Joke in bad taste lands actress in trouble with LGBTQI community

webfact

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Is the Thai equivalent of saying how if you 'bleed' something, you epitomize it? You say you pee it? 

I thought it was a reference to the fact that the drug testing agent for urine turns purple with a positive test?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

What the heck is I (intersex)????

People born with both male and female sexual organs.  Can be a mixture of external or internal or both. Previously known as Hermaphrodites but this is no longer a PC term.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Many netizens also panned the Thai entertainment industry for choosing actors of the wrong gender to play LGBTQI roles instead of actual LGBTQI persons.

well, it was a line in bad taste, I don't think she put much forethought in that, honest "oops", nothing to make something big out of it.

choosing the wrong people to play transgenders though is a criticism I share. transgenders we generally see on TV are rarely very feminine looking, and none I saw so far can rival with the most beautiful transgenders seen in cabaret shows.

maybe there is a problem with "kiss" scenes and the subsequent gossip "look! actor X kissed a man". but actors can accept or reject scenarios, and I would expect at least a number of actors to be professional enough to not have a problem with it.

where it becomes puzzling, is that even in the Western TV world, we just don't see very feminine looking transgenders in these roles. I watched a bit the US series "Pose", and all transgenders shown are "obvious", none could be mistaken for a woman.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

People born with both male and female sexual organs.  Can be a mixture of external or internal or both. Previously known as Hermaphrodites but this is no longer a PC term.

I feel quite sorry for them, as that would be difficult to deal with. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

You still can use those words that way but you'd need to be more clear from the context what you actually mean as those usages would now be secondary. However, language usage does change rapidly for many words so it must be convenient for you to have a group of "othered" people to blame for your displeasure about this particular change. Personally, I think that people complaining as you have are simply expressing homophobia in a less direct way. 

I recall the term “queer hawk” being used to describe anyone a bit weird, and not necessarily referring to a gay person.

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I recall the term “queer hawk” being used to describe anyone a bit weird, and not necessarily referring to a gay person.

Interesting. Is that an Irish thing? New to me. 

Quare Hawk - Kildare - Irish phrases and sayings you need to know (irishslang.info)

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

Interesting. Was that a U.K. thing? New to me. 

A Scottish (west of Scotland) term. I don’t think it’s was used in England, and perhaps not in other parts of Scotland either. It’s not used today, at least not by anyone under 70. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

A Scottish (west of Scotland) term. I don’t think it’s was used in England, and perhaps not in other parts of Scotland either. It’s not used today, at least not by anyone under 70. 

In East Scotland, 'queer' is often used in prisons. A queer is someone who break the law, a queer house is a prison.