stopped and just glared at him. But dont worry the government is not happy with 78 dead because on the 19 and 20th Nov Thailand has some more holidays Yippee

15 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

You forgot to mention probably about half of the Thais don't even have a drivers license or any drivers training especialy in the countryside and the police if they pull them over 200 baht and away they drive.  My ex didn't have a license and if she saw a roadblock turned around and if pulled over 200 baht and away she goes. Typical Thai responce if I told her she had to get license, Not need, too much trouble to get.

the 

17 hours ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

This will never change.  Any drive down any road will show the idiocy of many Thai drivers and it crosses all socio-economic classes.  The hi-so BMW jerks, the pick up truck jerks, the heavy truck jerks.  So many with no thought as to what they are doing.

Actually Id  disagree  on that, many of them know EXACTLY what they are doing and when caught  out will come out with the most bizarre reason.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I'd agree with all of those, and add in awareness. Many Thais are oblivious to their surroundings, they live in a bubble.

Example: My training as a pedestrian is to walk towards oncoming traffic, so I can take evasive action if necessary. How many Thais does one see doing the opposite? It's like they are devolving responsibility for their own well-being onto other people, or to Buddha.

How many Thais drive without a single glance into their rear vision mirrors?

18 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

You completely missed The Principal Cause:

The drivers and passengers simply don't care about being killers or victims. 

Until that problem is recognized the other cause are superfluous. 

22 hours ago, Trentham said:

I "partially" blame religion. If you believe that you have another life after this it does not matter if you cut this one short.

Let me die a youngman's death
not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death