Thailand’s 5 year visa with condo purchase scheme will do little to spur real estate market, says Thai media

webfact

51 minutes ago, Emdog said:

How about a one year free visa if you buy a condo over a million? In that year you could figure out way to extend it, or maybe just sell to next guy in line... spitballing here...

Good and sensible idea, make it renewable based on the retention of the property. You get extended if you still own/live there. Easy. 

Other ideas; lifetime visas and the like are pie in the sky. They hold on to residency and citizenship here like they hold onto their balls. 

And that is never going to change. Just look at the West. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Good and sensible idea, make it renewable based on the retention of the property. You get extended if you still own/live there. Easy. 

Other ideas; lifetime visas and the like are pie in the sky. They hold on to residency and citizenship here like they hold onto their balls. 

And that is never going to change. Just look at the West. 

But a one year visa is hardly an enticement.  

The Elite Visa used to be for life.  Why not bring that back?  I am on a retirement visa (extension) using the 800k in the bank renewal method,  but if was offered an Elite Visa...that didn’t expire in 20 years...I’d consider buying one.  If the holder of said visa has sufficient health insurance, I don’t see why the government here would be opposed to it.  It’s not like it comes with voting rights or even the ability to own land (I agree with Thailand’s stance on that fwiw).  They could even throw in the stipulation of an 800k bank balance to help shore up their banks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Airalee said:

That link has nothing in Asia, but as I understand a "qualified" investment of over $300k+ in Cambodia can grant your citizenship within around six months. I have not looked into it, so there may be other requirements that makes it harder than it first looks.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Their assessment is that it won't make a blind bit of difference compared to the massive stockpile of unsold condominiums

Oh the horrors, oh the shock, oh the dismay. Que the politicians jumping out of the windows to save face instead of doing it the Japanese way of Harikari. For those who must know Harikari is the ritual suicide by disembowelment with a sword, formerly practiced in Japan by samurai as an honorable alternative to disgrace or execution, perfect for those in power.

Edited by ThailandRyan

58 minutes ago, Cat Boy said:

My retirement extension costs 1,900 baht for 1 year. 5 years would be 9,500 baht. Why I would spend 10,000,000 baht on a condo to save 9,500 baht (or 600,000 baht for the ridiculous Elite visa) baffles me. 

Assuming no funds to support retirement 5 years would only cost say 65,000 max through an agent, still a vast difference leaves you 535,000 to spend on yourself instead of giving it to the government. Before anybody suggests I'm touting for an agent I've never used one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SymS said:

That link has nothing in Asia, but as I understand a "qualified" investment of over $300k+ in Cambodia can grant your citizenship within around six months. I have not looked into it, so there may be other requirements that makes it harder than it first looks.

You can become an Oknya for that money in Cambo.

I'm slowly getting the feeling they're only interested in our money... You should spend 10 million Baht for a condo without having the guarantee to be able to use it longer than 5 years. Visa regulations can change at any time and you don't have a right to stay here. But there might be other problems too. 

I regret already that I bought a big condo here in Pattaya. Due to extreme bar noise and this for years I will move out pretty soon. I have enough. The local government and the police didn't change anything. The condo can't be used anymore. A total loss and sadly I will have to continue to pay the condo fees of several thousands of Baht every month for nothing. No idiot will buy this noisy condo. So the people should be careful in respect of changing visa regulations and other possible problems. Otherwise this 5 year visa can get very expensive. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Another failure plan. Better try unlimited visa for condo purchase above 2 Million. It will bring rice on the table for taxi’s, developers, restaurants, tax departments,    etc..

In the immortal words of Jessie Jay's song

"it's all about the money money money"????????????????????????????????????????????????

43 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

A bit unfair. Buy a condo and get a 5 year visa. Have a family and take care of a Thai family, on the other hand, might get you a 1 year visa or, if you dont have a lot of money on the bank, its a three month visa. 

You have to spend 10 (ten) million Baht to get this visa and you have no idea what will happen after these 5 years. Be happy with a 1 years visa and other much cheaper visa options.

1 hour ago, DPKANKAN said:

In the immortal words of Jessie Jay's song

"it's all about the money money money"????????????????????????????????????????????????

Seems its all about stupidity: As a developer i rather sell 75,000 units for 2M bht a piece then 50 units for 10M Bht a piece.

• Like 1