SURVEY: Will Thailand stave off the virus until a vaccine is available?

Scott

SURVEY: Will Thailand stave off the virus until a vaccine is available?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thailand has done very well with keeping the virus in check.  There have been a few cases of COVID, including a recent case involving a Dutch man who tested positive and was in contact with a large number of people.   In your opinion, is Thailand going to be able to keep the virus out until a vaccine is widely available?

Please free to leave a comment.

For further reading:

With only .03% tested there are no one sure of how many cases there are here. Thailand is 2nd from the bottom with education and many who may have it just thinks it is the flu. I also notice the returning to Thailand on Thai Visa from 5 to 10 people daily are testing positive for the virus.

These numbers are never seen on the corvid report. 

• Like 1

I think Thailand will get a bigger Covid problem within the next months. Now they allow even tourists from high risk countries to enter. And as seen so far the arrivals are not always free of Covid. And the question is how many will not be discovered. And when the tourists are in the country they often move to several places and have contact to many different people. Or just imagine a bar hopper that has Corona. Or such a guy in a Disco that is full of people. I have a bad feeling... 

• Like 1

Thailand did surprisingly well largely due to the people, medical personnel, hospitals, universities, and business owners who took it in stride without making a fuss.They didn't get ensnared in all the Western science about who, what, when, where, and how to wear masks. They approached the problem Thai style using available resources, not forgetting they were the first outside China to sequence the genome.

Some things were in their favor, possibly the climate and the less infectious 614D strain that spread early throughout S. E. Asia. One concern is a tourist or returnee from the West triggering a fast spreading event, in which case they need to hop on it fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So vaccines are coming.

That's great.

Will Thailand use their own vaccine or a "foreign" one?

The beginning of vaccine availability is only the beginning.

It takes several months for it to be widely available.

Then months after that to have a major effect IF a very large percentage of the population actually gets the jabs. Plural because it's looking like two jabs will be needed depending on the vaccine.

So I'm concerned that Thailand (like most other countries) is going to see the announcement of vaccines as an instant magic bullet and not even have mass compliance.

So bottom line I'm really not sure what's in store for Thailand.

We already have stories of other countries that had good control and then didn't. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Somchai Jackson said:

Fake news.  Where are the published facts that Thailand is suppressing testing?  Source? 
Thailand is doing a stellar job though progressive modern health policy.  Even the WHO acknowledges that.

Yes and WHO is saying Indonesia is doing well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Yes and WHO is saying Indonesia is doing well

Thailand's COVID testing on a per capita basis, meaning adjusted for population, is relatively low compared to other countries.

Screenshot_6.jpg.e0eef1cd8171d3b96dabbe8e3f127c27.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-cumulative-total-tests-per-thousand?yScale=log&time=2020-02-20..latest&country=HKG~THA~GBR~USA~Singapore%2C people tested~PHL~MMR~JPN~IDN~CHN

3 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

Thailand's COVID testing on a per capita basis, meaning adjusted for population, is relatively low compared to other countries.

Screenshot_6.jpg.e0eef1cd8171d3b96dabbe8e3f127c27.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-cumulative-total-tests-per-thousand?yScale=log&time=2020-02-20..latest&country=HKG~THA~GBR~USA~Singapore%2C people tested~PHL~MMR~JPN~IDN~CHN

This shows if your people act like idiots, or your politicians are weak, no matter how much testing is done you're in big trouble. Moderna's vaccine is 94.5% effective. It will be ready to go in a couple months. Hot spots can be brought under control on a priority basis. I think we are close to stamping this scrooge out. Just be careful untill that happens. 

45 minutes ago, pegman said:

This shows if your people act like idiots, or your politicians are weak, no matter how much testing is done you're in big trouble. Moderna's vaccine is 94.5% effective. It will be ready to go in a couple months. Hot spots can be brought under control on a priority basis. I think we are close to stamping this scrooge out. Just be careful untill that happens. 

Hold your horses.

If all goes well, it will likely be available in the U.S. in a few months for the very high risk / front line health workers ONLY.

Then several months before being available for the masses.

Then the masses actually have to get their probably TWO doses.

The Moderna vaccine sounds like the best so far because even though two doses only needs normal refrigeration. 

But is Thailand on the list of countries with good and fast access to it?

Does anyone know?

Wasn't there an item recently that Thailand is interested in using their own developed vaccine that (correct me if I'm wrong) has only been tested on animals?
I'm the opposite of an anti-vaccer but that doesn't sound very good!

There is some irony in the U.S. situation.

Absolutely the most tragically bad response to the pandemic, befouled by absurd political conflict over basic health measures such as mask wearing.

Yet now it appears that the U.S. is in the driver's seat on vaccines.

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hold your horses.

If all goes well, it will likely be available in the U.S. in a few months for the very high risk / front line health workers ONLY.

Then several months before being available for the masses.

Then the masses actually have to get their probably TWO doses.

The Moderna vaccine sounds like the best so far because even though two doses only needs normal refrigeration. 

But is Thailand on the list of countries with good and fast access to it?

Does anyone know?

Wasn't there an item recently that Thailand is interested in using their own developed vaccine that (correct me if I'm wrong) has only been tested on animals?
I'm the opposite of an anti-vaccer but that doesn't sound very good!

There will likely be factories all over the world producing these vaccines so who cares what Loony Toons USA do. Chances are they will be in civil war by then anyhow. Thailand will license a vaccine that has a high degree of confidence and produce its own. Travellers will then flood in with proof of vaccination.  Normalcy is near. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, pegman said:

There will likely be factories all over the world producing these vaccines so who cares what Loony Toons USA do. Chances are they will be in civil war by then anyhow. Thailand will license a vaccine that has a high degree of confidence and produce its own. Travellers will then flood in with proof of vaccination.  Normalcy is near. 

If you say so.

But vaccines with over 90 percent effectiveness rate that don't need extraordinary temperature control don't grow on trees.

In fact, it has been considered adequate to push out a vaccine that has only 50 percent effectiveness.

But you act like you can predict the details of the future on this, but sorry, not buying your bravado.

Too early for such wildly optimistic timing projections.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If you say so.

But vaccines with over 90 percent effectiveness rate that don't need extraordinary temperature control don't grow on trees.

In fact, it has been considered adequate to push out a vaccine that has only 50 percent effectiveness.

But you act like you can predict the details of the future on this, but sorry, not buying your bravado.

Too early for such wildly optimistic timing projections.

Well, I've pretty much always been a leftie optimist. Just like my avatar  pic who was a countryman of yourself. Governments will move  heaven and earth  to get this situation under control. Let's revisit this in March. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So vaccines are coming.

That's great.

Will Thailand use their own vaccine or a "foreign" one?

The beginning of vaccine availability is only the beginning.

It takes several months for it to be widely available.

Then months after that to have a major effect IF a very large percentage of the population actually gets the jabs. Plural because it's looking like two jabs will be needed depending on the vaccine.

So I'm concerned that Thailand (like most other countries) is going to see the announcement of vaccines as an instant magic bullet and not even have mass compliance.

So bottom line I'm really not sure what's in store for Thailand.

We already have stories of other countries that had good control and then didn't. 

Agree on timing.  The vaccine tests ongoing in UK on x,000 people at the moment are expected to show results in 8 to 9 months. The results may be good or bad. 

15 hours ago, Somchai Jackson said:

As the WHO noted Thailand is a role model for the world when it comes to controlling Covid.  The UN and WHO should pick a Thai Covid advisor to teach the rest of the world.  England and the US could learn a thing or two from these proactive Thais.

You didn't put LOL or 555 after your post.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pegman said:

so who cares what Loony Toons USA do

Giant Chicken "Foghorn Leghorn" currently squatting in his Henhouse(WH) is gonna rage tweet at you

Prepare for his Hate Army outside your door any moment to be "Liberated"...Looney tunes cancelled jan 20th..

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Agree on timing.  The vaccine tests ongoing in UK on x,000 people at the moment are expected to show results in 8 to 9 months. The results may be good or bad. 

Don't know about elsewhere but the Minister  of Procurement for the federal government in Canada was just on the news and she says we're ready to go.  The military here will be deployed to look after logistics. No hysterics, no  bombastic grandstanding, no nonsense just get 'er done. We did  have a few lunatics over the weekend protesting about wearing a mask but they will be receiving a $1300 ticket in the mail shortly. 

• Confused 1