Zambian and Thai woman arrested after "cash in parcel" scam nets 1.2 million baht

webfact

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

Upstairs Mr Morgan was found along with 16.35 grams of ganja stashed in front of a microwave that he admitted was his.

He admitted the Microwave was his, well then that is an offense to be arrested for.  Must have been cooking the books in the microwave as well.  Damned new spin on the Nigerian Prince scam.  Some people will always believe what they want as greed is a big motivator to cut loose with cash to make more.  Sucks for them, and I despise people who prey on others.  Sort of like the Thai Government preying on their own people and foreigners as well as those Jetski operators and then the loan sharks.

• Like 2

There are many African people in this country whom, with the aid of local women are preying on gullible and unsuspecting people, and if there is this special place in hell for those people.............

Very much like the Nigerian Letter or “419” Fraud

Nigerian letter frauds combine the threat of impersonation fraud with a variation of an advance fee scheme in which a letter mailed, or e-mailed, from Nigeria offers the recipient the “opportunity” to share in a percentage of millions of dollars that the author—a self-proclaimed government official—is trying to transfer illegally out of Nigeria. The recipient is encouraged to send information to the author, such as blank letterhead stationery, bank name and account numbers, and other identifying information using a fax number given in the letter or return e-mail address provided in the message. The scheme relies on convincing a willing victim, who has demonstrated a “propensity for larceny” by responding to the invitation, to send money to the author of the letter in Nigeria in several installments of increasing amounts for a variety of reasons...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ezzra said:

There are many African people in this country whom, with the aid of local women are preying on gullible and unsuspecting people, and if there is this special place in hell for those people.............

Very much like the Nigerian Letter or “419” Fraud

Nigerian letter frauds combine the threat of impersonation fraud with a variation of an advance fee scheme in which a letter mailed, or e-mailed, from Nigeria offers the recipient the “opportunity” to share in a percentage of millions of dollars that the author—a self-proclaimed government official—is trying to transfer illegally out of Nigeria. The recipient is encouraged to send information to the author, such as blank letterhead stationery, bank name and account numbers, and other identifying information using a fax number given in the letter or return e-mail address provided in the message. The scheme relies on convincing a willing victim, who has demonstrated a “propensity for larceny” by responding to the invitation, to send money to the author of the letter in Nigeria in several installments of increasing amounts for a variety of reasons...

Just had a similar thing happened to a friend of mine here, who is in real estate and was contacted by a potential overseas buyer who had millions to spend on properties, and would be flying into Bangkok to meet with my friend.

My friend spoke to me about it and suggested that he thought the potential buyer was genuine because he had outlined his past to him, i.e. that his father was a government minister in Cameroon and had access to millions of US dollars which he wanted to transfer to my friend here in Thailand to buy properties, giving him a good percentage of the supposed funds for handling them.

The unfortunate thing was that my friend was half taken in by it, and I suggested that it was another play on a well-known scam, and I had seen several similar letters previously.

Of course he was disappointed, but it shows these type of letters are still around, and it shows that some people could be convinced by them!!!

a coworker of my exwife at a restaurant at a shopping mall once was told by a stranger she just met on the internet that he wanted to send her a box with money, an i phone, and "gold" , but first she had to transfer money to him "for customs".

it was the most crude and obvious scam. my exwife with dollar signs in her eyes said to me "yeah we know its probably a scam ... BUT WHAT IF ITS NOT!!" she was asking my advice and HOPING i would say something like "it looks like a scam but darn it its a genuine kindhearted stranger just wanting to be nice!"

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In a departure from usual proceedings immigration opted for a projection screen rather than a vinyl board. 

The guy who owned the vinyl board business made so much money that he cashed in and bought a string of ASQ hotels.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Naew Na once again made much of the color of the skin of the Africans involved in this story.

Naew Na repeated their assertions that this was all part of PM Prayuth Chan-ocha's policies of keeping Thailand free of  foreign criminals.

if Naew Na is making much of the color of the skin of the Africans involved in this story, and if one puts that assertion in connection with what is written about PM Prayuth's immigration policy, it seems to me, PM  Prajuth wants first of all to keep thailand free of african criminals, for one thing is sure,  they are more easily detectable

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

if Naew Na is making much of the color of the skin of the Africans involved in this story, and if one puts that assertion in connection with what is written about PM Prayuth's immigration policy, it seems to me, PM  Prajuth wants first of all to keep thailand free of african criminals, for one thing is sure,  they are more easily detectable

Except at night.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, xylophone said:

Just had a similar thing happened to a friend of mine here, who is in real estate and was contacted by a potential overseas buyer who had millions to spend on properties, and would be flying into Bangkok to meet with my friend.

My friend spoke to me about it and suggested that he thought the potential buyer was genuine because he had outlined his past to him, i.e. that his father was a government minister in Cameroon and had access to millions of US dollars which he wanted to transfer to my friend here in Thailand to buy properties, giving him a good percentage of the supposed funds for handling them.

The unfortunate thing was that my friend was half taken in by it, and I suggested that it was another play on a well-known scam, and I had seen several similar letters previously.

Of course he was disappointed, but it shows these type of letters are still around, and it shows that some people could be convinced by them!!!

Hilarious! Glad to see some property developers in Bangkok  suffering because lack of the Chinese's buyers, so thought his luck was in with an African one with lots of money ! Gotta laugh 

I cannot find sympathy in my heart for people who are taken in by this kind of scam. The scammers should at best be locked up for life, if not given the death penalty. I don't care if some say this is a non-violent crime. 

How can anyone be stupid enough to fall for this. They're not targeting uneducated illiterate jungle villagers because they have no money to get the "money" released.