Non O retirement valid for entering in Thailand

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can't imagine that there would be many folk with a current valid permission of stay of extension to non o retirement.

They presumably exited Thailand prior to late march. 

USA do not issue non o retirement so can't obtain one now.

They could also have left Thailand at any time after March due to a family emergency in their home country and been stuck there - for that matter, they may still be in Thailand right now, but have avoided travel due to fear of not being able to return. So, this is a welcome development for far more people than just those who have been abroad since before Covid.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Once you are in Thailand, there is no need for the covid-19 insurance anymore.

That's quite logical, because Thailand is virtually covid-free.

Once you are longer than 2 weeks in Thailand the risk of being tested positive is not different anymore for you than for anybody else staying in Thailand.

So the requirement that that mandatory covid-19 insurance covers your intended period of stay (in practice, the permission to stay the Visa on which you enter will provide you) is in fact pure THEFT.  When entering on the special 60-day Tourist Visa you only need to buy insurance for the 2 months that Visa will provide you on entry.  But when entering on a Non Imm O-A Visa you have to take the insurance for 1 year, and pay 6 times as much.  Daylight robbery!

You can always stay home and not bother coming.

11 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

They could also have left Thailand at any time after March due to a family emergency in their home country and been stuck there - for that matter, they may still be in Thailand right now, but have avoided travel due to fear of not being able to return. So, this is a welcome development for far more people than just those who have been abroad since before Covid.

Good additional points well made. I know two guys that left for overseas work, one about 4 months ago and the other just last week. Both knew at the time that they would be on a one-way ticket with regard to their easy return. I missed out on a couple of mid-summer offshore Vietnam jobs that would have required me to mobilize and demobilize through Singapore but ultimately return to the UK. I believe that CoE's can now be applied for at Thai Embassies in third countries which may negate the need to travel half-the-world to get in a queue for a CoE back home.

Admittedly this recent addition of Retirement Extensions may have come too late for some who may have left Thailand well before the lockdown or jumped the gun and tried to pre-empt the end of this travel hiatus or the easing of restrictions. But if it enables any amount of people with a legal right of abode in Thailand to return, then it's a good result.

20 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Fully agree that any loosening of the restraints for those wishing to return to Thailand is a welcome development.

So if you are stuck outside Thailand, a still valid permission to stay (protected by a Re-Entry permit) based on your Non Imm Visa extension is considered eqully valid as a new Visa.

The only thing which is not fully clear, is whether such a valid permission to stay based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, would also be accepted to apply for the CoE in countries like US and Australia that do not issue Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement. 

24 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The only thing which is not fully clear, is whether such a valid permission to stay based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, would also be accepted to apply for the CoE in countries like US and Australia that do not issue Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement. 

Not sure what you are trying to say.

A non-o visa would only allow a 90 day entry. I assume if a person had a multiple entry non-o visa that might be accepted for for COE.

It you mean a extension of stay based upon retirement of the 90 day entry from a non-o visa that is already being accepted.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

In some countries like USA and Australia, the Thai Embassy does not issue 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

But what if you are a US or Australian citizen, and presently in your home-country with a valid permission to stay (protected by a Re-Entry Permit) of the 1-year extension for reason of retirement , based on the original Non Imm O Visa you applied for while in Thailand.

Would that valid permission to stay of your Non Imm O  retirement extension, allow you to apply for the CoE in your home-country (even if your home-country does not issue such Visa).?

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

In some countries like USA and Australia, the Thai Embassy does not issue 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

Probably because there's no such thing. 90 day non-o visa with which you can then apply for a 12 month extension of stay on the grounds of retirement.

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Would that valid permission to stay of your Non Imm O  retirement extension, allow you to apply for the CoE in your home-country (even if your home-country does not issue such Visa).?

Of course the would accept the extension of stay based upon retirement that extended a non-o visa entry. The extension is based upon retirement not the type of visa you used to enter the country or that was issued by immigration.

32 minutes ago, polpott said:

Probably because there's no such thing. 90 day non-o visa with which you can then apply for a 12 month extension of stay on the grounds of retirement.

Yes there is.

You can apply for a non-o visa at some embassies and consulates that allows a 90 day entry that can be extended for one year based upon retirement.

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes there is.

You can apply for a non-o visa at some embassies and consulates that allows a 90 day entry that can be extended for one year based upon retirement.

Which is what I said except you are extending your permission to stay not the visa. A 90 day non-O isn't based on retirement. If you have a non-O does it say retirement on it? No. That word is only used on your extension of permission to stay.

33 minutes ago, polpott said:

Which is what I said except you are extending your permission to stay not the visa. A 90 day non-O isn't based on retirement. If you have a non-O does it say retirement on it? No. That word is only used on your extension of permission to stay.

This is part of the application which uses the retirement word.

image.png.b4f8eaf0d9904d7619c7f2589078d004.png

1 hour ago, polpott said:

I just checked my Passport again.

When CW issued me my Non O, they gave me four stamps in my Passport. One of them states clearly "NON-O-RETIREMENT", stating the original date of validity of that Non O Visa. And i remember, when i filled the request for my NON O, i had to give reason for the NON-O. I just wrote: retirement.

Sure, on the given extension of stay, they add the stamp "RETIREMENT" as well. But the original stamp definitally included the wording "NON-O-RETIREMENT".

John

17 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thanks for the info! Just submitted my application for COE thanks to your post. Very cautiously optimistic that I may finally be able to return to wife, life, house and pets after 8 LONG months separated. Also...hopefully in time to get out of ASQ and renew my "Retirement Extension" which expires on 3 January. :thumbsup:

But you were already entitled to apply by virtue of being married to a THAI and using your non imm O retirement visa extension weren’t you? You’d have to have uploaded marriage certificate etc. unless you didn’t have those ?

I am now thinking of finessing the period for which I would have to buy COVID insurance.  My extension of stay expires on May 13th.  If I were to return to Japan to move out of my house in March and returned to Thailand in mid- to late April,  my COVID insurance would only need to last until May 13th, right?  I would renew my extension in late April or early May and assume that I wouldn’t need to extend my COVID insurance at that time. Does that sound doable?  What could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

I am now thinking of finessing the period for which I would have to buy COVID insurance.  My extension of stay expires on May 13th.  If I were to return to Japan to move out of my house in March and returned to Thailand in mid- to late April,  my COVID insurance would only need to last until May 13th, right?  I would renew my extension in late April or early May and assume that I wouldn’t need to extend my COVID insurance at that time. Does that sound doable?  What could possibly go wrong?

You could do that. But I think I would plan on returning earlier than late April in case there was a delay.

You will not need covid insurance to apply for your extension of stay,

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A non-o visa would only allow a 90 day entry. I assume if a person had a multiple entry non-o visa that might be accepted for for COE.

It you mean a extension of stay based upon retirement of the 90 day entry from a non-o visa that is already being accepted.

Not yet showing in websites of Thai Emb and consulates in US nor on the Thai Embassy in Cambodia website. Hopefully just a matter iof time...

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not need covid insurance to apply for your extension of stay,

Hi Joe, are you saying that those having entered Thailand during the last months on the CoE and - when their permission to stay almost expires - will be applying in-country for an extension of stay, that they need covid-19 insurance as an additional requirement on top of their regular extension of stay application???

32 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Any number of things could go wrong, the worst being a further tightening of entry requirements/who is allowed to enter (likely only if COVID situation worsens in country, but it could. A few highly publicized incidents already).

You probably can't get a policy for less than 30 days anyhow.  And cost difference between 30 and 60 day policy (from tgia)  for someone coming from Japan is under 2000 baht.

If it were me and assuming you can now enter Japan, I would make the trip sooner rather than later in case there is a reversal or tightening of requirements further down the road.

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Joe, are you saying that those having entered Thailand during the last months on the CoE and - when their permission to stay almost expires - will be applying in-country for an extension of stay, that they need covid-19 insurance as an additional requirement on top of their regular extension of stay application???

No

That was typo that is fixed now.

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not yet showing in websites of Thai Emb and consulates in US nor on the Thai Embassy in Cambodia website. Hopefully just a matter iof time...

It is shown on the certificate of entry website now.

image.png.de9a24869bf9375c3b8195c8f2acfc8e.png

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is shown on the certificate of entry website now.

image.png.de9a24869bf9375c3b8195c8f2acfc8e.png

Joe, where is that from? I don't see it on either NY Consulate, Washington DC Embassy nor PP Embassy websites.

PP does not seem to have an online COE application process, have to go in person.  This is what shows on the COE application for both NY and DC:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 5.18.36 PM.png

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

None of the three sites mentioned take you there.

Most others are using it. 

The embassy in DC has informed a person by email that will do them for those with retirement extension but it is not shown on the website yet.

Thanks for the comments.   I will give myself a 60 cushion for my return from Japan if I go before May.  I will keep my eye on the reaction to vaccines and treatments to see if I can avoid the 2+2 weeks of quarantine by going later.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:36 PM, wayne07836 said:

Lets hope this is the start of some good news for some of us being able to return to Thailand but I do have a few questions if someone is able to help me out;

I am a UK passport holder currently working overseas in Afghanistan, I have a Non O with extension of stay based on retirement and a multi entry permit valid until early February. 

Under normal circumstances I would simply fly out from Afghanistan to Dubai and then fly on to Thailand, but under the new requirements would I have to fly back to the UK and get a COE from the Thai Embassy in London prior to traveling to Thailand? 

Does the COE application require a personal visit to the Embassy or is this something that can be arranged online or via email?

I do have seasoned finances in a Thai Bank Account but I would need to arrange the medical insurance cover for the Covid requirement, can anyone suggest a good insurance broker and cost, and how long would the policy would need to be valid for? I ask this question because I already have my own international medical insurance but I am not sure it would meet some of the stipulations that have been previously suggested. 

I would like to thank you in advance for any constructive comments ????     

Wayne, I looked at the MFA website and it looks like you can apply for the COE in Afghanistan via the Royal Thai Embassy in Islamabad.  Good luck.

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:
14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can't imagine that there would be many folk with a current valid permission of stay of extension to non o retirement. They presumably exited Thailand prior to late march. //

Is it really relevant how many there are?

I have seen at least half a dozen threads on here where people on a Retirement Extension had departed Thailand in pre-lockdown Q1 and were concerned that their type of extension was not mentioned when Non-O visa for marriage/family and extensions thereof were recently added to the CoE permission list. I imagine there's a whole slew of them exhaling right now and are already chasing things with their local Thai embassies. //

Hi. I agree with @DrJack54 that there must not be so many folk concerned now.

I am one of the unlucky ones who saw his retirement extension expiring while stranded abroad :sad: and with about 8 months already since Thailand closed its border, you can think that - statistically - about 2/3 of Non-O abroad had their extension expired too :sad:

So, most people you are talking about are just thinking "Too late"...

16 hours ago, Scott424 said:

Wayne, I looked at the MFA website and it looks like you can apply for the COE in Afghanistan via the Royal Thai Embassy in Islamabad.  Good luck.

Scott,

Thanks for the reply, do you know if I can apply in Dubai as I am on a Military Base and don't actually venture out into Afghanistan.

After reading some of the very useful comments on here I am going to check out this website and see if the process is available online  https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

Archived