Scotland's Sturgeon puts UK on independence warning: We want a referendum soon

webfact

15 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

So you come out with an opinion that Scotland is a nation built on racism and bigotry and in your very first line when I refuted that you say thats only my opinion?

I was talking about the Scots. You are maybe talking about your inability to reconcile how the Brexit vote went?  Either way, I don't see that as coming close to refuting anything I have stated. Much the same way as I don't agree the Brexit result warrants another referendum. The vanity project that the Scottish Independence vote was for Salmond has simply become a straw clutch for the SNP.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

I was talking about the Scots. You are maybe talking about your inability to reconcile how the Brexit vote went?  Either way, I don't see that as coming close to refuting anything I have stated. Much the same way as I don't agree the Brexit result warrants another referendum. The vanity project that it was for Salmond has simply become a straw clutch for the SNP.

I was also talking about the Scots who you accused of being racists and bigots.

Yet Scotland voted to remain in the EU.

How does that square with your belief that Scotland is full of racists and bigots? Surely such people would have voted FOR Brexit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

How does that square with your belief that Scotland is full of racists and bigots? Surely such people would have voted FOR Brexit.

Scottish people are typically the same race as Europeans (apart from the ethnic minorities) , so the Brexit vote doesnt show or prove anything

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You are the one posting pictures of Nigels' infamous "dirty immigrant" poster. That's your conflation, not mine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Scottish people are typically the same race as Europeans (apart from the ethnic minorities) , so the Brexit vote doesnt show or prove anything

You think that Scots are ethnically closer to Europeans than our cousins south of the border?

Absolute tosh. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

You are the one posting pictures of Nigels' infamous "dirty immigrant" poster. That's your conflation, not mine.

Yes to prove that many Brexit voters did so because of immigration. Some on here even revel in it.

But at least those guys are honest and dont try and pretend they voted because of something else. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

What happens in Scotland after independence will not concern you.

Well actually, it will. You see Scotland has a land border with the UK so we'd need to make sure you guys put up and police a hard border so we don't have any issues with illegals coming over into the UK from Scotland. This is especially true if you manage to get into the EU (although if you do, the terms of your access would be absolutely terrible since according to you, the A-side in negotiations can demand whatever they like). But if you decided to take it in the rear from Brussels then we'd need to make sure the border with Scotland isn't used for smuggling goods in and out of the UK. 

Also, you'd be using our currency for a few years so whilst we won't take you guys into consideration when setting our monetary policy, I'm sure there will be plenty whingeing when The Bank of England's decisions adversely affects you, which they would. Thankfully it would just be distant moaning voices from over the border since you'd no longer have a voice in our Parliament, so no Ian Blackford, another big win for us.

Also, we are your largest trading partner so when your economy tanked and businesses started going under we'd have to be prepared to source from elsewhere. This is probably the least serious issue though.

So yes, the chaos in Scotland would be a concern for the UK should it happen, which it won't.

20 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Simple. You hate the English and will accept pretty much anything to be independent from us, even if that means leaving the UK to be subjugated by the EU. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

One country ? So why four different national footbal teams ?

and 4 different teams in any other sport as well, but that's a United Kingdom (one for each(me) and each for one(me)) 555

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Blackford can barely contain his hate of the English. He embarrassed himself again this week, tweeting his true feelings about English in Scotland then having to backtrack and apologise when he realized the facts. Bigoted much? Classic SNP.????

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55058408

image.png.f620c7f131acde4d28d6244e2676ee9f.png

image.png.60f6aa10c1843d84076db1ecd00daa0c.png

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Blackford can barely contain his hate of the English. He embarrassed himself again this week, tweeting his true feelings about English in Scotland then having to backtrack and apologise when he realized the facts. Bigoted much? Classic SNP.????

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55058408

image.png.f620c7f131acde4d28d6244e2676ee9f.png

image.png.60f6aa10c1843d84076db1ecd00daa0c.png

How is any of that a display of anti Englishness? 

You really are at the bottom of the barrel now.

Now while I accept there are a few people in Scotland who genuinely hate the English they are a tiny minority the rest of us treat with contempt and disdain. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I think it would be fair to wait a decade to see the long term effects of Brexit

Seems reasonable. 

Of course there are/will be negative/positive speculations. 

The same for the future of the E.U., without the important contribution of the U.K..

Maybe they can handle it, handle it a few years, not able to handle it. 

Time will tell. 

Also other nations will decide after a decade (based on the long term effects) if they will follow the steps of the U.K., or not. 

Here also this won't stop actual, and further in time, speculations. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Now while I accept there are a few people in Scotland who genuinely hate the English they are a tiny minority the rest of us treat with contempt and disdain. 

He jumped down the guys throat on the basis of him being English before realizing the guy had been there for months. Later had to backtrack and apologise. What a mug.

It's the equivalent of seeing a black guy in the street in London, assuming he came over from Africa last week and stopping him to insist he tells you what he's doing there, before being informed he was born there. An incredibly ignorant statement. Laughably ignorant. Yet this is Blackford, a senior figure in the SNP. It tells us a lot. Amazing.

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

He jumped down the guys throat on the basis of him being English before realizing the guy had been there for months. Later had to backtrack and apologise. What a mug.

It's the equivalent of seeing a black guy in the street in London, assuming he came over from Africa last week and stopping him to insist he tells you what he's doing there, before being informed he was born there. An incredibly ignorant statement. Laughably ignorant. Yet this is Blackford, a senior figure in the SNP. It tells us a lot. Amazing.

Why have YOU assumed its because he is English?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Simple. You hate the English and will accept pretty much anything to be independent from us, even if that means leaving the UK to be subjugated by the EU. 

Just to note, countries are not subjugated by the EU - all member states have to vote.

A good example of this would be Hungary and Poland. Those countries don't really fit in with the rest of the EU as they constantly break with EU law. Those two countries are actually holding up an almost 1.9 trillion Euro budget - even though they would be receipients of billions of Euros, in GRANTS and loans.

Why are they rejecting this? Because there is a clause in the budget which states the EU would be able to block funds to countries who do not follow the rule of law;

Ludovic Orban, Romania’s centre-right prime minister, has chastised his Hungarian and Polish counterparts for blocking the EU budget and coronavirus recovery fund, warning that their stance threatens economic assistance that the continent sorely needs. “Saying that you don’t agree to the [budget] package because you don’t agree to the connection between rule of law and using European funds is not supportable, because all EU countries should respect the rule of law,” Mr Orban told the Financial Times. Last week, Warsaw and Budapest set out their opposition to a mechanism that makes the disbursement of EU taxpayers’ money conditional on respect for fundamental principles including the independence of the judiciary.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Just to note, countries are not subjugated by the EU - all member states have to vote.

A good example of this would be Hungary and Poland. Those countries don't really fit in with the rest of the EU as they constantly break with EU law. Those two countries are actually holding up an almost 1.9 trillion Euro budget - even though they would be receipients of billions of Euros, in GRANTS and loans.

Why are they rejecting this? Because there is a clause in the budget which states the EU would be able to block funds to countries who do not follow the rule of law;

Ludovic Orban, Romania’s centre-right prime minister, has chastised his Hungarian and Polish counterparts for blocking the EU budget and coronavirus recovery fund, warning that their stance threatens economic assistance that the continent sorely needs. “Saying that you don’t agree to the [budget] package because you don’t agree to the connection between rule of law and using European funds is not supportable, because all EU countries should respect the rule of law,” Mr Orban told the Financial Times. Last week, Warsaw and Budapest set out their opposition to a mechanism that makes the disbursement of EU taxpayers’ money conditional on respect for fundamental principles including the independence of the judiciary.

You can easily demonstrate the EU is more democratic than the UK.

The UK did not need the permission of the EU to hold a referendum. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingdong said:

Then they voted in " new labour "and found out to their cost they were even worse.

That's right, you keep tugging your forelock and letting your betters take charge whilst enjoying servicing 2 trillion pounds of debt and the lowest pension in Western Europe. Its good to see that you know your place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Thats a long winded way of saying "I get to determine who is held to account over what they say".

Show me anywhere that "once in a generation" is legally binding.

If you cant then whether is an idiom, turn of phrase or signs of a grumbling appendix is asinine. 

How can 'once in lifetime' be an idiom when it means what it says. Maybe you could offer a link to substantiate it is an idiom, well you cannot, because it isn't, it is what it says, simples.

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Why have YOU assumed its because he is English?

Because Blackford specifically stated his Englishness in his tweet. The first thing he mentioned in fact. Does he not realize some English people reside in Scotland for long periods of time? Ignorant beyond belief.

One one hand you assume all Brexiteers are racist bigots, on the other hand you think one cannot assume anything whatsoever based on Blackford's tweet. Another classic SNP double standard. 

Blackford has already apologized while you continue to defend him.

image.png.04f588cb03e5fa4f47e03535f4462886.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

How can 'once in lifetime' be an idiom when it means what it says. Maybe you could offer a link to substantiate it is an idiom, well you cannot, because it isn't, it is what it says, simples.

Is the statement "Once in a generation" legally binding yes or no?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Aye... right...

Just now, JonnyF said:

Because Blackford specifically stated his Englishness in his tweet. The first thing he mentioned in fact. Does he not realize some English people reside in Scotland for long periods of time? Ignorant beyond belief.

One one hand you assume all Brexiteers are racist bigots, on the other hand you think one cannot assume anything whatsoever based on Blackford's tweet. Another classic SNP double standard. 

Blackford has already apologized while you continue to defend him.

image.png.04f588cb03e5fa4f47e03535f4462886.png

He was making reference to where he thought he lived not the fact that he is English.

And you say the Scots have a chip on their shoulder ????

• Like 1