Tabien Baan

Have any of you fellow condo owners in Thailand bothered to convert your blue tabien baan to a yellow one (specifically for farang) and are there any benefits in so doing? I’ve had my condo for 9 years but haven’t ever been asked to show the book.

(Moderators please move this if not appropriate here).

You don't convert your blue book to a yellow one, but you get would get the yellow one additionally to the blue one, to register foreigners living at your place in it.

If your name is in the yellow book you can use it to proof your address, instead of having to get a certificate of residence from immigration. The main use cases are for applying/extending a driving license and when registering a vehicle in your name.

I understand that if a condo owner holds a yellow tabien baan he will be exempt from the new land and property tax. 

"Under the Act, individuals holding residential land and buildings as shown in a house registration certificate (primary residential property) on January 1 in any given tax year will receive a tax base exemption, as follows:

·   50 million baht for an individual who owns both land and buildings; and

·   10 million baht for an individual who only owns buildings.

Those who own multiple residential properties will only receive a tax base exemption for their primary residential properties."

1 minute ago, chub said:

I understand that if a condo owner holds a yellow tabien baan he will be exempt from the new land and property tax. 

"Under the Act, individuals holding residential land and buildings as shown in a house registration certificate (primary residential property) on January 1 in any given tax year will receive a tax base exemption, as follows:

·   50 million baht for an individual who owns both land and buildings; and

·   10 million baht for an individual who only owns buildings.

Those who own multiple residential properties will only receive a tax base exemption for their primary residential properties."

Yes, there is no tax on your primary residential property (the one you live in). Being in a yellow book is one of the ways to show you live in the property and not elsewhere. Its just one way of proving you live in the property you own. In the absence o a yellow book, the local ampher would accept other proof such as  a letter from the condo office, elec bills etc.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:38 AM, Peterw42 said:

Yes, there is no tax on your primary residential property (the one you live in). Being in a yellow book is one of the ways to show you live in the property and not elsewhere. Its just one way of proving you live in the property you own. In the absence o a yellow book, the local ampher would accept other proof such as  a letter from the condo office, elec bills etc.

If this is correct why have I received and paid a bill?

21 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

If this is correct why have I received and paid a bill?

Unless the ampher knows you are an owner occupier they will send a bill, they are not mind readers. 

Its up to you to tell the ampher that you are an owner occupier.

My local ampher in Pattaya did audits late last year to verify if people were owner occupiers, a paper turned up in the mail and if you ticked the owner and occupier box, and sent it back, a bill isn't sent out. I belive they also asked condo offices for lists of owner occupiers. ideally an ampher would also check ownership against blue/yellow book registrations before sending a bill.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:10 AM, jackdd said:

You don't convert your blue book to a yellow one, but you get would get the yellow one additionally to the blue one, to register foreigners living at your place in it.

If your name is in the yellow book you can use it to proof your address, instead of having to get a certificate of residence from immigration. The main use cases are for applying/extending a driving license and when registering a vehicle in your name.

I have thai company owing house, I have 3 leasehold condos.. ALL have blue book.. the condos have my name in it, and I haver heard or seen about no yellow book only on this forum....

22 minutes ago, Seeall said:

I have thai company owing house, I have 3 leasehold condos.. ALL have blue book.. the condos have my name in it, and I haver heard or seen about no yellow book only on this forum....

You can only have your name in a blue book if you are a Thai citizen or you have been granted Permanent Residence. Even then, you can only have your name in one blue book at any one time.

7 hours ago, blackcab said:

You can only have your name in a blue book if you are a Thai citizen or you have been granted Permanent Residence. Even then, you can only have your name in one blue book at any one time.

As owner not someone staying over..

2 hours ago, Seeall said:

As owner not someone staying over..

A blue book has nothing to do with the ownership of a property. A blue book is a list of Thai citizens and Permanent Residents who are registered at the property.

As I mentioned before, one person can be registered in one blue book at one time. Multiple concurrent registrations are not possible.

21 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Unless the ampher knows you are an owner occupier they will send a bill, they are not mind readers. 

Its up to you to tell the ampher that you are an owner occupier.

My local ampher in Pattaya did audits late last year to verify if people were owner occupiers, a paper turned up in the mail and if you ticked the owner and occupier box, and sent it back, a bill isn't sent out. I belive they also asked condo offices for lists of owner occupiers. ideally an ampher would also check ownership against blue/yellow book registrations before sending a bill.

Thanks. I have a yellow book and was wondering why I wasn't billed. There were notices in our building to pay by a certain date (end of August I think). Spoke to the building manager and she showed me a list of our units with those owned and occupied highlighted so I guess she was in communication with the Amphur on this matter. When I got the yellow book they gave me back the blue book so I have both for my condo.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:54 AM, Londinium said:

are there any benefits in so doing?

None IMHO if your amphur is one of those which insists on you jumping through a number of tedious bureaucratic hoops first. Just as mine did as part of an unsuccessful attempt on my part to apply for this much-hallowed yellow book several years ago. I was required to obtain a proof of address letter in person from my home country Embassy in Bangkok, then get this translated into Thai and then get the certified translation verified by the MFA. After successfully navigating these hoops, though, I fell at the final fence when some observant official back at the amphur noticed that the Thai transliteration of my surname in the duly-processed Embassy letter did not exactly match my wife's as stated in her blue tabien baan. At which point I gave up trying to obtain a yellow book as a bad job and, to be perfectly honest, haven't looked back since. But, there again, I have never felt any burning desire to get behind the steering vehicle of a moving vehicle on the highways and byeways of LOS, nor trade in motor vehicles.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

With yellow tabian ban you can then get the pink Thai ID card which is extremely useful and can be used in most situations where a Thai would use an ID card. 

In basically all situations where the pink id card can be used, a Thai driving license can be used as well.

11 hours ago, blackcab said:

A blue book has nothing to do with the ownership of a property. A blue book is a list of Thai citizens and Permanent Residents who are registered at the property.

As I mentioned before, one person can be registered in one blue book at one time. Multiple concurrent registrations are not possible.

Maybe he has his name as "housemaster" in the blue book, so technically his name is in a blue book. But because he is not registered as "resident" it isn't a proof of address.

I don't know if somebody can be the housemaster in multiple blue books.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

In basically all situations where the pink id card can be used, a Thai driving license can be used as well.

I have not found that to be the case.

Can't use drivers license to mail a parcel, registre a car,  enrol in frequent shopper club, set up PEA online accobnt etc.

Many transactions are set up for 13 digit ID number.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I have not found that to be the case.

Can't use drivers license to mail a parcel, registre a car,  enrol in frequent shopper club, set up PEA online accobnt etc.

Many transactions are set up for 13 digit ID number.

Not sure about the rest but i send mail domestic and intl with my drivers license all the time 

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Maybe he has his name as "housemaster" in the blue book, so technically his name is in a blue book. But because he is not registered as "resident" it isn't a proof of address.

You cannot be listed as a housemaster or listed as a resident in a blue book unless you are a Thai citizen or a Permanent Resident.

The housemaster is resident at the address listed in the blue book, the same as any other resident's registration.

Nobody can be listed in more than one house book at the same time.

9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. I have a yellow book and was wondering why I wasn't billed. There were notices in our building to pay by a certain date (end of August I think). Spoke to the building manager and she showed me a list of our units with those owned and occupied highlighted so I guess she was in communication with the Amphur on this matter. When I got the yellow book they gave me back the blue book so I have both for my condo.

Your Yellow book didn't save you a great deal.

I was taxed 33 baht on my 60sq metre condo.  

The Pink ID and Yellow Tabien ban are most certainly not ‘need to have' documents… but they are ‘nice to have’ and make somethings a little more convenient. 

None of the advantages of having the Pink ID card and Yellow Tabien Baan are significant, but having one makes like a little simpler, easier and at times cheaper. 

Ive lost count of the times I’ve gone into a bank only to be told I can’t do what I need without a passport (which I never want to carry around with me).

Pink ID card: 

-       Paid the Thai Price entering National Parks (40 baht instead of 200 baht)

-       Checking into Hotels (without passport)

-       Carrying in wallet instead of carrying passport around

-       Opening Bank account (without work permit)

-       International mail (instead of passport / can also be done with DL in ’some’ post offices)

-       Banking (at the bank, instead of using Passport as proof of ID)

Yellow Tabien Baan:

-       Ownership of car (as proof of address instead of 2500 baht *Embassy document)

-       Driving License (as proof of address instead of 2500 baht *Embassy document)

(*not carried out 90 day report so can’t get proof of address from immigration)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 9:49 AM, jackdd said:

His name as "housemaster" cannot be in any blue book.... Only Th Nationals or PR , can have their names in blue book . i.e. starting Pg 2 is my name in TH, Pg 3 & 4 are children with their official address at my place.....

On 11/21/2020 at 11:29 AM, Seeall said:

Impossible...... Cannot have your name in blue book if you are not Th National or PR. In case you happen to be PR you can have your name in only 1 blue book. If your name is in blue book it means this is your official and only place of residence.....

Archived